SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-2025 Season

1 hour ago, GoodGood said:

Disagree. You play basketball in an arena made for basketball. No player wants to play in a football stadium or hockey arena. It’s terrible. Plus Betty will be a much better atmosphere 

were you at the und kansas bball game 20 years ago....awesome.

2 hours ago, GoodGood said:

Disagree. You play basketball in an arena made for basketball. No player wants to play in a football stadium or hockey arena. It’s terrible. Plus Betty will be a much better atmosphere 

Are you kidding?  Somebody better tell the Big East

These schools all play in multipurpose Basketball/hockey arenas and this list is limited to the Big East:

Creighton, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's (Madison Square Garden),  UConn (XL Center), Villanova

2 hours ago, GoodGood said:

Alerus is terrible for basketball. Ralph would only be worth it if they sold a bunch of tickets.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, F'n Hawks said:

Alerus is terrible for basketball. Ralph would only be worth it if they sold a bunch of tickets.

According to Coach Sather's interview with Izzo when the game was first announced, there is no court at the Ralph.  The one utilized for the Kansas game is no longer playable and the cost to acquire a new court would be prohibitive for one game.  A packed Betty will be a great atmosphere.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, HawksHoops said:

According to Coach Sather's interview with Izzo when the game was first announced, there is no court at the Ralph.  The one utilized for the Kansas game is no longer playable and the cost to acquire a new court would be prohibitive for one game.  A packed Betty will be a great atmosphere.

That is why you shouldn't think of it as a single game event.  Look at it as a starting point for something like the early season events in Sioux Falls each year.  How do you build a similar event in Grand Forks?

Example:

The Field of 68 Opening Day Showcase at the Pentagon

The Field of 68 Opening Day Showcase at the Pentagon

July 3, 2024

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – The Field of 68, a college basketball media network bringing basketball fans premier sports content, is partnering with Sanford Sports and the Sanford Pentagon to launch a new, innovative event on the opening day of the college basketball season.

On Nov. 4, the Sanford Pentagon will host ‘The Field of 68 Opening Day Showcase,’ an event featuring matchups between six of the best programs in college basketball.

The inaugural event features the matchups of Saint Louis vs. Santa Clara, College of Charleston vs. Southern Illinois and McNeese State vs. South Dakota State. Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. CT, August 1 at ticketmaster.com. The times of the games will be released later. The games will be broadcast on The Field of 68’s YouTube Channel and X feeds, and the network’s popular After Dark show will go live from the Sanford Pentagon at10:00.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FSSD said:

That is why you shouldn't think of it as a single game event.  Look at it as a starting point for something like the early season events in Sioux Falls each year.  How do you build a similar event in Grand Forks?

Agreed.  There's a good argument for both the Betty and the REA, but let's be real, if the REA had a legit floor, the game would probably be played there.  Disappointing to hear that the REA doesn't have a serviceable floor anymore, especially given that there are so many open weekends without W hockey.  I thought this was why the REA had a reserve account for building repairs, maintenance, and enhancement.  I'm not necessarily arguing for all games to be played at the REA either, and I think most games should probably be played at the Betty, but it would be nice if the REA could be leveraged a bit to elevate basketball.  Gotta think it would be nice to be able to utilize the suites, bars, and concessions for the bigger games, and as mentioned, basketball at the REA could potentially make it possible to attract bigger games which otherwise wouldn't typically be feasible at the Betty.  The last paragraph or two from this article are relevant, imo.  Either way, I don't necessarily think there is a right or wrong answer, as long as the decisions are well thought out and made for the right reasons.
image.thumb.png.76e352671214213dc82d5342ffea01ce.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Agreed.  There's a good argument for both the Betty and the REA, but let's be real, if the REA had a legit floor, the game would probably be played there.  Disappointing to hear that the REA doesn't have a serviceable floor anymore and there isn't even an option, especially given that there are so many open weekends without W hockey.  I thought this was why the REA had a reserve account for building repairs, maintenance, and enhancement.  I'm not necessarily arguing for all games to be played at the REA either, and I think most games should probably be played at the Betty, but it would be nice if the REA could be leveraged a bit to elevate basketball.  Gotta think it would be nice to be able to utilize the suites, bars, and concessions for the bigger games, and as mentioned, basketball at the REA could potentially make it possible to attract bigger games which otherwise wouldn't typically be feasible at the Betty.  The last paragraph or two from this article are relevant, imo.  Either way, I don't necessarily think there is a right or wrong answer, as long as the decisions are well thought out and made for the right reasons.
image.thumb.png.c55cc03230c7d494665dc42ad66876cf.png

I want the basketball program to grow for sure but sometimes bigger isn’t always better for the venue. The Alabama game would be the time to do it but I get the argument for keeping it at the Betty and especially the logistics.

