SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League Tournament

1 hour ago, Kassonvike said:

Will be there Saturday morning to Wednesday morning.  I can't find anything definitive on Bruner injury.  Was kind of hoping to watch him play on Saturday.  Was also hoping for the upset of KC.

Any pregame parties

Just checked UND Insider - has UND announced if they are having a social room at the Summit Tournament? Seems a bit odd that nothing is obvious on the website. Really not wanting to have to go down this path. 

55 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Just checked UND Insider - has UND announced if they are having a social room at the Summit Tournament? Seems a bit odd that nothing is obvious on the website. Really not wanting to have to go down this path. 

Bunch of us may meet up at o haras 

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

A friend reached out to UND and the response they got back was about what you would expect from a hockey school. Not having anything on Sunday as there are no social rooms available (like this event was a surprise) but plans for a room on Monday/Tuesday if teams advance. Based on their record Sunday would have been the only opportunity for a pre-game gathering for the women's BB team. Friend said last year SDSU, USD and NDSU had large gathering rooms - guess we'll have to duck into their rooms pre-game.  

5 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

A friend reached out to UND and the response they got back was about what you would expect from a hockey school. Not having anything on Sunday as there are no social rooms available (like this event was a surprise) but plans for a room on Monday/Tuesday if teams advance. Based on their record Sunday would have been the only opportunity for a pre-game gathering for the women's BB team. Friend said last year SDSU, USD and NDSU had large gathering rooms - guess we'll have to duck into their rooms pre-game.  

Oofda....

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

I wonder how many people will be driving right on by on their way back up from the Omaha hockey series...

2 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I wonder how many people will be driving right on by on their way back up from the Omaha hockey series...

Probably having a large hockey gathering in Omaha, not impressed with the champions club leadership 

I just feel bad for the guys on this team.  We have a really good fun team to watch and they cant even get some of respect other schools are giving their players and fans.  I can see why recruiting here for basketball is so difficult.   I just feel like from school, the Betty and the students have not given this team any respect or love.  If They make the NCAA tournament it will be way more coverage for the school then any hockey championship would.   The first four round got 5.41MM viewers, the first round teams got 8.4MM viewers.   The hockey Championship game got 808,000.    

• Like 1

UND had a hospitality room before the women’s semifinal game last year.  It was a smaller room, but decently done.  You have to remember this is a two way street.  It is hard to demand a large hospitality suite if only 12 of us show up.  Last year, there were a handful of faithful fans, some UND administration, and parents present.  Until  we show up in force in Sioux Falls, there is very little reason to have a large hospitality room.  I would like nothing better than to have enough of a presence that a large scale production is required.  Unfortunately, we are not there yet.  SDSU has a massive room with all of the bells and whistles which is very impressive, but they own that tournament.  3/4 of the people there will be bunny fans with the Yotes taking most of the rest.  USD had a nice room as well.  I don’t recall seeing what NDSU did.  Sioux Falls does a nice job with the tournament.  However, The downside to this tournament is with the semis on Monday and Tuesday, it is a short evening drive for the SD schools and days off work for everyone else….  It is a huge advantage.

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

I just feel bad for the guys on this team.  We have a really good fun team to watch and they cant even get some of respect other schools are giving their players and fans.  I can see why recruiting here for basketball is so difficult.   I just feel like from school, the Betty and the students have not given this team any respect or love.  If They make the NCAA tournament it will be way more coverage for the school then any hockey championship would.   The first four round got 5.41MM viewers, the first round teams got 8.4MM viewers.   The hockey Championship game got 808,000.    

Actually fan support was pretty good this year, they put an entertaining competitive team on the court and fans responded. Watching some road games on Midco and our home crowds compared well if not better. The media in Fargo was begging fans to attend so games.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hans8891 said:

UND had a hospitality room before the women’s semifinal game last year.  It was a smaller room, but decently done.  You have to remember this is a two way street.  It is hard to demand a large hospitality suite if only 12 of us show up.  Last year, there were a handful of faithful fans, some UND administration, and parents present.  Until  we show up in force in Sioux Falls, there is very little reason to have a large hospitality room.  I would like nothing better than to have enough of a presence that a large scale production is required.  Unfortunately, we are not there yet.  SDSU has a massive room with all of the bells and whistles which is very impressive, but they own that tournament.  3/4 of the people there will be bunny fans with the Yotes taking most of the rest.  USD had a nice room as well.  I don’t recall seeing what NDSU did.  Sioux Falls does a nice job with the tournament.  However, The downside to this tournament is with the semis on Monday and Tuesday, it is a short evening drive for the SD schools and days off work for everyone else….  It is a huge advantage.

Agreed last year's room was just the right size, it was actually crowded at times and UND made it nice and welcoming. Our teams need to get better and road fans will follow. However having semis and finals on Monday/Tuesday is a buzz kill.

We have had better fan support this year, as would be expected with a better team.  We have a long way to go though.  The Betty is a 3200 seat arena that is never close to full.  The Betty would not even fit the people that attended NCC conference games at Hyslop.  Other than Bubba rallying the football players, student support is almost non-existent.  Would love to see that change as well.  I was always concerned that we were undershooting our potential with the Betty.  Unfortunately, that has not been a problem.  I would love to get to the point where it is a completely full house again, which should not be that hard with the small venue that the Betty is…. This team is fun to watch and should be drawing more fan interest than it has….

24 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Agreed last year's room was just the right size, it was actually crowded at times and UND made it nice and welcoming. Our teams need to get better and road fans will follow. However having semis and finals on Monday/Tuesday is a buzz kill.

I thought the whole reason I’m moving to CBS Sports was to allow the weekend tournament

22 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

However having semis and finals on Monday/Tuesday is a buzz kill.

UND certainly has some hockey-only fans, but I would say most fans of UND's other popular sports (FB, BB, VB) are also hockey fans.  I don't know many FB/BB/VB-only fans, so having those sports compete with hockey reduces potential crowds.  So having SL Tourney games on non-hockey nights is good for UND, IMO. I also think it's good for the Summit League itself because they get some Championship Week exposure without the P5 conferences dominating the media coverage.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

I thought the whole reason I’m moving to CBS Sports was to allow the weekend tournament

I heard that the tournament was already set for this year when the deal was made.  They said expect next year to see different dates for the tournament.   Its always been on Tuesday to fit in with ESPN to broadcast it along with the conference championships.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hans8891 said:

Was thinking the same thing.  I've been at the tournament Saturday and wondered if I was the only non-parent UND fan there.  The lone exception was the year we played NDSU in the championship game.  I think they brought a fan bus or two down.  I remember Bubba was there too, I gave him my seat when some late arriving SDSU fans kicked him out of their seats LOL.  The little pre-game hospitality room was so full it was hard to even get into.  (I'm still trying to purge the results of that game from my brain)

Below are the Championship Week games being broadcast by CBS Sports Network this year

3/10/2024 Sunday Patriot MBB Semis

3/11/2024 Monday CAA MBB Semis
                                 Summit WBB Semis

3/12/2024 Tuesday CAA MBB Title
                                  Summit MBB Title
                                  Summit WBB Title

3/13/2024 Wed Patriot MBB Title

3/14/2024 Thur No Games

3/15/2024 Friday CUSA MBB Semi

3/16/2024 Saturday CUSA WBB Title
                                   CUSA MBB Title

3/17/2024 Sunday Patriot WBB Title