SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (8-5) vs. St. Thomas (8-5) 12/29 @ 7PM

sioux24/7

3 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I guess some people didn’t notice/realize but my last post about our gameplan was 100% sarcasm. 

Tonight was 90% on the coaches/staff and 10% players. The players play but they were not put in positions to be successful.

Expecting some of these people to understand subtle sarcasm is like expecting the Twins to contend for a third World Series championship.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I guess some people didn’t notice/realize but my last post about our gameplan was 100% sarcasm. 

Tonight was 90% on the coaches/staff and 10% players. The players play but they were not put in positions to be successful.

Game plan appeared to be awful but even with a good game plan we didn’t look ready to play and had very low energy. (Which is also on the coaches)

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Hans8891 said:

First of all, St. Thomas is very good.  They are very well coached - offensively and defensively.  There is a reason that they were one point away from taking down Marquette with a minute left when they were #5 in the country.  Hats off to them.  They earned their win tonight.   As for us, we didn’t compete.  The coaches failed to make any adjustments, but the players don’t get a pass on this one either.  St. Thomas simply outworked, outhustled, outdefended, and outrebounded us.  If there was a loose ball, they got it.  We didn’t.  That is on the players.  As for the coaching staff, we apparently don’t recognize when we have a serious mismatch. When our 6’4 guards are being taken one on one by a 5’11 defender, why are we not attacking the basket.  St. Thomas is very good at help side, double teaming to prevent penetration.  Unfortunately, our guys stay 5 feet away from the penetrating player so there is no space to move and no place to kick.  Makes it incredibly easy to jump back and not get caught.  Contrast that with our complete inability to figure out what to do with ball screen at the top of the key.  There is a virtual certainty someone will be wide open.  Our bigs are not fast enough to cover, don’t know where to go, and we lack communication.  This has been the story all year long - and we are still doing it.  Our defenders continually turn their backs to the ball and don’t know what is happening with the ball resulting in wide open layups or getting caught in switches.  Our offense got pushed further out on the perimeter by a much smaller team and couldn’t attack the rim because they are constantly in each other’s way.  Eri King was our only competitor tonight with a few glimpses of Tyree.  Other than that, nobody showed up.  I believe we are a better team than we showed tonight, but if that is the effort we give and the lack of any coaching adjustments whatsoever, its going to be a long year.

Many times our players stood and watched as they went for a rebound or a loose ball , that’s when a good coach sits that player and uses his bench

we seem so weak under the basket, can’t finish a layup that’s contested

why so many 3s?, they weren’t going in so try midrange or under the bucket and hope for a foul 

• Upvote 3

Brady stats again tonight  zero rebounds,  steals , points , blocks. Zero everything.   Dang in 3 minutes of play 2 for 3 shots and a steal.   Yet in a blow out game coach didn't think of maybe trying something different.   Can't wait to see no more TT and Brady next year. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Hans8891 said:

First of all, St. Thomas is very good.  They are very well coached - offensively and defensively.  There is a reason that they were one point away from taking down Marquette with a minute left when they were #5 in the country.  Hats off to them.  They earned their win tonight.   As for us, we didn’t compete.  The coaches failed to make any adjustments, but the players don’t get a pass on this one either.  St. Thomas simply outworked, outhustled, outdefended, and outrebounded us.  If there was a loose ball, they got it.  We didn’t.  That is on the players.  As for the coaching staff, we apparently don’t recognize when we have a serious mismatch. When our 6’4 guards are being taken one on one by a 5’11 defender, why are we not attacking the basket.  St. Thomas is very good at help side, double teaming to prevent penetration.  Unfortunately, our guys stay 5 feet away from the penetrating player so there is no space to move and no place to kick.  Makes it incredibly easy to jump back and not get caught.  Contrast that with our complete inability to figure out what to do with ball screen at the top of the key.  There is a virtual certainty someone will be wide open.  Our bigs are not fast enough to cover, don’t know where to go, and we lack communication.  This has been the story all year long - and we are still doing it.  Our defenders continually turn their backs to the ball and don’t know what is happening with the ball resulting in wide open layups or getting caught in switches.  Our offense got pushed further out on the perimeter by a much smaller team and couldn’t attack the rim because they are constantly in each other’s way.  Eri King was our only competitor tonight with a few glimpses of Tyree.  Other than that, nobody showed up.  I believe we are a better team than we showed tonight, but if that is the effort we give and the lack of any coaching adjustments whatsoever, its going to be a long year.

