SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

On 12/16/2023 at 8:53 PM, forksandspoons said:

The last two teams remaining this season will come to the Alerus next season 

Don't forget USD.  The top 3 seeds in the playoffs will all come to the Alerus.  Better than playing them on the road I guess.  Oh, and the other team in the semis (NDSU) we got on the road.  Throw in an FBS game in there and you got a gautlet of a schedule.  But that is the way it goes in the MVFC.  That being said, The SDSU team that comes to the Alerus next year will be a drastically different team than the one playing next month in Frisco.  They have 18 6th year starters that are all graduating. Plus,  Granowski may see all the starters leaving and I think may look at hitting the transfer portal.  But still will be a tough schedule.

4 hours ago, homer said:

I just assumed all the times you mentioned how bad the coaching staff was and should  be let go or we are accepting “mediocrity and status quo” you actually meant the entire staff.  Cause that has been your message over and over for the last year.  

Now it’s just the head coach?

Hard to argue.  even though Ralphie did 

12 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Busy being professionals likely. They need to vet things so it’s not like they’re going to write an article on that before confirming with the athletic department 

the word "vet" doesn't exist in modern journalism......a little birdie told me works now.

30 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

I don’t understand how he is the one to blame for our shortcomings that all has to start with recruiting and play calling

Could be looked at like a Scapegoat move. Something had to be done in 2018 (missed playoffs two years in a row after a conference championship), so Rudolph and Knauf let go. Something needed to be done now this year (squandering second 1/2 of season), so Baukol let go. But never ever would the head coach be held accountable … God forbid…

• Upvote 2

Just now, gfhockey said:

You do have to admit the replacements for knauf and Rudolph were an upgrade tho

Agree with Freund and Pawlak for sure. Hiring of OL coach Pawlak, which was coordinated by then newly promoted OC Freund, is probably the best staff hire of Bubba’s tenure.

The other coaching changes have mostly felt like forced internal promotions, largely on the defensive side of the ball. Minimal outside influence has hurt this group, and here we are; awful defense in 2022 and 2023. Surprise? I think not.  

Joe Pawlak was hired from University of Iowa, and it’s no surprise that diversity and outside influence has paid dividends.

Wonder if other outside influence / diverse hires would be worth it? Hmm …??

You either change and keep up with the times or get left behind. 

Just a curiosity question, and I know opinions will vary, but if you were wanting to hire a Defensive Coordinator, what defensive position coach(es) (not looking for coaches names, but the position they coach) would you be looking at?  Defensive line?  Linebackers?  Does it matter? 

3 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Just a curiosity question, and I know opinions will vary, but if you were wanting to hire a Defensive Coordinator, what defensive position coach(es) (not looking for coaches names, but the position they coach) would you be looking at?  Defensive line?  Linebackers?  Does it matter? 

I’d bet LB is a position that transfers the most to coordinators and HCs. No data on that, just an off the top of my head feeling.

7 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

We will be lucky to have Pawlak next season. NDSU doesn’t have a true OL coach and Polasek has a connection with him at Iowa. Bison report and Dom Izzo have both pointed out how hiring Pawlak is a real possibility. 

we need to do everything we can to retain him including matching whatever NDSU offers, our whole offense is dependent on his OL development, performance and recruitment 

Maybe have Pawlak go to OC and Freund go to HC? If UND continues to lose coaches to NDSU all while failing to move on from mediocre coaches, then, well, UND will continue to be mediocre.

Again, you either change and keep up with the times or get left behind. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

We will be lucky to have Pawlak next season. NDSU doesn’t have a true OL coach and Polasek has a connection with him at Iowa. Bison report and Dom Izzo have both pointed out how hiring Pawlak is a real possibility. 

we need to do everything we can to retain him including matching whatever NDSU offers, our whole offense is dependent on his OL development, performance and recruitment 

Heard this a few days ago and pointed it out. We need to keep him. 

59 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Maybe have Pawlak go to OC and Freund go to HC? If UND continues to lose coaches to NDSU all while failing to move on from mediocre coaches, then, well, UND will continue to be mediocre.

Again, you either change and keep up with the times or get left behind. 

We know this isn’t going to happen right now but I do agree we should elevate his role somehow, some way. He’s made it clear he’s an excellent coach, let’s reward him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Heard this a few days ago and pointed it out. We need to keep him. 

Really?  I think he’s a decent coach, and there is no doubt that position group can run block well.  But to me part of the problems of being able to find receivers further down the field and our line doesn’t typically sustain a lot of time in the pass block game.  I can’t tell you how many how many times I got to 2 Mississippi— and it was already scramble & extend time.  Is it any wonder that we ran quick passing/ WR screen, more often than not. (Which everyone here is sick of).  To me, no one is irreplaceable.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, the green team said:

Really?  I think he’s a decent coach, and there is no doubt that position group can run block well.  But to me part of the problems of being able to find receivers further down the field and our line doesn’t typically sustain a lot of time in the pass block game.  I can’t tell you how many how many times I got to 2 Mississippi— and it was already scramble & extend time.  Is it any wonder that we ran quick passing/ WR screen, more often than not. (Which everyone here is sick of).  To me, no one is irreplaceable.  

Huge discrepancy between our run blocking and pass blocking ability. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

We know this isn’t going to happen right now but I do agree we should elevate his role somehow, some way. He’s made it clear he’s an excellent coach, let’s reward him. 

Elevate his role somehow? Co-OC? All sounds nice but …

Bottomline is pay him more and recognize his importance or lose him. Doesn’t help the coach on current staff that is paid the most happens to be quite expendable.