SiouxSports.com Forum

The UND @ South Dakota State 9/30/2023

SiouxFan100

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

I may be minority but all this talk of blowing up this program and starting new is just dreams of arm chair quarterbacks. I look at our opponent yesterday they went through same things we have been experiencing like us for over 10 years with up and downs but never able to beat top teams. Then all that has come together where they are at the top of the division. Second, COVID  extra year I believe has helped them get to this point if you look at there lines they have a lot of seniors and number six year players which moved depth above normal what FCS program usually have. I believe Und is top 10 team in FCS  but right now Sdsu is at another  level and probably only Montana state is in that level right now.  I believe NDSU has come back to the pack because new transfer rules and because UND, SDSU, and number of other programs have made in roads on recruiting. This important fact it takes years build recruiting network and then also recruiting top talent and what is expected with university in having high expectations in gpa from our student athletes in small division I programs makes it quite a challenge. I can remember now where we had coaching changes that program fell back so far it has taken years to get it back to where it was top program. Und has up graded their offense line this past several years and now they need to up grade their size at defense line and if they stay 3-4 also size and quickness at linebacker. This season now is for Und to win games that are suppose to win. Continue to build resume to make the playoffs and get better as season goes along. Because end of season who knows where everyone is at the end of season with couple key injuries some teams may come back to the pack. The team we played yesterday is very good team and they were playing at home in perfect conditions wanting to make a statement to FCS they are in league of their own.

Yeah I don’t agree with a lot of this. I do agree it is way too early to expect any coaching changes, or even if Bill Chaves and UND would consider it given the financial ramifications. 

The same COVID eligibility rules you mention as helping SDSU also apply to UND. UND has seniors all over the team yet they were completely outmatched vs Boise State and SDSU. Since 2016, in big games based on 10k attendance plus, Bubba’s teams are 12-15. That’s purely bad and should not be acceptable. 

Just waiting and seeing how the regional and national FCS dominos fall, without aggressively looking for staff upgrades, is likely how this plays out. But I also think UND would be hoping for just one FCS championship in the next 50 years with that mindset/strategy. We certainly won’t build anything close to what NDSU created or what SDSU is currently experiencing with that mindset / approach. 

Treating South Dakota State as if they’re the University of Georgia or University of Alabama is petty justification and really just excuses mediocrity and extends Bubba ball unnecessarily. It’s Brookings SD vs Grand Forks ND. SDSU vs UND. Let’s keep this in perspective.

Lastly, UND is not a top 10 FCS team at this point. Open your eyes. Look at the big picture. Never have been under Bubba, and they aren’t now. Have to hope they can finish 8-3 or 7-4, as that is best case scenario, in 2023. Maybe they can improve to become top 10, but they aren’t there right now, and likely won’t be at the end of this season … again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, wheelsup said:

I happen to trust Danny a bit more than somebody biking by memorial stadium every so often.

What accomplishments to suggest we should crown him? Hoping it happens, but he still has to prove himself. Offense still hasn’t held up against top competition since 2019. There’s doubt, and they’re justified in my opinion.

16 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

What accomplishments to suggest we should crown him? Hoping it happens, but he still has to prove himself. Offense still hasn’t held up against top competition since 2019. There’s doubt, and they’re justified in my opinion.

Who's crowning anybody? He said he trusts Danny more than some weirdo on a bike.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

Richmond

Yeah you are right, that one stung more than this one...as we blew a playoff win. That was fairly early in Bubba era though....and even though we blew it....it looked like we were a playoff worthy team and we had progressed each year. 7 years or whatever later with being patient and waiting and now thinking we were about to make a splash we completely sh*t the bed and look like are are no further along than we were against Richmond. I don't think I even cursed yesterday.... because from the opening drive...we were never even in it.

I’m not completely off the Danny train yet. He has his moments where he’s a really good play caller and I think he has a lot of the attributes you would like in a young coach. He also has way too many head catching moments. I would like to see him call plays for a QB that can throw more than 5 yards down field before I’m completely off of him. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

I’m not completely off the Danny train yet. He has his moments where he’s a really good play caller and I think he has a lot of the attributes you would like in a young coach. He also has way too many head catching moments. I would like to see him call plays for a QB that can throw more than 5 yards down field before I’m completely off of him. 

This is fair, but the current QB room is the coaching staff’s own doing. These coaches set their roster, and recruit their players. Let’s not act like the transfer portal and other options to optimize the QB room haven’t been there since 2019 when Freund took over as OC ……

5 hours ago, LDL said:

Regarding the use of the 3-4 defense I think the linemen and linebackers need to be bigger.  a couple of the linebackers need to be in the 245-250 range.  The current roster shows the biggest at 235 (2 guys).  Some of the DE's are at 245, also too small for FCS football.  Also regarding the roster, it lists several players as Graduate, 5th year, and Seniors.  Since covid messed things up, which of these players have eligibility available after this year?  