Yes to all

Another thing of note from this game, I’ve never seen a player get humiliated by an opposing teams bench like Brooks was yesterday. I legit felt bad for Brooks. I’m not sure who on staff is in charge of player development but they let him down big time this summer. In fact I’m not sure if the person in charge has any idea what they’re doing when it comes to shooting mechanics. It’s really sad watching some of these guys shoot 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

Brady stats again tonight  zero rebounds,  steals , points , blocks. Zero everything.   Dang in 3 minutes of play 2 for 3 shots and a steal.   Yet in a blow out game coach didn't think of maybe trying something different.   Can't wait to see no more TT and Brady next year. 

Brady was just out there running cardio last night. Did absolutely nothing in his 14 minutes.

Our subbing/rotations were absolutely terrible again. How do you not at some point put Mayar or even Mara in to see if they can provide a spark?!? The lack of adjustments or even trying to make adjustments by the staff was mind blowing last night! Just stand there and stare at a play-call sheet the whole time. Again, he’s in over his head.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

So who thinks that since last night the coaches have came up with a miraculous game plan on the road after a bus trip?

to me the worst part last night was the way the bench wasn’t used.

announcers kept blaming the Christmas break and bad travel conditions back to GF for the players, that couldn’t have created that debacle last night , looked more like a NY eve hangover game

8 hours ago, Hans8891 said:

Great observations.  Shows insight and knowledge of the game.  Appreciate the post. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GoodGood said:

Another thing of note from this game, I’ve never seen a player get humiliated by an opposing teams bench like Brooks was yesterday. I legit felt bad for Brooks. I’m not sure who on staff is in charge of player development but they let him down big time this summer. In fact I’m not sure if the person in charge has any idea what they’re doing when it comes to shooting mechanics. It’s really sad watching some of these guys shoot 

I agree watching them not even remotely guard him at the 3 point line is embarrassing.  Once again we have one guard playing that can shoot … Treyson  and st Thomas was all over him 

10 minutes ago, ND1 said:

I agree watching them not even remotely guard him at the 3 point line is embarrassing.  Once again we have one guard playing that can shoot … Treyson  and st Thomas was all over him 

Yep St Thomas did a good job at punking everyone but Treysen. Brooks can still play, but you can’t have him either standing in the corner or sitting on the perimeter with the ball in his hands. That’s on the coaches for not putting him in a position to be successful 

• Upvote 1

Idk if there’s ever been a game that has me more discouraged than that. We will be a middle of the pack Summit team I still believe but that’s not what I want to strive for. The energy, the culture, that’s what I want…… and I’m not sure that’s going to happen under Sather. Still wish we would have been able to swing it with Ben McCollum, but clearly we don’t invest enough into basketball. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

You two have definitely been lockstep, like usual, in your disapproval of Sather basically since you joined the board.  There a history there?

No. I don’t think he is a good coach. As plain and simple as that. I would rather watch UND win and we haven’t under Sather.

As a former collegiate player I see the game differently than the majority of people watching and with a deeper understanding. I have pointed out exact stats, X’s and O’s, and other legitimate reasons for why I believe he hasn’t been successful at this level. Anybody on this board can take any of that info however they would like. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, HoopsFan03 said:

No. I don’t think he is a good coach. As plain and simple as that. I would rather watch UND win and we haven’t under Sather.

As a former collegiate player I see the game differently than the majority of people watching and with a deeper understanding. I have pointed out exact stats, X’s and O’s, and other legitimate reasons for why I believe he hasn’t been successful at this level. Anybody on this board can take any of that info however they would like. 

Fair enough.  

• Upvote 1

Hoops

I I appreciate your inputs here. Though a little harsh at times. We don’t always agree (that’s fine) but everyone here wants UND to be successful.

you are frustrated and most everyone has been or is frustrated.

Do you think our team this year is fixable? If so, would you mind sharing more of specific things you would change. I know you mentioned some - don’t play Brady and change our defense on screens. Hans had posted some specific things to help educate.

Sounds like Sather is here for a while so you can’t change him. Do you think we doomed to failure because of his extension?

I should add I would welcome any specific changes anyone here would make. You can’t change our team members or coach and not playing Brady is already taken (though I don’t think he is in the top five of our problems)