SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

16 minutes ago, cberkas said:

If you are reviewing a goal if it went in and say it's a goal. Then go back and review for goalie interference and say it's not a goal. Why not just say that when you first review the goal. Stop wasting time NCHC refs.  

Kind of surprise they reviewed it in the first place to see if it crossed the line. Don’t reviews have to come from challenges?

47 minutes ago, burd said:

Michigan a bubble team now?   With all that talent?

They've been a bubble team all year.  I really hope they fall a couple more spots...the last few bracket predictions have them in UND's bracket.  Don't want that at all.

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

If you are reviewing a goal if it went in and say it's a goal. Then go back and review for goalie interference and say it's not a goal. Why not just say that when you first review the goal. Stop wasting time NCHC refs.  

Because it wasn’t goaltender interference. Rowe was down on his own accord, the puck was in the crease, therefore in play.

9 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Because it wasn’t goaltender interference. Rowe was down on his own accord, the puck was in the crease, therefore in play.

They called it interference since an Omaha player pushed his leg in the net. Same call went against Western Michigan last weekend. 

5 minutes ago, cberkas said:

They called it interference since an Omaha player pushed his leg in the net. Same call went against Western Michigan last weekend. 

Regardless, western played a dominant game. They owned center ice. And can go north in a hurry.

On 2/7/2024 at 11:06 PM, Benny Baker said:

Travesty if true. 

World’s oldest hockey arena, I believe, and original home of the Boston Bruins.

Glad I was able to watch a game at Mathews.  A real treat, unique venue that just oozed history.  

1 hour ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

The Grand Poobah with his slightly changed thoughts on moving the regionals to campus sites.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2024/02/09_Between-the-Lines-NCAA-Regional.php

I’ve met the Grand Poobah, and worship  the ground he walks on.  
With all due respect, ”Adam Wodon, you’re no Grand Poobah.”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It amazes me how SCSU is on the border of getting into the NCAAs yet they played so well against us. Like I know how the pairwise works and how they had rough start to season but still it’s wild to think the second best team in the NCHC may need to win the conference tourney to get in

37 minutes ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

It amazes me how SCSU is on the border of getting into the NCAAs yet they played so well against us. Like I know how the pairwise works and how they had rough start to season but still it’s wild to think the second best team in the NCHC may need to win the conference tourney to get in

Denver is the second best team in the NCHC, current records aside.  

The NCHC is good, but there are stronger conferences this year.  

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

I’ve met the Grand Poobah, and worship  the ground he walks on.  
With all due respect, ”Adam Wodon, you’re no Grand Poobah.”

Honestly Adam, there is no perfect system to selecting and there never will be.  Regardless there will always be an upset school or two in most NCAA tournament selections.  See Florida State not getting into FBS playoffs, NDSU not getting a seed in FCS playoffs this year.  

IMHO he is too entrenched in the "keep it fair" argument.  Well Adam, in the current system there have been countless "not fair" scenarios based on regionals being held in locations a stones throw from certain campuses where higher seeded teams are playing a road game, notably Miami in Providence when Providence was the last team in.

Ticket prices....sigh...  Nothing to do with it Adam....talk to Delta airlines about flight costs and the Best Western about their prices....plus your rental car or Uber everywhere for what could be a one and done.

At least he's come a bit more towards the middle.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Honestly Adam, there is no perfect system to selecting and there never will be.  Regardless there will always be an upset school or two in most NCAA tournament selections.  See Florida State not getting into FBS playoffs, NDSU not getting a seed in FCS playoffs this year.  

IMHO he is too entrenched in the "keep it fair" argument.  Well Adam, in the current system there have been countless "not fair" scenarios based on regionals being held in locations a stones throw from certain campuses where higher seeded teams are playing a road game, notably Miami in Providence when Providence was the last team in.

Ticket prices....sigh...  Nothing to do with it Adam....talk to Delta airlines about flight costs and the Best Western about their prices....plus your rental car or Uber everywhere for what could be a one and done.

At least he's come a bit more towards the middle.

Something nobody had mentioned is that it rewards locals rather than those who can afford to jet set. And the sooner your team is a lock for the top 8, the sooner jet set fans can book flights and hotels, making it more accessible.

It's also yet to be seen if the gap day affects attendance in the current format. It might allow people time to get to a final, but fans of the losing teams in first round won't stick around as much.

51 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Something nobody had mentioned is that it rewards locals rather than those who can afford to jet set. And the sooner your team is a lock for the top 8, the sooner jet set fans can book flights and hotels, making it more accessible.

It's also yet to be seen if the gap day affects attendance in the current format. It might allow people time to get to a final, but fans of the losing teams in first round won't stick around as much.

And absolutely, the gap day sucks.  For fans that is. 

Wodon argues the Pairwise is not a good way to select teams for home ice, so lets keep the status quo regionals.  That's a major error of logic, and any middle-school debater would tear that argument to pieces. 

My preference?

Let's start with Schlossman's round of 16 at 8 rinks, followed by a round of 8 at 4 rinks.  I think this, all by itself, and regardless of how the home teams are awarded, is vastly better than current.

Since everyone can host a home game, the only exclusion I can think of is an arena that doesn't allow broadcasting to the standards of ESPN's contract.  At the team's option, they can select an arena that's not their regular home arena. 

Home ice can be selected by a variety of mechanisms.   I would favor giving the Automatic Qualifiers home ice in round one; and randomly selecting the last two home ice, and all of the visiting team matchups.  (Process should have a sequence of selections to avoid interconference matchups.)  Have the Selection Show be a live and interesting event with some real drama!  Part of my rationale in favor of this random element is to avoid incentives where at-large teams can benefit by losing in conference tournaments.  

Importantly, it becomes harder for any conference to argue against solely on the grounds they never rank high enough to host.  This may increases the votes in favor of the new regionals structure.

Alternatively, award all the Round of 16 home ice by random selection.

Or a third alternative, a weighted random selection where the PWR ranking gives you better odds, but not certainty, of hosting regional games. (Similar to NHL draft lottery.)

For the round of 8, I would prefer the serpentine 1v8, 2v7 etc.

2 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Hockey East for sure, and the B!G has become what was expected 10 years ago.

Actually I'd say that NCHC is still pretty solid, just doesn't consume cupcakes at the rate the Big 10 and Hockey East do.  Pairwise can be gamed schedule wise and HEA benefits from being top eastern league. 

• Like 1