SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

4 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Know someone that ran into a fairly intoxicated Berg this wkd(good for him, deserves to let off steam) and his friend with him said he's going to the NHL.  Now I don't know if his friend is a super reliable source so take it FWIW maybe she misunderstood that he going to the NHL eventually? 

Sounds like a good wing man :D

22 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

big 10 hockey, nil, and hiring coaches that don't play to win.

The most successful programs in terms of NCAA titles recently are UM-Duluth (not a B1G school), Denver (not a B1G school) and Quinnipiac (not a B1G school). This year's Frozen Four features one B1G school (Michigan), one NCHC school (Denver) and two Hockey East schools (BU and BC). Four of the schools I mentioned are small, private schools, one is a four-year public university who plays Division II for all their non-hockey sports and one was from the B1G.

Recent success at the national level has primarily been focused on small, private schools. What are they doing to achieve this success? We should look into it.

19 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

interesting choice of years, why 97?  why not 88?

Because he's making a comparison between 3 coaches. 94-95 would have been a more accurate start date, because that would have then encompassed the coaching careers of both Blais & Hakstol in their entirety; starting at '88 only includes less than a 1/3 of Gasparini's career. But his point still stands.

7 minutes ago, .357 said:

Because he's making a comparison between 3 coaches. 94-95 would have been a more accurate start date, because that would have then encompassed the coaching careers of both Blais & Hakstol in their entirety; starting at '88 only includes less than a 1/3 of Gasparini's career. But his point still stands.

i don't disagree with his point, just seems dishonest to jigger the numbers to help it along,  seems so much like government help / higher ed hubrus / big money companies....

11 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Recent success at the national level has primarily been focused on small, private schools. What are they doing to achieve this success? We should look into it.

Gee, that's a head-scratcher. It certainly isn't because of their head coaches. Successful teams rely on luck, culture & tradition to peak at the right time & go deep in the playoffs year-in, year-out.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, .357 said:

Gee, that's a head-scratcher. It certainly isn't because of their head coaches. Successful teams rely on luck, culture & tradition to peak at the right time & go deep in the playoffs year-in, year-out.

All fairly large markets with nice amenities for the most part, with the exception of Duluth. 

4 minutes ago, crb1 said:

All fairly large markets with nice amenities for the most part, with the exception of Duluth. 

Grand Forks has never been a "large market" compared to other places. And yet, we have 8 NCAA title banners hanging in REA, along with 21 conference title banners.

I think these private schools can sell their excellent academics to potential recruits. That is especially attractive to kids that know they are unlikely to make hockey a career.

34 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

i don't disagree with his point, just seems dishonest to jigger the numbers to help it along,  seems so much like government help / higher ed hubrus / big money companies....

It has nothing to do with "jiggering the numbers" or spinning a narrative; he's making a valid comparison between 3 coaches. No HC making close to half a million/year is above criticism.

1 hour ago, Benny Baker said:

1997-2016: 20 seasons, 11 frozen four appearances, and 3 titles  

2017-2024: 8 seasons, 0 frozen four appearances, and 0 titles  

Is North Dakota’s national tournament performances trending in the right or wrong direction here?

Hell, for two consecutive decades between ‘97-16, UND would more often than not being playing in the frozen four.  Now, we’re closing in a decade without even making it.

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

interesting choice of years, why 97?  why not 88?

29 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Always spin the narrative to your favor.

Why not 88?  When things started trending in the wrong direction??  And UND replaced a 3-time national champion coach during a run a no NCAA tournament success???  Thanks for helping make my point, gentlemen! 

The question was always whether UND's national tournament performance is trending in the right or wrong direction here?  For two decades, the program had success in the national tournament.  That trend of success started during the 1996-1997 season.  Has that trend of success in the national tournament from 97-16 continued during 17-24?  No, it hasn't.  And your efforts to avoid the question only confirm that you agree.

If you're going to complain in the TRANSFER PORTAL thread at least let it be about roster make-up/shape/design. 

UND needs to keep moving from "top 6, bottom 6" to "top 9 plus grind line" design. If the other team has no fear of offense from the bottom six they'll focus all the more on the top six defensively. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Gino/Blais/Hak: 37 seasons, 5 titles, 13.5%
Berry: 9 seasons, 1 title, 11.1% 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If you're going to complain in the TRANSFER PORTAL thread at least let it be about roster make-up/shape/design. 

UND needs to keep moving from "top 6, bottom 6" to "top 9 plus grind line" design. If the other team has no fear of offense from the bottom six they'll focus all the more on the top six defensively. 

Rules for thee, but not for me.

3 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Rules for thee, but not for me.

I realized my error and I'm redirecting. Problem? 
The season thread is wide open for this discussion. 

And no thanks on Cruz Lucius. Seems ASU bound anyway. 

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Know someone that ran into a fairly intoxicated Berg this wkd(good for him, deserves to let off steam) and his friend with him said he's going to the NHL.  Now I don't know if his friend is a super reliable source so take it FWIW maybe she misunderstood that he going to the NHL eventually? 

Sounding like his friend is reliable.