SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-2025 Season

37 minutes ago, Kab said:

Any of our red shirt big men make a difference this coming year?

is Williams back or in the portal?

I think the bigger question is will any of the redshirt make a difference this year? 

19 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

I think the bigger question is will any of the redshirt make a difference this year? 

Erikson - Limited; Kraft - Limited; Doppler - No; Bothum - No.  

Also interested in what needs to happen in the off-season.

• Proven returners: Eaglestaff, King, Kuljuhovic

I have two questions.

1. Which players on the current roster, that's aren't proven returners are expected to contribute next year?
  2. How many players and at what positions are needed from the portal?

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Also interested in what needs to happen in the off-season.

• Proven returners: Eaglestaff, King, Kuljuhovic

I have two questions.

1. Which players on the current roster, that's aren't proven returners are expected to contribute next year?
  2. How many players and at what positions are needed from the portal?

I understand that Mara is making progress and a full summer in GF should continue to help his development. 

There are four scholarships available. 

• Upvote 2

Mara and Mayer are the two players that didn’t contribute in the 2nd half that we should be looking to make a step up. I think all the other contributors for next year, besides Eli, Trey and Amar, are not currently on the roster. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Mara and Mayer are the two players that didn’t contribute in the 2nd half that we should be looking to make a step up. I think all the other contributors for next year, besides Eli, Trey and Amar, are not currently on the roster. 

100% correct on this. The staff needs to hit the portal HARD.

Besides those 2 there is nobody else on the roster that can play and contribute anything next year if we want to compete at the top of the Summit. 

• Upvote 3

I dont see us offering many high schools seniors in the future.  What is the point if they are good they leave and if they are not good they take up a scholarship.  Look in the portal and build a new team each year!    My opinion we wasted our scholarships on the two Bismarck kids.   They wont contribute the next two years give it to someone that competes now.   I do like Kraft and hope a local kid will stick around and eventually crack the rotation.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

I dont see us offering many high schools seniors in the future.  What is the point if they are good they leave and if they are not good they take up a scholarship.  Look in the portal and build a new team each year!    My opinion we wasted our scholarships on the two Bismarck kids.   They wont contribute the next two years give it to someone that competes now.   I do like Kraft and hope a local kid will stick around and eventually crack the rotation.  

I would still go after talented high school kids. Who cares if you get 2 productive years out of BJ Omot or some random junior college kid. I agree with your other points though 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

I would still go after talented high school kids. Who cares if you get 2 productive years out of BJ Omot or some random junior college kid. I agree with your other points though 

Good Point.  Talented like BJ not projects that will take a few years to develop.  Let them go to D2 or JUCO prove their worth and transfer out.  Hate the way this is going but you either adapt or lose out.  

• Upvote 2

Wouldn't give up on Erikson... never know with big guys... he does have the ability to stretch the floor... while he may never be an all league player, he might be able to carve out a role in the future... and I was very down on this kid coming out of high school. Reports are that he has had a good freshman year. Not sure if he's ready next year, but I don't think he will be a complete dud.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Wouldn't give up on Erikson... never know with big guys... he does have the ability to stretch the floor... while he may never be an all league player, he might be able to carve out a role in the future... and I was very down on this kid coming out of high school. Reports are that he has had a good freshman year. Not sure if he's ready next year, but I don't think he will be a complete dud.

But that is my point.  Let him go to UMary for two years. Pick him up on the last two years.  If he doesnt work out it was UMary's problem.  There is not need to take risks on projects.  Look what Tyree and Bruns did.  Took a chance on them and they both bolted.  It has to work both ways.  

17 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

But that is my point.  Let him go to UMary for two years. Pick him up on the last two years.  If he doesnt work out it was UMary's problem.  There is not need to take risks on projects.  Look what Tyree and Bruns did.  Took a chance on them and they both bolted.  It has to work both ways.  

You can't take 13 guys out of the portal every year- you still need to have guys that you build up and develop.

6 minutes ago, SD UND said:

You can't take 13 guys out of the portal every year- you still need to have guys that you build up and develop.

Agreed and if you can find some regional HS kids with ties to the area they would be less apt to leave...maybe 

2 hours ago, SD UND said:

Big guys always do take extra time to develop. One thing that scares me about Ericson is he did the seem to have a high motor when Ive seen him play in person. Seemed like a big who wants to be a guard, hang out at the 3 point line and not bang down low on offense or defense. Hopefully I just saw some bad games and he got it figured out this last season 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SD UND said:

Well im hoping Sather can keep a few each year and not need 13 each year. Only the best will leave 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...