SiouxSports.com Forum

New NCHC postseason tournament format

farce poobah

3 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

So what happens if the finals end up staying in a place like Miami or for example, Western Michigan where those stadiums can’t see more than 4000 people we are going to lose quite a bit of money because of this decision

Minneapolis is too dangerous now.... Cost benefit analysis.... Eat choice... Wanna see attendance go down.... Wait for a fan to get murdered 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Minneapolis is too dangerous now.... Cost benefit analysis.... Eat choice... Wanna see attendance go down.... Wait for a fan to get murdered 

Just a point of order, St Paul is where the Xcel Energy Center is located. 

Well this is disappointing.  Living in the south Twin Cities metro, I always looked forward to the conference tournament because it was an easy drive to get there, and low cost, since I didn't need to drive 5 hours and get a hotel room.  And that's if I'll be able to get a ticket.  

Also much less likely I can convince my family to come.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I have been going to this tournament for the last 15 years. Stayed in Minneapolis most of times, rode the light rail during the last 10 years. Been staying in St. Paul since it moved back to the X. I still would take the light rail to downtown or out to the mall. Never have I felt threatened, ever. There's a lot more scarier places in this world than the Twin Cities. I do miss the WCHA and the Final Five, those are some great memories I have of the Finest college hockey games ever played.

• Upvote 3

I supposed they considered this but what happens when the school's arena has an event scheduled for one of those weekends (concert etc)? For example does this mean The Ralph will need to black out the arena for those three Saturdays? 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Such a bummer, IMO. I get why they did it, but it was always such a good time. Too many good memories from this tournament to be happy about it being gone.

At least UND will have a chance at winning the Final Faceoff tournament again. ;) It'd sure be nice to be able to see UND win it at the Xcel before the change happens though. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Plus, if you were a student athlete, would you rather play in an empty pixel energy center or a packed house Duluth with the crowd crowd roaring

Trick question, since Amsoily Arena is never full. 

I hope that as part of moving to home ice for semis and final, that ticket allocations for travelling fans are increased to multiples of their regular season allocations.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Those who say they are "scared for their safety" usually have a political agenda and haven't been in a city that has more than one gas station in years.  

I'm not sure about that. I lived in the Twin Cities for 30 years before moving in 2019. In the early to mid 90s I took the bus every night from the U of M to downtown to Brooklyn Center, and I felt safe. However, I didn't go to downtown Minneapolis at night for the last 5 years I lived there. Sure, most of the time it was relatively safe (especially with big crowds), but there were too many moments of discomfort for my taste. Seeing bus drivers got a bottle smashed over their head, addicts on public transit, the number of crazies increase. There were a lot of people up to no good in recent years. I got tired of being in a place where I had to watch my back all of the time.

My cousin ventured to downtown Minneapolis earlier this year for the first time in ages and got his Toyota Tundra stolen.

• Upvote 2