SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Tournament

petey23

37 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

People get crucified on this board for saying parity is a factor, but ignoring it, especially in a game that is often a one-bounce game, is just wild to me. I think many fans don't have reasonable expectations anymore, frankly. The overreactions are absolutely obnoxious and drips with entitlement. A large amount of our fanbase sees every loss we have as "the boys aren't trying hard enough" or "they aren't real Sioux" or "the boys don't care enough" or "Bubs can't get them up for a big game", and that's what bothers me. We seem to have this expectation (not all of us, but some -- still the minority, but a loud and vocal one) that we should win every game just because we're North Dakota and that's how it works. College hockey is just different now than it used to be . Added parity with how the game of hockey works, we now have a game that is anyone's game each night. 

More often than not, the best team wins. I'm hoping we're the best team tonight. And if we don't, it's not due to a magic potion whispered from Bubs, it's because we played better and finished our chances. 

Like three weeks ago in Omaha we lost because we had nothing to play for , then we lost to them in the NCHC tourney , we all know that’s they is only one winner and if the boys play well and lose I can deal with it. When they come out flat or just quit skating (ASU las vegas ) that’s what bothers me. You can say that Berry isn’t responsible but heavy is the head that wears the crown. 

27 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

People get crucified on this board for saying parity is a factor, but ignoring it, especially in a game that is often a one-bounce game, is just wild to me. I think many fans don't have reasonable expectations anymore, frankly. The overreactions are absolutely obnoxious and drips with entitlement. A large amount of our fanbase sees every loss we have as "the boys aren't trying hard enough" or "they aren't real Sioux" or "the boys don't care enough" or "Bubs can't get them up for a big game", and that's what bothers me. We seem to have this expectation (not all of us, but some -- still the minority, but a loud and vocal one) that we should win every game just because we're North Dakota and that's how it works. College hockey is just different now than it used to be . Added parity with how the game of hockey works, we now have a game that is anyone's game each night. 

More often than not, the best team wins. I'm hoping we're the best team tonight. And if we don't, it's not due to a magic potion whispered from Bubs, it's because we played better and finished our chances. 

I get it. And don’t disagree that the extremes of the argument on both sides get ridiculous and tiring. My guess is you feel the need to over-index on defending the team to balance out all the negative crap; I appreciate that and am sure it gets old for you too. 

Last point on the concocted blame (bubs magic whisperings). I can tell when my car, appliance, etc isn’t performing when I need it to. I may not know why, but that shouldn’t be required of me as a consumer. It’s up to the engineer to figure out and address if they want my business.

Fans are just trying to rationalize why the postseason result is SO consistently not matching the expectation. To argue the opposite side and defend as if a coach has no say in this ( parity, prep/strategy, game/psychological readiness, culture, etc) implies that the best coaches out there really don’t do anything differently than the good. I don’t agree; even if I don’t have access and/or expertise to tell you the difference. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brett0909 said:

I get it. And don’t disagree that the extremes of the argument on both sides get ridiculous and tiring. My guess is you feel the need to over-index on defending the team to balance out all the negative crap; I appreciate that and am sure it gets old for you too. 

Last point on the concocted blame (bubs magic whisperings). I can tell when my car, appliance, etc isn’t performing when I need it to. I may not know why, but that shouldn’t be required of me as a consumer. It’s up to the engineer to figure out and address if they want my business.

Fans are just trying to rationalize why the postseason result is SO consistently not matching the expectation. To argue the opposite side and defend as if a coach has no say in this ( parity, prep/strategy, game/psychological readiness, culture, etc) implies that the best coaches out there really don’t do anything differently than the good. I don’t agree; even if I don’t have access and/or expertise to tell you the difference. 

I do, and I wish I didn't do it. I don't have to and I probably shouldn't because it truly is a toxic conversation. The conversation about performance is often not proven in fact but more of the "I think" we're not playing well. That's where I get frustrated with the "they aren't playing hard" or "they don't care" ... without solutions, it's just nonsensical whining. 

It's absolutely not that coaching is ALL catching a bounce. Not even close. The good coaches get their teams to the spots where the bounces matter. From there, it's execution of what got you there and then, yes, a bounce or two. Bubs did the work recruiting, helping players to improve, installing systems, updating systems, making changes, getting his team to this point.... now, save a dramatic in-play change where sometimes things need to happen, it's up to the players. 

Lastly, talking about not meeting expectations consistently, that's where I push back. This is where unrealistic expectations come into play. Talked about this before, but losing in 5OTs to UMD, to Notre Dame in OT, to BU in OT where a rule change was made that would have changed the outcome ... does this really reflect that UND is not meeting the expectation? Those games are wild and I think it's unfair to knock Bubs or the program because we didn't win those games. My thought is that crap, that's just hockey.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If you have 4 zero gravity dry float beds in the locker/weight room that should equate to more than 1 NCAA win since 2016......just saying.

If you have a napping area that should get you 2 more titles :wink:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cberkas said:

If you have a napping area that should get you 2 more titles :wink:

Or at a minimum not getting swept....at home....by CC.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Minny first goal; Clark steals bad  pass at Omaha's blue line resulting in Gofer goal.  Minny second goal, Omaha turns it over behind their own net and pass out front to Gopher forward who chips it in.  Minny third goal; Omaha blows a tire at their own dot resulting in turnover and gwg.  Omaha plays a cleaner game last night and they would have been the one moving on; although you can't blame the kid catching an edge/blowing a tire on that last turnover.

Weak telegraphed pass, D-zone turnover, blown tire. Two of those are on players; the other is "bad bounce". 

Wife:  What do you think about this one Dave?

Me:  Tech has a shot, anyone can win these games.  Tech doesn't really make mistakes, and they don't get scored on a ton.

(First shift....goal)

Wife:  You really called that one.

1-0 BC

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Man, 1-0 BC like a minute in.

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

That escalated quickly!

Sheesh, Tech, 36 seconds in?  Cutter is gonna look great in a Flyers jersey.  Oh, wait…

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Colby needs to stop calling Buccigross "Butchey"....

John.  His name is John. 

I prefer the mute button when those two are calling a game.