SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Murray State

Nodak78

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Simply responding to the previous post which erroneously stated UND couldn’t win anything prior to Bubba.

“The team finished 2013 with just 3 wins and couldn't break 5 wins for several years”

2011 Mussman team was still quite awful- definitely not my bar - but they did win more games than Bubba’s first two seasons. 

Look who they played.  If this years team and staff played that schedule with the exact same results you would be crapping all over them worse than you do now. 

5 minutes ago, homer said:

Look who they played.  If this years team and staff played that schedule with the exact same results you would be crapping all over them worse than you do now. 

I’m not arguing that point. I was just responding to a different posters (@108498) opinion/post, which I feel incorrectly portrays the situation and tries to inappropriately deescalate the pressure on UND’s current head coach.

My post:
2011 Mussman team was still quite awful- definitely not my bar - but they did win more games than Bubba’s first two seasons. 

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I’m not arguing that point. I was just responding to a different posters opinion/post, which I felt incorrectly portrayed the situation and tried to inappropriately deescalate the pressure on Bubba

My post:
2011 Mussman team was still quite awful- definitely not my bar - but they did win more games than Bubba’s first two seasons. 

4 wins vs non scholly or D2 and lower.   Yet that’s your bar.   Nice

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, homer said:

Ok dude. You do you. Not my bar and never said that. You’re off on a tangent now. I don’t care about Mussman football currently, those teams were awful and that’s well in the past.

UND football CURRENTLY with Schweigert is not good enough if you’d like to see UND football win a championship. Fargo, ND and Brookings, SD can do it, but how about Grand Forks?

49 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

They hit a ceiling, years ago. Your comments make me think you’re either biased and/or misinformed, because your comments are generalized and almost non-factual.

It’s been 10 years. How far has the team truly come? Anyone actually watching this program has seen 5-7 in 2014 turn into perennial 7-4 and no playoff wins. They have not made substantial progress despite what some try to portray. 

“I understand the frustration that the team hasn't been past the 1st round of the playoffs much, but Bubba has taken the team there a few times. “

- they have only won one playoff game. EVER. During an asterisk season in spring 2021. Bubba has not been able to transform UND into a championship caliber program, period. They can’t win playoff games and routinely miss the playoffs. 

UND was winning more than 5 games prior to Bubba. Mussman got UND to 8 wins in 2011. It’s not some impossible task to get UND football to FCS championship level (see South Dakota State); but it requires a certain effort and talent to get them there. Bubba is at the end of his career, and the projection is well established at year 10; he’s not that guy. 

Compare the 2011 schedule to our MVFC.  Grasping at straws.

2011 Football Schedule - University of North Dakota Athletics (fightinghawks.com). Black Hills St, Montana western,  Sioux falls.  Really

• Upvote 1

I think we all know that UND is not at the level we want them to be at. I think any fan would say they want to win the title every year. I also think we can agree that Bubba is not the coach to get us to that point. I would add though, that we have become a beast at home and a team others have to respect. Is Bubba perfect ... no, but he deserves a thankyou for helping the team dig out of the hole they were in.  Remember UND didn't win their first Division 2 title until 2001.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Good lord, we won the damn game and dominated a good chunk. Things to obviously work on but for fucks ‘s sake you guys are on one more than usual. Give it a rest, you’ve said it all before. It’s a road win and we have some key pieces missing.

Well, I don’t think anyone honesty thought we’d go the entire season without winning a road game. If that truly is where our mindset it at, that says more than anything. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Ok dude. You do you. Not my bar and never said that. You’re off on a tangent now. I don’t care about Mussman football currently, those teams were awful and that’s well in the past.

UND football CURRENTLY with Schweigert is not good enough if you’d like to see UND football win a championship. Fargo, ND and Brookings, SD can do it, but how about Grand Forks?

You for some reason picked that season to prove 8 wins was attainable before Bubba got here.  It’s your bar.  

4 minutes ago, homer said:

You for some reason picked that season to prove 8 wins was attainable before Bubba got here.  It’s your bar.  

