SiouxSports.com Forum

The UND @ South Dakota State 9/30/2023

SiouxFan100

32 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Agreed. We have to stop this hockey vs. everything else thinking. It's a false choice that is holding our athletic department back.

Anytime you extend a coach that goes 3-8 (2017) and 5-6 (2021) it makes you wonder what’s impairing the vision and decision-making up top… 

I've waited patiently for this program to build into a contender over the last ten years. There have been glimmers of hope along the way. I bought into the hype that this was going to be the year things all came together, the culmination of the gradual buildup. The opposite has turned out to be the case. The team has regressed and the most important player, the QB, has been front and center in that regression. This team is mired in permanent mediocrity and inconsistency under the current regime.

• Upvote 2

There were many things that bother me today.. Im really sick to my stomach over the team crapping the bed in another big game.  It was really a terrible game and not even close.  I even talked myself into thinking they could come back in the 2nd half.. the worsts..

• Complete inability to stop the run.. I don’t get it.  We have been in the MVC now for a few years and we still don’t seem to have adapted/recruited different on the d-line from the big sky.   Its terrible.  If we play like this, NDSU will drop the plow on us again in 2 weeks.
  • I don’t get the beginning of the game.  How could we not have been better prepared.  After shitting the bed on defense, How could Danny not have dreamed up a better offensive series for the first series.  Really.. his best idea was that stupid play with Q on down 2?  I don’t think that play works in FM athletics..
  • Our scoring sequence in the 2nd quarter was almost wrecked by somehow trying to turn Isaiah Smith into a power runner.. cmon man!
  • I don’t get the offensive series at the start of the 3rd quarter.  Opportunity to get back into the game.  Offense cant step up.  Where is our vaunted offensive line.  Where is the pride and tiredness of being kicked around
  • Im ready to try a new QB.. I think Feeney deserves a chance.  I still think all of the Kaminski talk is delusional.  Tommy would be a decent QB if we had a great defense.  Since we don’t.. we need a more dynamic QB.  Tommy has played 2 games in a row against top teams and has played very poorly.. its time to try something new.  I still believe if Tommy had played our last year of Ketteringham we would have been a better team.

SDSU was just all around better than us.. bigger.. faster.. more athletic.. better coached.  I think Ill see Isaiah Davis in my dreams tnight running through holes in the UND line that even an old guy like me could wander through.   I was hopeful that we would play better than we did on defense and disappointed that we didnt.. I was shocked that our offense was so inept.

• Upvote 4

In his article "5 things you might have missed..." Miller has a hot take that the inadvertent whistle prevented a moment shift. One of the things he didn't mention in his 5 things was SDSU outrushed UND 266-68. Tough to shift momentum when you're constantly getting punched in the face and abused on both sides of the line of scrimmage but if an inadvertent whistle fits your narrative to soften this beat down go for it.

This game was like watching Shanley vs (insert any AAA team) on a Friday night....not competitive at all.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 6:55 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Apathy is burning the soul. Big opportunity to change that next weekend in Brookings. Go Hawks

Well, another opportunity squandered. More apathy, especially for the causal crowd/fans that don’t partake in a messaging board like this.  

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

0-8 versus crowds of 13,000+ since 2016. 12-15 versus crowds of 10,000+ since 2016.  Big crowds = Big games, which for UND fb has meant ongoing failure and consistently being out-coached.

New leadership is definitely needed, but at this early point in the season, it’s about trying new players, new schemes/philosophy, new styles, new approaches to preparation/ pregame, etc.

Need to establish the line of scrimmage and stop the run. QB spot is expendable based the last 2 games; need a bigger, stronger, more athletic player that also protects the ball. Not solely a game manager. Play-calling to better emphasize the running game needs to improve. Running backs are okay, but could definitely be better there. Attempted and failed in the transfer portal for that spot. Defensively, consider loading the box, stop the run, inevitably give up some big passing plays. Needs to happen. Need better players up front, bigger/ stronger linemen, more physical linebackers. It’s a long season, and this was against FCS No. 1, but this UND FB program is not currently set up to take the next step. UND is a top 25 team, but it has no business being a top 10 team with how it is currently run. How to accomplish that next step? Positive change. Does UND administration want a top 10 football program to compete with conference mates NDSU and SDSU, or is top 25 good enough? What do the boosters want? Would they even travel to Frisco in January or would hockey be too important? 

Actually, I left the game early. I decided my memories were better than the reality. I remember being in a much smaller stadium and watching the game in a blizzard. At half time every woman ran to the concrete block bathroom which was heated (much like going to the car at Memorial and turning the heat on high and putting your feet by the vents). We totally trounced them but the announcer did not say “Tackled by the entire Fighting Sioux defense.” I beat the traffic ham on my way out.

On 9/23/2023 at 10:39 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

I’ll go with Fresno, they host Boise St.  Wyoming also up there, played Texas tough. Air Force looks solid.

Despite all of that, Air Force barely beat Sam Houston State, and Fresno State barely snuck by Eastern Washington. Portland St hung within 14 of Wyoming.

Meanwhile, UND pisses themselves out at Boise in front of 100+ fans/parents. I’m sorry, but the leadership and results for UND football is and has been lacking.  10 years later, sample size is adequate. I put my money where my mouth is, and get disappointed year after year. Change is needed, look forward to it, whether next year or in 10 years, it needs to happen. 

On 9/23/2023 at 10:31 AM, Kab said:

Who wins it

Boise State lost.

Air force, Fresno, Wyoming won. 

Another FBS opportunity squandered. 

“But they’re FBS … 99% FCS teams would lose”

Apologists will do what they do best … apologize. 

On 9/26/2023 at 3:18 PM, geaux_sioux said:

Im looking for a win, but even more than that I’m looking for our team to look the part in the big moments. Haven’t seen that a single time in the last 10 years. It’s time to take that step. I want to see that killer instinct.

Still missing. Been missing nearly exclusively under this current regime.

0-8 versus crowds of 13,000+ since 2016. 12-15 versus crowds of 10,000+ since 2016.  Big crowds = Big games, which for UND fb has meant ongoing failure and consistently being out-coached. 

Getting very very close to that time to move on. Man, what ~ 2014-2016 could have been with Kalen DeBoer … but, well, the “good ol’ boy club” really struck out UND football in that one. Just need to make sure this lesson is applied and we learn from our mistakes in future decisions. The Roger Thomas, Dale Lennon, Bubba Schweigert collection years are over folks … it is time to move on.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

who had kicking being the bright spot of the day?

The kicker was fine. He kicked 3 of 4 into end zone. 2 touchbacks and the one run back was a yard into the end zone. Last KO was out of bounds. He made his XPs. KO coverage wasn’t good on the one they returned but brought back to 9 yd line cuz of penalty. 
Punter was  inconsistent. Had 2 in the 37-39 range. Great first punt and a 65 yd bomb that was returned for 51 yds. Punter made open field tackle to save TD. 2 missed tackles by punt coverage should have pinned them deep on the long punt. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Getting very very close to that time to move on. Man, what ~ 2014-2016 could have been with Kalen DeBoer … but, well, the “good ol’ boy club” really struck out UND football in that one. Just need to make sure this lesson is applied and we learn from our mistakes in future decisions. The Roger Thomas, Dale Lennon, Bubba Schweigert collection years are over folks … it is time to move on.  

Disgusting performance

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Freund is not the answer either

I don't really buy into the "Big Game" theory. If we are honest with ourselves, we have never been the favorite in a "big game". If we had SDSU's roster and lost then I could buy it. To me, it's not that Bubba chokes in big games, it's that Bubba doesn't build a roster to win big games... 

• Upvote 1