SiouxSports.com Forum

Icebreaker @ REA - UND vs. Army, Bucky; BSU vs. Bucky, Army

stoneySIOUX

Including exhibition games with other weak opponents it was our most lopsided win as a program since we played Yale 20 years ago. Just the eye test for our forwards checked out. If I’m being honest I thought Perron outshined 2 forwards that I pegged as Hobey candidates in Gaber and Blake. Granted they may not have been full 110% like he was, which makes it even more exciting. And this was his first ever college hockey game. Everyone commented on the 3rd goal which was impressive but the shiftiness and velocity on his 2nd goal shocked me.  If he’s able to continue to do these things when we get to wisco, minny and BU we’ll know we have something special. 

All this to say, yes we’ll probably have duds and learning experiences. Every season, even the great ones, have had them. But I haven’t been that amped up after watching an exhibition game since I started watching UND hockey. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Including exhibition games with other weak opponents it was our most lopsided win as a program since we played Yale 20 years ago.

I totaled a car after hitting black ice on the way to that Yale game, and now that you pointed out that it was 20 yrs ago...I feel really old

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, franchise said:

I totaled a car after hitting black ice on the way to that Yale game, and now that you pointed out that it was 20 yrs ago...I feel really old

Yeah I feel that. I was in college at Colorado at a friend's apartment listening to the radio and if my memory serves Zach Jones scored his only goal of his college career.  Feels like it could be yesterday. Yikes though, glad you're here to post about how old you are.  I did the same thing in 2011 and have hated driving on icy roads since.

49 minutes ago, franchise said:

Me? Truck. On way home after win in GF. Fire'rock' tire sidewall failed. Flat spin to barrel roll in ditch. Not quite 20 ago. 

PS - Seat belts are your friend. 

• Upvote 2

I remember leaving the Ralph after a win against Canisius in 2004. The dorms had just closed for Christmas break, so I stayed to watch the game and then left for the cities late. Ice was horrible after the game and traffic was crawling leaving town. (Smart college kid to leave and drive 5 hours late and in bad conditions). Was barely on the highway and we are crawling in the right late. Another kid comes flying by in the left lane and doesn't see the lane is blocked off by a cop car because of an accident. Barrels into the cop car at about 60 or 70. I remember seeing brake lights and no slowing down. Cop had to kind of hurry of to the side and was lucky not to be hurt. I drove pretty white knuckled for the next hour.

Lots of local-ish flavor on the Army squad, including a Grand Forks native:

Lucas Kanta (Grand Forks, N.D)
Easton Zueger (Sioux Falls, S.D.)
Jon Bell (St. Cloud, Minn.)
Nik Hong (Minneapolis, Minn.)
Ricky Lyle (Duluth, Minn.)
Joey Dosan (Bloomington, Minn)
Jake Felker (Omaha, Neb.)

8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Me? Truck. On way home after win in GF. Fire'rock' tire sidewall failed. Flat spin to barrel roll in ditch. Not quite 20 ago. 

PS - Seat belts are your friend. 

Me?  My beloved 2014 Town & Country a few weeks ago totalled by a guy that ran a red light, as I was going out to get a sandwich to celebrate a UND win.  Yes, seat belts ARE your friend.  I was able to walk away because of them.

8 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yeah I feel that. I was in college at Colorado at a friend's apartment listening to the radio and if my memory serves Zach Jones scored his only goal of his college career.  Feels like it could be yesterday. Yikes though, glad you're here to post about how old you are.  I did the same thing in 2011 and have hated driving on icy roads since.

But man, could he play D.

8 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Schloss made a good point that Army doesn't benefit from the transfers the same as a lot of other schools.  They're stuck in the old model of recruiting and developing while the rest of college hockey plays free agency.

It’s different for service academies. 

5 hours ago, Goon said:

It’s different for service academies. 

All students start as first year students (plebes) and go four years even if they transfer in from another school. They can opt out after first 2 years but after that they have the 8yr obligation. Tuition, books, room and board plus just under $1100 per month for all students. They can leave in 3rd or 4th yr but would have to serve as enlisted soldier for 2 yrs and may have to pay back school for costs of education. I wouldn’t think they will get anyone through the transfer portal. 

Edited by iramurphy
Updated info
  • Upvote 3

Quick questions for those who may know more. Not trying to overlook Army at all, this is a serious question. Do we really expect them to be much higher of a caliber than Manitoba was? I'm not saying we win 10-0, but to me, this seems like the game that a good team wins 7-0 or 8-1 and outshoots by a significant margin.

Then again, maybe I'm way off base here as I don't know a ton about Army. Again, not trying to underestimate, but know what real expectations should be. Only impressive spot from last year was a tie against Providence.

11 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Quick questions for those who may know more. Not trying to overlook Army at all, this is a serious question. Do we really expect them to be much higher of a caliber than Manitoba was? I'm not saying we win 10-0, but to me, this seems like the game that a good team wins 7-0 or 8-1 and outshoots by a significant margin.

Then again, maybe I'm way off base here as I don't know a ton about Army. Again, not trying to underestimate, but know what real expectations should be. Only impressive spot from last year was a tie against Providence.

I expect a faster and more disciplined style of play.
I don't think their top forward would be in UND's top six. 

Jump on them early and roll four. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

Last season, Army finished middle of Atlantic Hockey.

But I hear they have some real snipers.

Any chance Army's Captain is a real Captain?  Are any of the following on their roster...General Motors, Major Woody, or Private Parts?