SiouxSports.com Forum

#20 Alaska @ #6 UND - Last non-conf series

brianvf

UND has some items to work on this week. 

Alaska will be hungry, as they need a good showing in order to improve their chances at making the NCAA's with an at-large bid.
UND needs to erase the OT demons of the past few games.

• Upvote 2

Secret's out on this team:
- let Blake skate the ice capades around the perimeter
- don't let James or Johannes flash the speed
- light sweep checks easily get the puck off the sticks of this team 
- little to no net front presence outside of the power play
- don't try to play racehorse with them 

Clog the middle (1-2-2 or 2-2-1), then defend the house with five skaters, and this team doesn't know how to get through it. 

But there's time for them to figure it out. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Agreed we should and need to sweep at home, but "season defining"... go on...

We have lost three consecutive OT games (Saturday does not count).

We are playing our final non-conference opponent, which will have PWR implications.

-A sweep this weekend would help set a positive tone for the new year and build momentum as we get closer to playoff time.

-A split would be tolerable, but not ideal.

-Getting swept would be detrimental to our PWR and continue the losing streak into 2024. It would also harm our team's self-confidence big time.

A good weekend will pay dividends well beyond January.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

We have lost three consecutive OT games (Saturday does not count).

We are playing our final non-conference opponent, which will have PWR implications.

-A sweep this weekend would help set a positive tone for the new year and build momentum as we get closer to playoff time.

-A split would be tolerable, but not ideal.

-Getting swept would be detrimental to our PWR and continue the losing streak into 2024. It would also harm our team's self-confidence big time.

A good weekend will pay dividends well beyond January.

All of those points are fair, but we could sweep this weekend and still tank the rest of the way. We could get swept and still win a national championship. Getting swept by the No. 20 PWR would vault them, but would absolutely still leave us in the middle of the PWR pack and nowhere near the bubble. If they were 45 or something like that, it would be a much bigger problem.

The overreactive nature of our fanbase robs so many the joy of a season. We all know this team is a very good team. It's nearly impossible to guess if this weekend will be wholly defining of anything. Just so many games left.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

All of those points are fair, but we could sweep this weekend and still tank the rest of the way. We could get swept and still win a national championship. Getting swept by the No. 20 PWR would vault them, but would absolutely still leave us in the middle of the PWR pack and nowhere near the bubble. If they were 45 or something like that, it would be a much bigger problem.

The overreactive nature of our fanbase robs so many the joy of a season. We all know this team is a very good team. It's nearly impossible to guess if this weekend will be wholly defining of anything. Just so many games left.

Alaska is not Canisius, I will grant you that.

I just don't want the team to squander a great first half by losing to teams we should beat (especially at home).

This team has talent up and down the lineup. I would hate to see it underutilized.

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Alaska is not Canisius, I will grant you that.

I just don't want the team to squander a great first half by losing to teams we should beat (especially at home).

This team has talent up and down the lineup. I would hate to see it underutilized.

100% agreeing with all points, particularly the middle. We could really use this sweep. Would love to see them get their swagger back. With that said, even if we don't UND still absolutely has their season still in front of them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

100% agreeing with all points, particularly the middle. We could really use this sweep. Would love to see them get their swagger back. With that said, even if we don't UND still absolutely has their season still in front of them.

Good points. I think getting healed up and over that illness during the holiday break will be beneficial.

• Upvote 1

These both need to be 6-1, 7-2 type beatings ... set the tempo for the 2nd half of foot on the gas peddle every game, every period, every shift.

Having said that ... I am predicting victories of 3-1 and 4-2.

• Like 1

I know we're all supposed to say what the team must do this weekend, but I'm coming up blank.   Practically no one wants them to be swept, but there are all kinds of other good possibilities.  

'

On 1/2/2024 at 11:29 AM, Oxbow6 said:

I'm going to suggest there's a good probability one game will go to OT...

Yeah with how tight and physical Alaska plays, it seems very likely that one game gets to OT.  I'm guessing we struggle to score in at least one of these games if we haven't made some tweaks.

On 1/2/2024 at 9:19 AM, AJS said:

Hard to see this team sweeping this weekend. This team has an issue consistently scoring goals. Would like to see some sort of shake up in the lineup.  

That probably can be said of 90% of the teams in the country.  Remember when people thought Minnesota was going to be a wrecking ball, well they are scoring a quarter less goal a game than us, and we are basically top ten.   Other than Denver and a few others, most teams are going to put up between 2.5-3.5 goals a game.   The key for us is to make sure we are doing the right things so that we can keep holding teams down and giving Persson the ability to make the first save and deal with any rebounds if there are any.  Alaska would be fired up to play us regardless of their pairwise standing, but UND will have to match their effort because this may be the last chance for Alaska to move up dramatically by having a good weekend.   Will be really disappointed if UND comes out standing around and watching Alaska, so let's get after them from the start and don't let up.  

• Like 1

Big props to Berry in his press conference today. He sounds like he's holding guys accountable and is making sure that the boys don't take this series lightly. You can tell he's fired up and really wants to make a run in the 2nd half. He also alluded to there being some changes to lines this coming weekend now that all bodies are ready to go. Going to be a heck of a physical series. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

He also alluded to there being some changes to lines this coming weekend now that all bodies are ready to go. Going to be a heck of a physical series

Old time Sioux hockey?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Notes from Berry's Wed presser:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-making-adjustments-ahead-of-series-with-alaska

UND was practicing 3x3 more this week. 
Hopefully it won't come to that this weekend.  :crazy:
Crazy stat that UND was on a 12-game unbeaten streak in 3x3 prior to the DU loss (they were 6-0-6 in those 12 games).

All four players that sat out against USA are practicing and expected to play against Alaska.

The forward lines have been shuffled to attempt to generate more 5x5 offense.

My two cents on lines I'd like to see given a shot this weekend: 

Gaber-OMC-Blake

James-Strinden-Perron (I think both James and Strinden have been held back a bit and could thrive playing together and using their speed along with Perron)

Johannes-Berg-Jamernik (Line that could matchup against any teams top line and also provide offense) 

Kunz-Schmaltz-Albrecht

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Gaber-OMC-Blake

James-Strinden-Perron (I think both James and Strinden have been held back a bit and could thrive playing together and using their speed along with Perron)

Johannes-Berg-Jamernik (Line that could matchup against any teams top line and also provide offense) 

Kunz-Schmaltz-Albrecht

Gaber and Blake will get split or get a new center is my guess to start although I like everything you have here. Thing I agree with most is giving James and Strinden a shot with Perron. What absolutely won't think will happen is Schmaltz.  He seems to get a little of the Hain/Senden treatment. He'll play top line tomorrow before he centers 4th line.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Gaber and Blake will get split or get a new center is my guess to start although I like everything you have here. Thing I agree with most is giving James and Strinden a shot with Perron. What absolutely won't think will happen is Schmaltz.  He seems to get a little of the Hain/Senden treatment. He'll play top line tomorrow before he centers 4th line.

Yes I agree with you on the Schmaltz comment and it not likely to happen centering the fourth line. I wasn't crazy about that line but I ran out of options as I like the first three I put together. I just think James and Strinden need a shot playing together and with another talented forward in Perron as they have been our best two forwards recently in my mind. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, I Ranger said:

Gaber-OMC-Blake

Kunz-Schmaltz-Albrecht

Sign me up for these lines. These are as close as I've seen to skill / ceiling being slotted correctly. An argument can be made for Strinden / Berg as 2/3 C. Those two can be switched around. I'd be fired up if we saw those lines.