SiouxSports.com Forum

Some Thoughts on UND's FB Program

UND Fan

21 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Ha ! Ha! You two goons. The only thing less productive than anonymously posting on here is anonymously attacking some one on here! But, whatever makes you sleep at night!  My conversations occur here and, of course, well beyond here, but thanks for your concern! With that said, I ain’t changing sh*t by myself. The hockey-only culture runs deep at UND, and it’s a poison to comprehensive athletic department advancement. Slow but sure, it needs to change. 

Ok Mr Anonymous….. please write back on this forum when you actually accomplish something. If Kennedy can’t get the football ticket revenue back from the EF I’m sure you’re complaining won’t get it done either. Hard to find someone on this forum that thinks this arrangement is good for UND athletics outsiders of hockey. It’s too late to argue about it now. 

• Downvote 3

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Great spot for those clamoring for NIL to direct funds to.
For most, this is probably more palatable to make sure funds go to those who have earned it with their play (and in the classroom) versus paying someone who's never put on a jersey at UND. For others, probably won't matter.

Either way, pretty forward thinking achievement for an athletic department that is supposedly lazy and doesn't want to do their jobs.

Sweet, let's start paying players!!  I think it works in a portal scenario that a payment is set aside, player has to meet criteria, player gets paid.  With the delay in payment 6 month CD rates are not that bad.........could even earn a little interest while sitting in the 701 fund!!

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The 701 academic award as per above will not suffice alone. Now, seeing NDSU is again leading within FCS football with this nil club, we need to get UND NIL going ASAP. 

The 701 is a start, and a good message to "old skool" boosters and parents: This isn't willy-nilly throw money at you; there is some (academic) work involved. 

Even B'ville FB fans are skeptical of that "NDSU FB NIL" setup. 

If you're going to do it I'd rather see some gravitas in the organization and organizers, and not some website with "NIL" in the URL. Gravitas, like the hospital or one of the docs from it, or Rydell, or AE2S, or Burian Associates, or such. 

29 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The 701 academic award as per above will not suffice alone. Now, seeing NDSU is again leading within FCS football with this nil club, we need to get UND NIL going ASAP. 

Few things, this is athlete driven. I wouldn't be surprised if UND Football players take note. I do agree with your last statement though. Just looking at NDSU's, which just did start, so we'll see, but there are 111 athletes participating, my guess being an equal share. The amount of $ they'll receive per month will be most likely relatively small. The question I have is would someone actually commit based on getting an extra $100 or $150 a month? Maybe. For me, it's less about the actual $'s they'll receive, it's more that they're receiving something from a collective. It's an easy talker for athletes. 

Edit: Going back and forth on this (if hypothetically UND athletes started one). Do you like the total $ amount displayed? Or would you rather just see that number of contributors? You have to start somewhere, but what if the total ends up at say 10K a month. With the amount of athletes, getting > $100 per month seems so small time. I think you'd be better off not displaying the total. 

From the link:

The proposals introduced into the legislative cycle will be voted on by the council at a future meeting after membership feedback is considered.

If adopted, all FBS schools would be required to provide 90% of the total number of allowable scholarships over a two-year rolling period across at least 16 sports, including football. Schools also would be required to offer at least 210 scholarships each year, amounting to no less than $6 million in athletics scholarships offered.

These requirements would take effect Aug. 1, 2027, for existing FBS members and for schools already transitioning to FBS membership.  Moving forward, for schools applying to transition to FBS beginning in 2024-25 and thereafter, the requirements would have to be met by the end of the two-year transition process.

If these requirements are adopted, previously existing requirements for football attendance at FBS schools would be removed, effective immediately.

If this passes the size of the Alerus Center just became a non-factor. 

18 minutes ago, AJS said:

Few things, this is athlete driven. I wouldn't be surprised if UND Football players take note. I do agree with your last statement though. Just looking at NDSU's, which just did start, so we'll see, but there are 111 athletes participating, my guess being an equal share. The amount of $ they'll receive per month will be most likely relatively small. The question I have is would someone actually commit based on getting an extra $100 or $150 a month? Maybe. For me, it's less about the actual $'s they'll receive, it's more that they're receiving something from a collective. It's an easy talker for athletes. 

Not to mention the platform takes 18% off the top. Say NDSU reaches their monthly goal of $2,200. They lose $400 of that to the site and are now splitting $1800 between 111 guys, for a total of $16.25/month for each player. Now, part of this deal is the players are giving "access" to the fans who are contributing. How long does something like this last where players are putting in extra work for what equates to one fast food meal a month? I think there are much better ways for this to be accomplished.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

From the link:

If this passes the size of the Alerus Center just became a non-factor. 

It also means NDSU will certainly go FBS then. Hopefully UND learned from their previous mistakes (in not following NDDU to D1 initially) and follows suit. 

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It also means NDSU will certainly go FBS then. Hopefully UND learned from their previous mistakes (in not following NDDU to D1 initially) and follows suit. 

Now you're just making stuff up.  Was always a non factor for ndsu.  

12 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

NDSU just got a $5M State bailout to prevent deeper cuts than already happening in NDSU academics.

Turning around and paying a $5M NCAA buy-in would get a pretty good stink-eye from skeptics around the State, especially in the Legislature. Even if it came from donors it'd get a lot of negative feedback about priorities at NDSU and their donor base. 

PS - You still need a bona fide invitation to move up. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

NDSU just got a $5M State bailout to prevent deeper cuts than already happening in NDSU academics.

Turning around and paying a $5M NCAA buy-in would get a pretty good stink-eye from skeptics around the State, especially in the Legislature. Even if it came from donors it'd get a lot of negative feedback about priorities at NDSU and their donor base. 

PS - You still need a bona fide invitation to move up. 

You seem to always forget your university supports your athletic dept to the tune of 10M EVERYYEAR.