SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 ND High School Hockey

20 hours ago, sioux rube said:

One of the better ninth graders in the state from Valley City is heading to Warroad. Coached her in peewees for 2 years. Could have helped the Jays big time. Her teammate that I coached with her is staying in VC for at least this season and will play on the bantam A team this season. Hopefully she stays and plays for the Jays. She’s a damn good defenseman 

Yup.  I believe there are 4 ND girls headed to Warroad this year...lol.  

On 8/25/2023 at 10:11 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

So what can be done?

Game count limits seem like a big factor.. also seems like the easiest adjustment although even a 4-5 game increase cant compete with a 60 game AAA schedule.... 

More games vs low competition doesn't really do much either.

More games, tiered classes AA/A ... and more chances to get to MN for tournaments?..

Probably nothing I guess.  MN won't wanna play anyone west of Fargo or GF anyway.  Not sure how AA/A would work in ND with so few teams.  

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

They make it work in FB with AAA, AA, A, and 9. 

So AA hockey would be Minot, Bismarck x 3, WF x 2, GF x 2 and Fargo x 3, Mandan x 1 essentially based on attendance.  I don't think that's keeping anyone in the state who wants to leave unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Johnny Five said:

So AA hockey would be Minot, Bismarck x 3, WF x 2, GF x 2 and Fargo x 3, Mandan x 1 essentially based on attendance.  I don't think that's keeping anyone in the state who wants to leave unfortunately.

That would suck for Jamestown 

On 8/28/2023 at 11:25 AM, Johnny Five said:

Shoot for 2 leagues of 12 teams each. 

AA - 12 Team

GFRR. GFC. FNorth. FS/S. FDavies. WF. WFSH. Century. Legacy. BHS. Minot. Mandan.

A - 8 teams to start.

Jamestown. Williston. Dickinson.  Hazen-Beulah. Bottineau. Devils Lake. Grafton. May-Port.  

New teams coming 

Minot North

WF - Horace 

Club teams that could join:

Watford City? Langdon? 

Wahpeton? Crosby?

NDHSAA changes needed.

* Fully allow JR games pre and post season as MN does

*End punishment for returning to school after a year of AAA/Academies/Jrs.

*Allow up to 38 games per school year.

Up to 3 weekends of tournaments/showcases (Up to 4 games each) - 12 Games

Play each team in league 2 times -22 Games

Tournaments 3 (potentially 4 games)

AA Tourney: 7-10 play in to 1st round 

winners go to 1st round... losers of AA play loser relegation game.

1st round at home of higher seed.

Remaining 4 play at State Tourney.

A: Tourney.  7-10 play in.

1st round at higher seed host

2nd round at higher seed host.

Top 2 play at State Tourney for right to advance into AA league if they so chose.

Boom.

But really.... still not going to keep someone here if the WANT to go.

20 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Shoot for 2 leagues of 12 teams each. 

AA - 12 Team

GFRR. GFC. FNorth. FS/S. FDavies. WF. WFSH. Century. Legacy. BHS. Minot. Mandan.

A - 8 teams to start.

Jamestown. Williston. Dickinson.  Hazen-Beulah. Bottineau. Devils Lake. Grafton. May-Port.  

New teams coming 

Minot North

WF - Horace 

Club teams that could join:

Watford City? Langdon? 

Wahpeton? Crosby?

NDHSAA changes needed.

* Fully allow JR games pre and post season as MN does

*End punishment for returning to school after a year of AAA/Academies/Jrs.

*Allow up to 38 games per school year.

Up to 3 weekends of tournaments/showcases (Up to 4 games each) - 12 Games

Play each team in league 2 times -22 Games

Tournaments 3 (potentially 4 games)

AA Tourney: 7-10 play in to 1st round 

winners go to 1st round... losers of AA play loser relegation game.

1st round at home of higher seed.

Remaining 4 play at State Tourney.

A: Tourney.  7-10 play in.

1st round at higher seed host

2nd round at higher seed host.

Top 2 play at State Tourney for right to advance into AA league if they so chose.

Boom.

But really.... still not going to keep someone here if the WANT to go.

A lot of good ideas.  I think the state dropping the penalty for kids coming back could help.  I know of 3 or 4 kids in the past few years that would have come back if they didn't have to play a year on the JV.  

The sit rule never made sense to me at HS level if they're coming back to the HS they left:

OK, you're worried a kid went away, played tougher competition, came back, and will be better in NDHSAA play ... but by that same logic, the kids who stayed will get better by playing tougher competition (the guy who came back). That would raise the level of play in NDHSAA, wouldn't it? 

It would be interesting to see if the "sit rule" would have any significant impact one way or the other.  Getting rid of it would probably make some kids come back, but may also cause more to leave in the first place knowing if things don't work out they could come back.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The sit rule never made sense to me at HS level if they're coming back to the HS they left:

OK, you're worried a kid went away, played tougher competition, came back, and will be better in NDHSAA play ... but by that same logic, the kids who stayed will get better by playing tougher competition (the guy who came back). That would raise the level of play in NDHSAA, wouldn't it? 

Wasn't it the stupid rules that prompted Mike Peluso to quit as Bismarck High head coach?

5 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

It would be interesting to see if the "sit rule" would have any significant impact one way or the other.  Getting rid of it would probably make some kids come back, but may also cause more to leave in the first place knowing if things don't work out they could come back.

I could easily see this happen 

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Wasn't it the stupid rules that prompted Mike Peluso to quit as Bismarck High head coach?

