SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

9 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Until I see some good defensive portal transfers, I'd definitely say that is high. If we can't get to the QB again next year it's going to be hard to take a step forward. 

100%. @geaux_sioux laid it out. 3 OLB, 2/3S, 2 DE, 1NG from the portal. Defensively they need more talent. As things stand right now, this team won’t make the playoffs.

What’s my worry? OLB was not good two seasons ago. No portal additions. UND’s OLB might have been the worst positional group in the entire FCS last year. So crazy to me that they thought that group was fine to go into a season with. Worry is that will happen again. The positions of need are so obvious, maybe just not to the Coaches.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

100%. @geaux_sioux laid it out. 3 OLB, 2/3S, 2 DE, 1NG from the portal. Defensively they need more talent. As things stand right now, this team won’t make the playoffs.

What’s my worry? OLB was not good two seasons ago. No portal additions. UND’s OLB might have been the worst positional group in the entire FCS last year. So crazy to me that they thought that group was fine to go into a season with. Worry is that will happen again. The positions of need are so obvious, maybe just not to the Coaches.

I would add one power running back and another receiver

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I would add one power running back and another receiver

I’d be happy w/ one OL / WR. Not sure how I feel about a RB. Happy with 20, 28, 29. Do agree you could always use a solid 4th. Not sure if you’d upset the current RB room though.

3 hours ago, AJS said:

I’d be happy w/ one OL / WR. Not sure how I feel about a RB. Happy with 20, 28, 29. Do agree you could always use a solid 4th. Not sure if you’d upset the current RB room though.

Key word “power” RB. Z is the only power RB on the roster. Wouldn’t mind having a walk on beef filling that spot.

going to need to find a replacement for Quincy once he graduates

On 12/5/2023 at 7:35 PM, Goose15 said:

Their offense is not why they are winning this year! Without their defense they are an average team. 

I am glad South Dakota's great offense after 1 year showed up to play today... Oh wait it is against NDSU though and apparently we can't count games against them according to some on here. 

1 hour ago, Goose15 said:

I am glad South Dakota's great offense after 1 year showed up to play today... Oh wait it is against NDSU though and apparently we can't count games against them according to some on here. 

Why are you so enthralled with Danny’s "2 yard pass and a cloud of dust" offense?    It was poor in almost every big game we had this season.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Why are you so enthralled with Danny’s "2 yard pass and a cloud of dust" offense?    It was poor in almost every big game we had this season.

The same offense that scored more points against NDSU than South Dakota did in two games? The same offense that works around the strengths of its QB? We certainly didn't push the ball down field every play, but that's not the strength of our offense. I am glad that "dust" allowed us to be a top scoring offense again this year. (24th in the FCS)

• Upvote 1

Just now, Goose15 said:

The same offense that scored more points against NDSU than South Dakota did in two games? The same offense that works around the strengths of its QB? We certainly didn't push the ball down field every play, but that's not the strength of our offense. I am glad that "dust" allowed us to be a top scoring offense again this year. (24th in the FCS)

Am I conversing with Danny's dad?  How did it go vs Boise St?  @SDSU? @UNI? @USD?  even Sac St when it mattered?  Let me know will you?  It's not like this is the first year of this "2 yards and a cloud of dust offense"...

How many times over the years has Danny out thought himself and done some ridiculous trick play(which fails badly) when we could have just run the ball?  I'm not saying that the offense was worse than the defense this year, but often the biggest problem with a bad defense is the offense can't dominate TOP and/or gets behind a TD or two before it starts moving the ball.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Goose15 said:

Or maybe you would prefer to hire back Paul Rudolph? 

So that is our choices?  Two yards and a cloud of dust through the air or on the ground?  Is that what you are saying?  No designed QB runs?, no TE routes?  rare deep throws?  Just swing passes, WR screens and running the ball until we start to dominate on the ground and then mysteriously decide to throw?

4 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

So that is our choices?  Two yards and a cloud of dust through the air or on the ground?  Is that what you are saying?

I am simply saying, Danny is maximizing the QB he has. He isn't perfect, but is far from the problem. Next year when we have a QB who is more confident throwing down the field, let's talk about this 2 yards offense. If you want to can the guy who is the only reason we were a decent team this year, be my guest. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

So that is our choices?  Two yards and a cloud of dust through the air or on the ground?  Is that what you are saying?  No designed QB runs?, no TE routes?  rare deep throws?  Just swing passes, WR screens and running the ball until we start to dominate on the ground and then mysteriously decide to throw?

There have been some head scratchers on offense a few times for sure this year, and as I mentioned earlier in one post Danny's shine has dimmed some and I was flat out pissed at the offense a few times this year. Next year with a bigger arm and more mobile QB in Feeney or Jerry we will see what he can do. If the offense is still run the same way with either of those two under center....a change may be needed.

9 minutes ago, Goose15 said:

I am simply saying, Danny is maximizing the QB he has. He isn't perfect, but is far from the problem. Next year when we have a QB who is more confident throwing down the field, let's talk about this 2 yards offense. If you want to can the guy who is the only reason we were a decent team this year, be my guest. 

If you are correct and either of the other two guys are that much better than Tommy, doesn't that bring up a myriad of other problems?  I have gotten really excited about this program a few times over the last half decade only to have some very poor coaching usually bring my excitement to an abrupt halt.

4 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Ummm No

haha i said....maybe.......i remember watcing the poly game in 2016 and watching keaton hit clives on a play action 100% in stride for the dagger td and thinking "hell yeah rudy"........maybe he didn't have the resources (oline) to effectively do his job?

9 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

If you are correct and either of the other two guys are that much better than Tommy, doesn't that bring up a myriad of other problems?  I have gotten really excited about this program a few times over the last half decade only to have some very poor coaching usually bring my excitement to an abrupt halt.

Like what? The guy who looks to be next in line was redshirted so we don't stunt his development? We see the talent we have recruited since our offense has gotten better take off this year as red shirt freshman? Everyone expects a quick fix but considering what he took over to what he has built, recruits are now starting to take notice. 

1 minute ago, Goose15 said:

Like what? The guy who looks to be next in line was redshirted so we don't stunt his development? We see the talent we have recruited since our offense has gotten better take off this year as red shirt freshman? Everyone expects a quick fix but considering what he took over to what he has built, recruits are now starting to take notice. 

How long has Danny been the OC?

23 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

haha i said....maybe.......i remember watcing the poly game in 2016 and watching keaton hit clives on a play action 100% in stride for the dagger td and thinking "hell yeah rudy"........maybe he didn't have the resources (oline) to effectively do his job?

Rudy certainly would do much better with the current team and he current OL, but I'd still take Danny easily. If we don't open it up more though next year with a different QB my mind might change. 

Also ai think it will be important for both Trey and Feeney to be ready.....so that we aren't afraid to call some QB runs.... because we know we have another guy totally capable of coming in and running the offense. 

The major story line I think all off-season will be who is going to win the starting job....and who we bring in and how much improvement do wee see on the DL and OLB spots. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Rudy certainly would do much better with the current team and he current OL, but I'd still take Danny easily. If we don't open it up more though next year with a different QB my mind might change. 

Also ai think it will be important for both Trey and Feeney to be ready.....so that we aren't afraid to call some QB runs.... because we know we have another guy totally capable of coming in and running the offense. 

The major story line I think all off-season will be who is going to win the starting job....and who we bring in and how much improvement do wee see on the DL and OLB spots. 

u mean jerry feeney and trey kaminski haha?

• Upvote 1