SiouxSports.com Forum

CC vs UND Saturday Night

Oxbow6

46 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Do you think we should respect a team that takes 4 of 6 points in our own barn? Or maybe just assume we should we win every game no matter what just because of their record? We were on the wrong side of pairwise points this weekend so you’re the one who incorrectly underestimated CC. 

Keep talking that team up like they are Penrose Cup contenders all you want, but the bottom line is you cannot get swept at home vs. a team that likely will finish in the lower half of the NCHC. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a virus going through the locker room, that would explain the low energy and bad faceoff numbers.

Two bad losses shouldn't be explained away by comparing our opponents to the 1993 Maine Black Bears. I will be shocked if the Tigers have home ice for the first round.

I’m a DU fan with UND as my 2nd favorite. I was at the Friday game a week ago when the Hawks came from behind in the 3rd period. UND played aggressively and with confidence that night, less so the next night. 
What those who live in Denver know is that when CC is on their game, they are tough to beat. The key perhaps is to jump on them early, though easier said than done. 
The way I look at it is that this is all preparation for the tournaments. DU lost in Western Michigan last night, and the only reasonable takeaway is that it can make them stronger. The same is true for UND. The season is still young. 

• Upvote 4

I can say that Mayotte did a fantastic job preparing his players for this weekend and the players executed. Frankly, as a CC fan as well, it isn’t exactly the style of hockey I want to see them continuing to play game in and game out.

My goodness, watching them this weekend, it reminded me of the 1990’s era New Jersey Devils. But I give CC credit, they really didn’t give up many grade A chances to UND and they crushed UND in faceoffs.

I’m getting chirped a lot on my phone already, tonight. I think one of my CC pals is hoping they hang a banner in Robson for this sweep! :p

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tnt said:

Perron has been quiet lately, but still would like to see if he could get things going 3 on 3.   

I was hoping for more at this point in the season. Looked good early but has faded. He doesn’t seem to have chemistry with anyone and is playing timid. I’d like to see him go to the net like he did early on. Now he just dances along the perimeter and doesn’t create anything. 

1 minute ago, Godsmack said:

I can say that Mayotte did a fantastic job preparing his players for this weekend and the players executed. Frankly, as a CC fan as well, it isn’t exactly the style of hockey I want to see them continuing to play game in and game out.

My goodness, watching them this weekend, it reminded me of the 1990’s era New Jersey Devils. But I give CC credit, they really didn’t give up many grade A chances to UND and they crushed UND in faceoffs.

I’m getting chirped a lot on my phone already, tonight. I think one of my CC pals is hoping they hang a banner in Robson for this sweep! :p

It’s the style they had to play to win. Clog things up, get good goaltending, and hope to win in close low scoring games. They do have some guys that can make a difference and theirs showed up. Can’t say the same for the other team. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Username Taken said:

It’s the style they had to play to win. Clog things up, get good goaltending, and hope to win in close low scoring games. They do have some guys that can make a difference and theirs showed up. Can’t say the same for the other team. 

Schloss is very bullish on CC. He says that last year’s, this year’s, and next year’s freshmen classes are among the best in the country. He doesn’t think they’re a contender for the Penrose this year or maybe even not next year but they definitely are on an uphill trajectory. 

What’s so baffling is that I went to the CC/DU series about six weeks ago and DU did what they typically do against the Tigers-they made quick and easy work of them. UND goes toe to toe with Denver, on the road no less, and then struggled mightily this weekend with trying to figure out how to overcome CC’s trap. 

2 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Schloss is very bullish on CC. He says that last year’s, this year’s, and next year’s freshmen classes are among the best in the country. He doesn’t think they’re a contender for the Penrose this year or maybe even not next year but they definitely are on an uphill trajectory. 

What’s so baffling is that I went to the CC/DU series about six weeks ago and DU did what they typically do against the Tigers-they made quick and easy work of them. UND goes toe to toe with Denver, on the road no less, and then struggled mightily this weekend with trying to figure out how to overcome CC’s trap. 

Western dominated them too 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Godsmack said:

This is what irritates me. A team that struggled vs. ranked teams comes into Grand Forks and sweeps UND on the road. Is this UND regressing to the mean that was established last year? I seriously hope not.

I really hope it was sickness and/or fatigue and not a return to the dumpster fire that was 2022-2023.

• Upvote 1

I think the two things that stick out were the turnovers and the faceoffs.  Couldn't get anything going offensive zone wise because we didn't have the puck off stoppages.  Can't lose that badly in the dot.  

I'm in the boat of splitting up Gaber and Blake.  You can't just put in a new center and things will get all rosy defensively for them.  

I think a kid that needs to be moved up is Strinden.  I'd like to see him with Jammer and James.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If CC gets smoked by the Goofs, are you still going to sing their praises?

If they manage to steal a game, then I may have to reevaluate.

watched the goofs tonight....not a lot of scoring obviously but boy do they have some high end talent still.....

1 minute ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I am not singing praises for cc

They just were better than some gave them credit for 

Other teams can make plays too

I Would think we have more talent

Having more talent means nothing if you don't outwork and outhustle your opponents. UND learned that lesson the hard way this weekend.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I am not singing praises for cc

They just were better than some gave them credit for 

Other teams can make plays too

I Would think we have more talent

The sad and frustrating thing for UND fans, is that much like football, the hockey team has a signature comeback win in Denver, then has fallen off sharply.  The good news is that the second half of the season is where memories hold more emphasis if you can indeed make the tournament, so everything is still in front of them for the hockey team, they just have to do a better job of taking advantage going forward.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Schloss is very bullish on CC. He says that last year’s, this year’s, and next year’s freshmen classes are among the best in the country. He doesn’t think they’re a contender for the Penrose this year or maybe even not next year but they definitely are on an uphill projectary.

Seems like he says that every year....

And every year CC ends up "CCing" in the end.

Just now, Cratter said:

Seems like he says that every year....

And every year CC ends up "CCing" in the end.

Haviland was the wrong hire in 2013. He ran the program into the ground. It takes time but I think they made the right hire in Kris Mayotte. What Lucia did in ‘94 (worst to first and three consecutive McNaughton Cups followed by back to back frozen four appearances) is an anomoly. Mayotte needed a few seasons under his belt to cycle through most of Haviland’s players. He’s bringing in good recruits who simply need time to grow and mature. 

• Upvote 1