I believe the main reason was the admins were difficult to work with as far as scheduling etc.  But this could've been another reason.  And...uh...perhaps the pipeline a little bit.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

I could easily see this happen 

Not sure it would work here like it does in MN.  The boys across the river comeback to play for a dream shot at the State Hockey Tournament.  One school, another year with the same kids you've laced them up for 10-12 years (or whatever), all hair team, section tournaments with barns filled to the brim....so much of that. 

ND is so much different.  And then you get to the state tournament and it's a snooze fest. 

Although I will say the WDA tournaments the past 2 seasons have had great atmospheres...First in Bismarck and last year in Minot. 

It's an endless spiral.  We have this problem in the Midwest League (Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas (Kansas City)).  The level of play is sneaky good (seriously, it is) and I'd guess the teams would compete with the NoDak HS teams outside of the usual GF powerhouses.  Evidence of that is at the youth levels we come up and play in Fargo, Moorhead, Detroit Lakes, and Fargo regularly, so I've run into many of your programs and have an idea of the level of competition.  Also, understand that programs like Omaha, Des Moines, and Kansas City have 6, 7, 800 plus kids in their programs.  Size matters.

Issue is that every year any player that can leaves and plays Tier 1 Midgets because the Midwest League gets absolutely zero exposure.  Off my oldest boy's bantam team (years ago) 5 players out of 14 on the team left for AAA programs in Omaha, Des Moines, Sioux Falls, Colorado (Roughriders), and Northstar Academy.  That's a lot, and that's just one program, Des Moines, KC, and Omaha were gutted even more.

If the MWL was able to keep all these kids at home and playing HS hockey the competitive level of the league would definitely increase.  I've been an advocate of a before/after team (like your Team North Dakota, and Team Wisconsin) where the boys can stay home and play HS hockey while still getting that Tier 1 exposure.  Seems to work for TW.

You speak of the atmosphere of MN HS hockey, I can guarantee the atmosphere in NoDak, SoDak, MWL, Wisco, Illinois, Michigan, any HS hockey barn is better than the lonely Tier 1 grind where these kids travel all over the country playing in front of family that make the trip, a few locals who happen to be in the barn, and a handful of scouts...maybe.  It's an expensive grind and it ends up being not even worth it for 80% of these players.

Unless you have a NAHL or USHL team offering you a spot I'd recommend just staying home and playing HS hockey.  Problem is that if you aren't getting offered on that level, and you believe you do have talent and you want to develop, the best way to do that and get noticed is to leave for a Tier 1 program because staying at home is not going to get you anywhere, at least in the MWL.  I'm sure it's different if you play for Central or Red River or ND programs that compete on that level.  At least there are some eyeballs on those teams.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

It's an endless spiral.  We have this problem in the Midwest League (Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas (Kansas City)).  The level of play is sneaky good (seriously, it is) and I'd guess the teams would compete with the NoDak HS teams outside of the usual GF powerhouses.  Evidence of that is at the youth levels we come up and play in Fargo, Moorhead, Detroit Lakes, and Fargo regularly, so I've run into many of your programs and have an idea of the level of competition.  Also, understand that programs like Omaha, Des Moines, and Kansas City have 6, 7, 800 plus kids in their programs.  Size matters.

Issue is that every year any player that can leaves and plays Tier 1 Midgets because the Midwest League gets absolutely zero exposure.  Off my oldest boy's bantam team (years ago) 5 players out of 14 on the team left for AAA programs in Omaha, Des Moines, Sioux Falls, Colorado (Roughriders), and Northstar Academy.  That's a lot, and that's just one program, Des Moines, KC, and Omaha were gutted even more.

If the MWL was able to keep all these kids at home and playing HS hockey the competitive level of the league would definitely increase.  I've been an advocate of a before/after team (like your Team North Dakota, and Team Wisconsin) where the boys can stay home and play HS hockey while still getting that Tier 1 exposure.  Seems to work for TW.

You speak of the atmosphere of MN HS hockey, I can guarantee the atmosphere in NoDak, SoDak, MWL, Wisco, Illinois, Michigan, any HS hockey barn is better than the lonely Tier 1 grind where these kids travel all over the country playing in front of family that make the trip, a few locals who happen to be in the barn, and a handful of scouts...maybe.  It's an expensive grind and it ends up being not even worth it for 80% of these players.

Unless you have a NAHL or USHL team offering you a spot I'd recommend just staying home and playing HS hockey.  Problem is that if you aren't getting offered on that level, and you believe you do have talent and you want to develop, the best way to do that and get noticed is to leave for a Tier 1 program because staying at home is not going to get you anywhere, at least in the MWL.  I'm sure it's different if you play for Central or Red River or ND programs that compete on that level.  At least there are some eyeballs on those teams.

I'm sure you wouldn't remember, but I may have briefly struck up a conversation with you at the Red Pepper in Grand Forks 3-4 years ago; whoever it was was in Grand Forks for a youth hockey tournament.

Possible.  When in GF we always hit the Red Pepper. Also, on the list is Slapshot/Fat Albert's.   I always try to wear some Coyote gear too because that strikes up conversations with both UND and NDSU people too.

Loved coming up there for hockey, Fargo/Moorhead, GF/EGF.  It's a good time.  Plan on doing it all over again.

I'm starting all over now with my youngest and have a 1st year Mite.  We ran into some GF teams last year in March at a tournament in Marshall, MN where I got to see them play.  Looked really good.  We plan on going back there this season (and every season after) so maybe we'll see them again.  Marshall puts on a good tournament.

I read this thread and nod my head.  Just know you guys are not alone with what is going on with this sport.  I know guys from Wisco, Michigan, Illinois, etc. and it's happening there too.  Minnesota gets hit hard too but they have such depth in the number of programs and number of players that they can weather it better than the rest of us can.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...