SiouxSports.com Forum

Miami @ The Ralph-Ludvig's revenge?

Wilbur

3 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Served on a footlong bun in the shape of a goalie stick. 

There's gotta be an NIL idea here somewhere too... 

Another NIL idea: a local restaurant sells a hamburger called…wait for it…the Cam Berg-er. 

• Upvote 4

Schmaltz will be out for this weekend against Miami...I take it there was no review of the hit that injured him by the UMD player, as I'm guessing we would have heard about it by now.  Miami is missing a whole line of forwards and their backup goalie...all injured.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/key-forwards-expected-to-miss-series-for-miami-und

Miami will still be without Nilsson, Carogioiello and Sullivan for this weekend's series at No. 2 UND (7:07 p.m. Friday, 6:07 p.m. Saturday). Nilsson is expected back sometime in January. The others should return before then.

Miami also will be without backup goalie Bruno Bruveris, who has started once this season. Winnipeg Jets draft pick Logan Neaton is expected to get the call in net for Miami.

UND will be without forward Jake Schmaltz for the series against Miami.

Schmaltz has not practiced yet this week and UND coach Brad Berry ruled him out for the series against the RedHawks.

Schmaltz's injury is not believed to be longterm, though. Berry did not rule out the possibility of Schmaltz playing against Bemidji State next weekend in Ralph Engelstad Arena.

11 hours ago, brianvf said:

Schmaltz will be out for this weekend against Miami...I take it there was no review of the hit that injured him by the UMD player, as I'm guessing we would have heard about it by now.  Miami is missing a whole line of forwards and their backup goalie...all injured.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/key-forwards-expected-to-miss-series-for-miami-und

Is it possible that the NCHC reviewed the hit on Schmaltz and determined that it was not suspension worthy? Would they make any announcement in that situation?

Also, was there any review of the hit that Johannes took to the chin? If the UMD player lined up Johannes's chin with his elbow, as someone had mentioned, that hit seems just as worthy of review and suspension. That type of shot seems more malicious than the open-ice hit that got Caggiula suspended in 2015. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/ludvig-persson-thriving-at-und-as-showdown-against-old-team-awaits

This weekend will be special for Persson.

Different parents of his journey will be coming together in Grand Forks for UND's two-game series against Miami University (7:07 p.m. Friday, 6:07 p.m. Saturday, Ralph Engelstad Arena).

Miami is the place where Persson started his college career and spent the last three seasons.

He will be going head-to-head with several close friends, including his old roommates Robby Drazner and Hampus Rydqvist.

"It's going to be a weird situation," Persson said. "I thought about it a little bit. I'm trying to see it as a really cool opportunity to share the ice with some of my best buddies — both my team now and my former team. It will be a really cool experience, so I'm just going to enjoy the moment."

Persson's parents, who routinely stay up until 5 a.m. in Sweden to watch his games overnight, are making the trip to Grand Forks for the series.

Persson's father saw him play last season at Miami, but his mother has never seen him play college hockey in person.

The last time she saw one of Ludvig's games in person was in 2019-20, when he played juniors for Texas-based Lone Star in the North American Hockey League.

59 minutes ago, AJS said:

I like to break each season into separate groups. This is an oddly high stakes four game stretch upcoming starting tonight. Need to stack up wins before they hit the road to Denver.

Agree that these four games are important to win, but I wouldn't mind seeing them get schooled at least one game in Denver.   Give them something to learn from and a nasty taste in their mouths.     

5 minutes ago, burd said:

Agree that these four games are important to win, but I wouldn't mind seeing them get schooled at least one game in Denver.   Give them something to learn from and a nasty taste in their mouths.     

Or, you know, we could just destroy them because I never want to lose to Denver because eff Denver LOL :D

Totally get where you're coming from haha.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, burd said:

As long as it's a quality loss*.

*See: Football, U of Northern Iowa, come playoff seeding time

• Upvote 1

On 11/16/2023 at 12:00 AM, brianvf said:

Tyler Kleven isn't in the league anymore.  No further need for reviews!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, burd said:

You mean so that this board will have to shut down due to one-off posters coming on to decry why we can't compete with Denver.   No thanks!  We've seen how in the past confidence is a fragile thing.  Would much rather have a weekend like they did against the gophers in Minneapolis on Thanksgiving years ago and take that confidence and run with it.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A little Friday morning trivia.  Without cheating....who currently leads the team in +/- with a +7.  

Here is your help, Blake and Berg are tied for second at +5.

Pyke had a monster assist weekend against the Purple Cows (NCHC DPOTW). That usually spells good +/-. So, ... Pyke.