SiouxSports.com Forum

Which sports should UND sponsor?

SIOUXFAN97

7 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

I'm sorry I can't take anything seriously that says we should start a bowling team...

why?  we only have one sport with a d1 national title (hockey obvy)....why can't we become a powerhouse bowling school and win some natty's! 130k views on the youtube

13 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

I'm sorry I can't take anything seriously that says we should start a bowling team...

reno 3 or four lanes inside of red ray lanes (obviously the ones right outside the bar)...slap a hawk logo facing washington...we good.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

reno 3 or four lanes inside of red ray lanes (obviously the ones right outside the bar)...slap a hawk logo facing washington...we good.

Even if this doesn't happen, it would make for an amazing comedy on Netflix, say 8 episodes.  Upper midwest school receives substantial donation earmarked to start a bowling program.  Tim Robinson reprises his role as Rick Kenmore, although now he's been hired as the head bowling coach at said university.  Hijinks ensue.  I'll see if I can feed ChatGPT enough of a concept to get an outline of some episodes.    

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Is there anyplace (indoors obvi) on campus / in GF that could be the home court for beach volleyball?

Better choice than Gymnastics if I was the real AD.  Gymnastics would be fun though.

The plan is for a practice facility addition to the North side of the Betty at some point, hopefully soon.

Would make the most sense and it would be connected to the indoor VB facilities.  Guessing the indoor VB coach and indoor VB locker rooms are typically used if possible?

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

ten home games at 10 bucks a ticket times 100 fans per...10k...parking, tailgating, concessions....we got this!

I've driven by soccer and they don't have 100 fans paying $0. I've been to tennis and it had almost as many fans as the soccer games I've driven by.

Fewer coaches as well as only 2. Soccer has 3 and 3 support staff. I'd imagine someone also helps tennis, but no one is listed.

55 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I've driven by women's soccer and they don't have 100 fans paying $0. I've been to tennis and it had almost as many fans as the soccer games I've driven by.

Fewer coaches as well as only 2. Soccer has 3 and 3 support staff. I'd imagine someone also helps tennis, but no one is listed.

Fixed

On 3/27/2023 at 11:50 AM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

that's kinda what i was getting at with this post is i would love to see und with lax and men's soccer

....Bronson Field is there...on campus games...

and women's bowling would be awesome!

Our definitions of the word "awesome" are apparently very different ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Few hundred thousand more in expenses/losses, and probably more, though.
Summit League schools just don't have the resources for investments like that.
Fenton would also get laughed out of the room if he said he was bringing the Summit up to FBS football, because right now, there literally isn't a path.  The WAC/ASun is already backtracking on similar comments that they've made.

I agree that Summit Football (and potentially hockey) may be necessary at some point, but I don't think the Iron is hot enough to strike, especially if the goal is to attract MVC schools.  They just plain are not interested.. they won't even need to take a second to think about it.  Summit Basketball would need to be much closer to the level of the MVC.  As the Summit improves, I think it will get there, as it's likely the MVC regresses a bit at the same time.  St. Thomas also needs time to adjust it's non FB budgets to the D1 level and they need to finish building (and fundraising for) their new arena.  Fenton also needs to get the new media deal put together and he needs time to let his new media strategy develop (whatever it is), in order to make the league more attractive for it's next deal and potential expansion down the road.  I think when the soon to be announced media deal is set to expire is when he will start pushing for FB, if he does go that route, because he will be able to use the leagues track record with their new TV deal and the potential for adding FB to the mix to negotiate the next deal/expansion.

Fenton IS also of a similar mindset as you in regard to adding sports, by the way.  Have you heard this interview?  He basically says as much.  Now just isn't the time yet, especially because so much is up in the air when it comes to the structure of D1 athletics as a whole and the future viability of single sport conferences.

interesting...he was very coy about how the best FB teams in the MVFC are Summit members................................

15 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I've driven by soccer and they don't have 100 fans paying $0. I've been to tennis and it had almost as many fans as the soccer games I've driven by.

Yeah I'm with you. 

12 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Yeah I'm with you. 

it is only the most popular sport in the world and with our aviation department pulling in people from all over the world...we could probably put together a good program like we did with internatinal players with women's hockey.......dawhoops!

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

it is only the most popular sport in the world and with our aviation department pulling in people from all over the world...we could probably put together a good program like we did with internatinal players with women's hockey.......dawhoops!

Speaking of the women's hockey folks -> how pissed would they be if UND added a sport :D 

On 3/26/2023 at 8:14 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I want Fenton to add lacrosse

75 schools that have D1 men's lacrosse and all of them are pretty much out East. You thought women's hockey was expensive, lacrosse at UND would more than likely have a huge cost just on travel alone. 

11 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what's the minimum number?

I think it is 6 teams that have been together at least 2 years.  If one more school were to leave/drop the sport, the Summit could still sponsor men's soccer but the auto-bid would be lost.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

75 schools that have D1 men's lacrosse and all of them are pretty much out East. You thought women's hockey was expensive, lacrosse at UND would more than likely have a huge cost just on travel alone. 

Yeah,  I believe his advocacy is assuming other summit league schools add it as well. But even so, I'm not sold on it. Are these teams aren't gonna wanna come to the Dakotas for non-con games when they can play closer to home against better competition.

Then look at recruiting... pretty slim pickings around here. The Cities might have a few kids? Is LAX difficult to learn?

I haven't sat down and watched it much. 

• Upvote 1

The two nearest schools that play lacrosse are Denver Air Force, Utah, and Marquette and these teams are split between the ASun and Big East. This looks like a sport with tremendous travel costs and Alerus field i believe would be just big enough to fit Lacrosse field on and it may not work. I think it would be great spectator sport especially if you could have it at Alerus and reason i say it would at the Alerus would be because of weather here in the spring they already are playing right now and there's no way we would have field to play on till season was over. I just don't see it happening ever.