SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 ND High School Hockey

24 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The same Hazen team that lost to Century's JV a few days before just kicked the ever-loving crap out of Bismarck High last night... 

They were up 4 rip not even halfway through the 1st before Hazen took the foot off the gas a little, actually had them in runtime for a while in the 3rd.

Times have changed a bit

Peluso saw this coming for the Demons....

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Peluso saw this coming for the Demons....

These depths could have been avoided though, frankly the team that BHS "could" have had this year would be right there with Century, Mandan, Minot, and Legacy battling for state berths and maybe more.

The lengths people have gone to NOT have their kids participate in the program is alarming, at least it should have been alarming.

The things I've heard from the kids and parents who have moved on and/or away are heartbreaking.

Lots of mistakes, attitudes, and ignorance throughout the situation over the past four or five years and it's manifested in the kids.... many have failed them. 

It's shameful and sad.

4 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The same Hazen team that lost to Century's JV a few days before just kicked the ever-loving crap out of Bismarck High last night... 

They were up 4 rip not even halfway through the 1st before Hazen took the foot off the gas a little, actually had them in runtime for a while in the 3rd.

Times have changed a bit

So why did Century's jv play them but their varsity team?

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

So why did Century's jv play them but their varsity team?

A lot of teams do this against Hazen in the West.  Hasn't bitten any of them yet.  You only get so many games of varsity hockey and they don't want to "waste" a varsity game or two playing against Hazen when you can have your "JV" (Every kid that isn't a senior on the varsity with the JV) get your six points.  At some point I imagine a team will get burned by this, but to my knowledge it hasn't happened yet.  BHS figured they needed their varsity to get their points, but weren't able to get it done with their top kids.  

11 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Because they aren’t very good since Legacy came into the picture  

Legacy has had next to zero impact on players "taken" from BHS.

This is a boogeyman myth spread by a few wack job conspiracy theory parents and Media guys.

It's just absolutely not true.

There are only a few at most, players who would have been playing for BHS since Legacy was formed, and frankly they would not make a negligible difference at the varsity level, sorry thats the truth.

95% of Legacy players came from the prior Century district lines.

BHS is not, was not, and will not be significantly effected by the Legacy program.

Sorry but really tired of this false narrative.

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

(Every kid that isn't a senior on the varsity with the JV) 

No that's not true,

the JV kids play and any new varsity players into the program (in their freshman, sophomore or junior year play the game, but no they do not send any of their JR (or Sr)  players who are returning varsity players to play in the those games.

I do believe It will bite someone in the end eventually, probablyhas in the past somewhere.. almost was Century last week and that was just for 3 points.

It 100% is due to trying to get as many quality varsity non-conf games as possible in the archaic NDHSAA system... same way EDC doesn't have to schedule a May-Port.

BHS tried to 6 point them.... and with their varsity, could not.

Good on Hazen for working hard and competing.

I think sometimes the "Legacy screwed BHS" stuff comes from.....for a long time the old coaching staff was trying to convince administration to CO-OP Legacy kids with BHS kids because the numbers were skewed in CHS favor.  So essentially those guys wanted the same CO-OP that eventually came with the Legacy-Bismarck girls program when that started.  

And at that time...they weren't wrong.  That is until there were 40 hockey players sitting in the hallways of Legacy and had enough to start a team.

I'd love to rip on BHS but I won't do that.  Hats off to the kids and families who stuck it out.  There's been so much crying, whining, quitting and transferring from adults the last 3 years it really did screw the program.  Much respect to those who are playing just to play the game we love, even though it won't be much fun this season.  

Bismarck is growing north, and a lot of hockey families are living north for whatever reason.  I think if people say playing time opportunities in the future as being important, perhaps some people will head south.  There's 700ish kids in the Bismarck Youth program one would think that would be sufficient for 3 HS teams.  

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Legacy has had next to zero impact on players "taken" from BHS.

This is a boogeyman myth spread by a few wack job conspiracy theory parents and Media guys.

It's just absolutely not true.

There are only a few at most, players who would have been playing for BHS since Legacy was formed, and frankly they would not make a negligible difference at the varsity level, sorry thats the truth.

95% of Legacy players came from the prior Century district lines.

BHS is not, was not, and will not be significantly effected by the Legacy program.

Sorry but really tired of this false narrative.

Well that’s all I’ve heard so I guess I stand corrected

On 12/2/2023 at 12:40 AM, Frozen4sioux said:

No that's not true,

the JV kids play and any new varsity players into the program (in their freshman, sophomore or junior year play the game, but no they do not send any of their JR (or Sr)  players who are returning varsity players to play in the those games.

I do believe It will bite someone in the end eventually, probablyhas in the past somewhere.. almost was Century last week and that was just for 3 points.

It 100% is due to trying to get as many quality varsity non-conf games as possible in the archaic NDHSAA system... same way EDC doesn't have to schedule a May-Port.

BHS tried to 6 point them.... and with their varsity, could not.

Good on Hazen for working hard and competing.

I was just using that as an example of non senior varsity kids playing.  Different programs do different things.  At least that's what we did in Minot years ago.

Entertaining game with Legacy and Davies yesterday.  6-5 OT win for Legacy.  Both teams came back from 2 goal deficits at some point in the game.  Fun  hockey game to watch.  Beasley for LHS with his second hat trick of the week.  I think that was the 3rd time in a row those 2 have gone to OT, including double OT at state last year...first time the Sabers picked up the win.

Pretty solid start for Kilgore in GF on the girls side, picked up a 3-0 shutout over Minot yesterday too.  West Fargo took down Mandan 2-0 yesterday, might have to bump WF up a notch, that's a good win.  They'd be an absolute wagon if 4 girls didn't leave town.  

2 hours ago, sioux rube said:

This is correct. Happened here in Jamestown when a kid went to South as his grandparents lived there 

Complete BS.  Just go to school where you and your parents live.  I know I have heard stories of empty apartments being leased for this matter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Five said:

Some sort of "informational meeting" for Minot North hockey going down tonight.  Be interesting to see what that's all about.....hearing 2 years out still but maybe that's changing.

Dilute the west even more when they come on board