You’re purposely not reading at this point. That’s on you. Read @108498’s post, which I responded to. Even if 8 wins is the bar, will UND get there this year? They haven’t hit 8 wins since 2016…

Decade by decade

17 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You’re purposely not reading at this point. That’s on you. Read @108498’s post, which I responded to. Even if 8 wins is the bar, will UND get there this year? They haven’t hit 8 wins since 2016…

Decade by decade

I read it when you posted it.  His post was about not breaking 5 wins…..so your rebuttal is a year we beat a non scholly and 3 D2 teams or lower.  

You are the one not comprehending.  Yesterday you say this years team doesn’t have a quality win this year, now those 4 wins are your bar for a 8 win team and no progress has been made under this staff. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, homer said:

I read it when you posted it.  His post was about not breaking 5 wins…..so your rebuttal is a year we beat a non scholly and 3 D2 teams or lower.  

You are the one not comprehending.  Yesterday you say this years team doesn’t have a quality win this year, now those 4 wins are your bar for a 8 win team and no progress has been made under this staff. 

He mentioned in his post the team could not win more than 5 games for a “few years” before Bubba.

Team has a quality win versus NDSU. That counts. Need to beat USD next weekend or else it will be same situation as last season and 2019 (7-4) and we know how those postseason chances ended quite abruptly. 

3 hours ago, homer said:

when muss when coach there were about 10 good fcs programs ...............bubba only has to compete against about 5 good fcs schools.

muss didn't have the pollard either.

Muss also would not try to offer anyone NDSU (thinking we cannot compete) would show interest. (Heard that from some area high school coaches at the time). Thus really throwing stuff out and hoping for a home run. (We had some, but also many more misses or no cohesive roster assembly) He was a good O coordinator but unfortunately did not have the best qualities as head coach. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND Football Fan said:

Muss also would not try to offer anyone NDSU (thinking we cannot compete) would show interest. (Heard that from some area high school coaches at the time). Thus really throwing stuff out and hoping for a home run. (We had some, but also many more misses or no cohesive roster assembly) He was a good O coordinator but unfortunately did not have the best qualities as head coach. 

He was an awful head coach for the qualities you mentioned. UND athletic department didn’t do him any favors, but Mussman didn’t do anything to change that, either. Happy UND moved on in 2013.

Bubba has helped rally more support for football, but now he’s entered the era where the only thing left to do to increase that support is win big games.

Change is inevitable - we’ve now reached another point in time (after this season) where change is again necessary. 

Good lord why are we talking about Muss today???  Do I even want to know??  He's out of sight out of mind, and should always be.

I didn't catch much of the game yesterday...saw we won, offense played well, defense, not so much.

Could really use a complete, three phase effort next week against USD.  If we get it we'll be cooking with gas...if not..."Selection Sunday" will be a high blood pressure event...

seems like we should focus on the positives at least a little bit at this point

• Offense basically scored at will.  IF you want to complain a little bit.. Tommy missed a couple of deep throws to some pretty wide open receivers.  That said he also threw for 279 yds, 5 TD's and a couple nice little scrambles.
  • Isaiah Smith was a complete dog.. great running effort.. Overall OL was very solid.
  • CJ Elrichs looked good kicking XP's and FG's.. Need to keep seeing this.  Im guessing either the USD or the ISU game will come down to a couple FG's.
  • Continued Improvement of Malachi McNeal

The Bad

• Defense Struggled.. obviously.. Clearly missed McNaboe.. our D-line depth is still lacking.
  • Losing CJ is a self-inflicted idiotic coaching mistake... particularly in this game.  You are already down McNaboe.. why in the world are we throwing one of our most important Defensive players out there on Returns unless he is doing anything other than fair catches.  Seems like we have a bunch of guys that could fill that role.. Eliodor.. Tai.. Siedle.. Skokna..

The unexplainable..

• UND timeout to give Murray ST a little extra time at the end of the 2nd quarter.. Between that and some terrible home clock running.  Should have been 24-3 at halftime.  Just dumb
  • Letting CJ return kicks.. dumb.. unexplainable.. bizarre. 
  • Murray ST's best offense in the 2nd half was UND penalties.. PI and holding.. some of them were really homer calls.. some were prob deserved.  McNaboe and Siegel would have made a difference.
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Skokna got hurt and didn't play the second half.  Didn't hear Pedigo's name called yesterday.  Assuming he's out injured, too?

What about Quincy Vaughan?  Did he play at all?  I thought there was a 3rd and short they might bring him out for, but they didn't.  Also don't recall him catching a pass.