SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 National Championship Game: Quinnipiac vs. Minnesota

Kevin G

12 minutes ago, Dustin said:

What was his attitude?

He comes off as arrogant and condescending. 

He is a great coach and has built a great program but he acts like they have won 3-4 titles in last 10-15 years and they are still looking for #1.

14 minutes ago, petey23 said:

He comes off as arrogant and condescending. 

He is a great coach and has built a great program but he acts like they have won 3-4 titles in last 10-15 years and they are still looking for #1.

Was he specifically critical of UND’s players and/or coaches in 2016?  Is he critical of UND’s program in general?

49 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Was he specifically critical of UND’s players and/or coaches in 2016?  Is he critical of UND’s program in general?

I'm sure some are more well versed on this, but I think he was not pleased to have to play UND in the Fargo regional a few years earlier.  I also think he was complimentary after the title game, saying it's unusual to have guys with the NHL skill the top line had who also played as hard as they did.  

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

To what jk said, at the postgame he made a few comments on the draft picks we had. A little Wine bitter type comments. He had a really good team like this year, but had some players injured and a bit salty about it. He’s a top 3 coach in college hockey, no question.

• Upvote 1

I really don't like Pecknold and the rest of my family is Gopher fans so I'm fine with what I think will happen actually happening and that is Minnesota winning. To me when watching these teams if both teams bring their best I see a 5-2/5-3 Minnesota win. The only worry I would have if I was the Gophers would be I still wouldn't really trust Close. Minnesota has the skill to play the up and down game, size to play along the boards, and one of the best D groups I can remember the only real question is goaltending.

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

What’s our beef with Pecknold?  I must have missed that day.

Glad you asked that question, was wondering the same thing myself.   After reading the answers I still hope Q smokes the goofs tomorrow!

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

What’s our beef with Pecknold?  I must have missed that day.

You know, I remember that he did something back in '16 that got UND fans upset and we've hated him since. I'll be damned if I can remember what it was, exactly. He just got the rep around here of being an arrogant a-hole. Since no one now can remember what it was... it was probably just partisan BS. I'm thinking, didn't he refuse to do an interview with TH, that pissed off a lot of us?

8 minutes ago, Dustin said:

From what I’m reading, there’s nothing that would make me root against Pecknold.  Hope he gets it done this time. 

All in. If no one can even remember why we don't like Peknold... well... we can all remember several reasons why we hate the golden rodents. I'm 100% pulling for Q to have a better result at Amalie Arena this time around. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, N of GF said:

I'm thinking, didn't he refuse to do an interview with TH, that pissed off a lot of us?

I don't recall what the specific thing was that ticked off the UND fanbase about him in 2016.  I know he was playing games saying that Anas wasn't gonna play all week (somewhat expected with an injured star player the week of the big game), and then put him out anyway to get injured multiple times during the title game.  ;) :D 

But yes, regarding your comment about TH.  TH said Pecknold is the only opposing coach he's ever dealt with that refused to do an interview with him.

58 minutes ago, N of GF said:

I'm 100% pulling for Q to have a better result at Amalie Arena this time around. 

Both championship games they’ve played in they got beaten pretty handily (4 goals in each case). Hopefully Peck has learned a few things from those losses and make tomorrow’s game much more interesting. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Well, if the relationship between Pecknold and UND is that bad, why did he and Berry schedule their two series against one another this year and last? Seemingly things aren’t that toxic between the two programs.

No one said UND hated Pecknold. Many of us fans have some vestige memory of hating the guy. Seems like no one can remember a good reason for it, so it was likely just momentary rivalry stuff from '16.

53 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I don't recall what the specific thing was that ticked off the UND fanbase about him in 2016.  I know he was playing games saying that Anas wasn't gonna play all week (somewhat expected with an injured star player the week of the big game), and then put him out anyway to get injured multiple times during the title game.  ;) :D 

But yes, regarding your comment about TH.  TH said Pecknold is the only opposing coach he's ever dealt with that refused to do an interview with him.

Yes, the Anas shoulder that was all important to the ESPN crew. Q had Anas, we had half an NHL team. The game against Denver was the true championship game that season. 

Who was it that blatantly crosschecked the Anas... in the wrong shoulder... after the whistle... I cringed at the time. It's lol now

47 minutes ago, N of GF said:

Who was it that blatantly crosschecked the Anas... in the wrong shoulder... after the whistle... I cringed at the time. It's lol now

Stecher leveled him into the boards at the end of the 1st that gave QU the 5x3 for their lone goal. I don’t remember if someone else got him after the whistle. Ha!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, N of GF said:

No one said UND hated Pecknold. Many of us fans have some vestige memory of hating the guy. Seems like no one can remember a good reason for it, so it was likely just momentary rivalry stuff from '16.

I personally have no issue with the guy either. I think he’s done a phenomenal job during his 29 years there. One of my favorite UND road trips of all time happened last season when I went out to Connecticut for the series against Q. The local fans were super cool and nice and many of them came up to me to chat and were impressed with the number of fans in green who showed up for the series. 

11 hours ago, N of GF said:

I think all fan bases demonize adversaries.   

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

I really don't like Pecknold and the rest of my family is Gopher fans so I'm fine with what I think will happen actually happening and that is Minnesota winning. To me when watching these teams if both teams bring their best I see a 5-2/5-3 Minnesota win. The only worry I would have if I was the Gophers would be I still wouldn't really trust Close. Minnesota has the skill to play the up and down game, size to play along the boards, and one of the best D groups I can remember the only real question is goaltending.

Told our goofer family Close needs to show up + winning face offs has been suspect throughout 

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

He basically thought our team was goony. We were there. His #1 came in & out of the game like 10X cuz he couldn’t score so put on a show that we kept hurting him over & over. Why play the Anus then if he’s hurt! Coach was whiny sour grapes

22 hours ago, FightingSU said:

How did we swap relevancy with the gophers in like 2 seasons. 2-3 seasons ago we were on fire and Gophers were utter trash. And here we are. 

One team recruited a lot of high end talent and the other didn't.