Other than Alabama, I don’t really see a need for playing at the Ralph ever. The Bison game this year was big but would it have been big enough to host at the Betty and still give us that home court advantage feel? Not sure about that. 

20 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I want the basketball program to grow for sure but sometimes bigger isn’t always better for the venue. The Alabama game would be the time to do it but I get the argument for keeping it at the Betty and especially the logistics.

Other than Alabama, I don’t really see a need for playing at the Ralph ever. The Bison game this year was big but would it have been big enough to host at the Betty and still give us that home court advantage feel? Not sure about that. 

I agree with you, too.  I'm thinking more along the lines of out of conference games.  Invest in the program by paying a major program or two to come to the REA every year.  Takes money to make money, right?  Problem is that this would take a relatively large investment and the payoff is uncertain at best.  However, the REA can be leveraged and has the potential to elevate the program in ways the Betty can't, as it's the only building that has the potential to generate legit revenue from suites, concessions, and ad sales.  It's kind of a clout/reputation thing as well - if people from outside the area associated the REA with UND basketball that would be hugely beneficial.  Perception is everything. 

That said, the money could probably be better spent on additional practice space, or for something elsewhere, for now.  I just realized this is off topic so I apologize.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dustin said:

Love the move. Think this should allow more fans to make it down to Sioux Falls especially for the semis and championship. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, FSSD said:

And more national presences on CBS Sports Network, NCHC and Summit League.

If the Summit can keep improving and the Missouri Valley keeps losing name schools, might even be able to replace Arch Madness on the Eye itself.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

If the Summit can keep improving and the Missouri Valley keeps losing name schools, might even be able to replace Arch Madness on the Eye itself.

NCAA Tournament Credits for each conference:

2017-2018 MVC - 25 / Summit League - 7 This workout to ~ $780 per MVC school

2023-2024 MVC - 9 / Summit League - 8  This workout to ~ per school.  MVC $290K / SL $305

Previously the Summit League aspired to be more like the MVC.  Unfortunately in today's NCAA the MVC has moved to toward being more like the Summit League.

The MVC is in rapid decline once you get past the public schools - U of Ill -Chicago, SIU and ISU you don't have much.  And those public schools are centered around Chicago, Illinois which is doing it's best to destroy itself.  The MVC private schools are very small once you get past Belmont and Drake  - DU and St. Thomas are larger schools in larger metro areas.  In many ways the Summit League schools have passed the MVC schools.  I guess another way to put it - only two schools in the Summit are not R1 or R2.  Only three schools in the MVC are R1 or R2. But, the MVC has the basketball pedigree and that matters.  But, less and less each year.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, FSSD said:

NCAA Tournament Credits for each conference:

2017-2018 MVC - 25 / Summit League - 7 This workout to ~ $780 per MVC school

2023-2024 MVC - 9 / Summit League - 8  This workout to ~ per school.  MVC $290K / SL $305

Previously the Summit League aspired to be more like the MVC.  Unfortunately in today's NCAA the MVC has moved to toward being more like the Summit League.

The MVC is in rapid decline once you get past the public schools - U of Ill -Chicago, SIU and ISU you don't have much.  And those public schools are centered around Chicago, Illinois which is doing it's best to destroy itself.  The MVC private schools are very small once you get past Belmont and Drake  - DU and St. Thomas are larger schools in larger metro areas.  In many ways the Summit League schools have passed the MVC schools.  I guess another way to put it - only two schools in the Summit are not R1 or R2.  Only three schools in the MVC are R1 or R2. But, the MVC has the basketball pedigree and that matters.  But, less and less each year.

Also, factor in the House settlement, where the MVC will likely have more money held back by the NCAA than the Summit.  And MVC tournament attendance has been trending down, while the Summit League is trending the other direction.  Total attendance of both is now roughly the same I believe.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Tbh I’d rather us be on espn and an off night then on a channel that no one watches 

I'll take the 13 CBSSN games the league got in 2024 vs 1 game on espnU and 1 on espn2 like in 2023.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I guees they feel loss of Omot, tsartsidze,Ihenacho,Daniel’s, and Brooks plus few other bench player is to big of loss to overcome. The question remains then they are not impressed with talent returning in this age of transfers. I think we have some very good talent retiring with King at point guard, Eaglestaff at other shooting guard, Kuljuhovic providing inner presence in paint plus we have another in Mathew’s who can play valuable back for him. Mayst which Summit didn’t get to see will provide dynamic teams will have to defend. Finally will be Mara which nobody will know how he has developed. Then we have Sather new recruits which appear to be some young players with big upside and his track record shows he has been able to bring in but keeping for any le