@gundy1124 and I have been beating this drum since 2017

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

True enough, but not like the coaches have first pick of the recruits, other schools do get a chance...

Beauty of competition. Have to compete and out do their competition, both on the field and off the field (recruiting). They haven’t done that. Need to try new avenues. Trying the same thing over and over again hasn’t worked. Developing local high school talent isn’t the only way to go about this thing …

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

@gundy1124 and I have been beating this drum since 2017

There’s no question they need to be bigger, stronger, faster, better …

Look at the atrocity SDSU just performed, running up and down the field. See NDSU and Weber State last year. It’s been an issue for a while. 

At its core, a lot of recruiting issues, but also scheme and philosophy. This all falls back on Bubba. He’s failed. 

27 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Also hard when you can't run the ball either. Crazy how we were so effective on offense to start the first half last year. Then it's like SDSU figured it out ...and since then....we haven't been able to do anything.  I get SDSU has bigger and better athletes....but still it was very disappointing in offense once again yesterday. 

5 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I get SDSU has bigger and better athletes....but still it was very disappointing in offense once again yesterday. 

Think back to ~2018/2109, when the current teams were just getting formed via recruiting. how did Bubba and UND get boat-raced by Stieg and SDSU in recruiting and development? SDSU simply doing better is one thing, but this?? It’s just not acceptable now 5 years later. This is all on top of what NDSU has done to continuously embarrass UND head to head and in recruiting. Bubba needs to be held accountable. He’s failed. 

back in 2018/2019, after und went a pathetic 3-8 in 2017, everyone said just give Bubba another 5 years. Well here we are. Crushed. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

the current QB room is the coaching staff’s own doing

It seems like most (everyone??) here are pretty satisfied with the QB room. The only reason Tommy is here is because our former recruit bailed on us, so I actually don’t consider the Tommy situation a product of our “coaches own doing.”  We’ve been able to make the best of that situation, but it appears to be coming to an end. 

11 minutes ago, Kab said:

Coaches don’t have to have a Covid player come back do they?

Tommy coming back would be a hindrance to the QB room

is there another QB coming in next year?

No I don't think they do. Although if they tell Tommy he likely won't be the starter next year, and might even be 3rd string.....and he accepts that role it wouldn't be a hindrance to have that kind of experience if the top 2 go down. It is going to be interesting though to see how all of that shakes out.  Hope the coaches do what is best for ND football. 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

It seems like most (everyone??) here are pretty satisfied with the QB room. The only reason Tommy is here is because our former recruit bailed on us, so I actually don’t consider the Tommy situation a product of our “coaches own doing.”  We’ve been able to make the best of that situation, but it appears to be coming to an end. 

The event you’re referencing is when Cedric Case flipped to Texas State in 2019. Need to hold on to those commitments (coaches can take action to prevent that), but also, it’s been 4 years (I repeat, 4 years!) since then. There’s been numerous opportunities to get better QBs. Transfer portal? It’s a product of the coaches own doing. The idea that the coaches - who are in complete control of their own actions (or lack thereof) - are independent of the roster is ridiculous.  

Made best of the situation? Going 5-6 (2021) and 7-4 (2022) is not good. Schuster’s play in big games has been average at best. There’s been a false narrative that he’s been elite, when in fact, he’s been a game manager that avoids mistakes. Sounds like UND just rode with Schuster due to the situation described in 2019, produced middle of the road football, and most just went with it, not demanding excellence, as per usual with UND football.    

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The event you’re referencing is when Cedric Case flipped to Texas State in 2019. Need to hold on to those commitments (coaches can take action to prevent that), but also, it’s been 4 years (I repeat, 4 years!) since then. There’s been numerous opportunities to get better QBs. Transfer portal? It’s a product of the coaches own doing. The idea that the coaches - who are in complete control of their own actions (or lack thereof) - are independent of the roster is ridiculous.  

Made best of the situation? Going 5-6 (2021) and 7-4 (2022) is not good. Schuster’s play in big games has been average at best. There’s been a false narrative that he’s been elite, when in fact, he’s been a game manager that avoids mistakes. Sounds like UND just rode with Schuster due to the situation described in 2019, produced middle of the road football, and most just went with it, not demanding excellence, as per usual with UND football.    

Don't think the Case flip was some big loss.  I believe he ended up transferring again to a D2 school in Missouri.

• Upvote 1