SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

This made me chuckle a little bit. Won't argue that a passionate fan base is (mostly) a positive for a program but if you think that that program will go stale if people don't complain on a message board and social media, well, I just disagree.

I can assure you the people in, behind and running the program live and die more with the wins and losses than pretty much everyone else. 

Do they also understand that recruiting has gone off the rails - and are they taking steps to fix this?  This type of roster management is not seen in any other top program - and if it continues we will not be among the top programs.  Schloss is good at getting early scoops on signees - I wish he would ask a few hard questions about our recruiting.  I don't know what is going on behind the scenes but I can't understand why we can't sell our program to top talent.  

• Upvote 2

Johannes was the second highest available scorer at his announcement. And he's big and his PIMs say mean. Again, he's a one-year backfill rental.

Judd's rights being traded (PIT -> ANA) and then signed after he said he's returning probably caught them off guard. This is amazingly good under that scenario. 

• Like 1

Just now, siouxfaninseattle said:
  • This is not a good pick up, not a bad pick up, it's a desperation pick up.

UND is like the hot girl everyone's talked about for 15 years, played hard to get despite having her pick of town, only for everyone to find out she's super crazy and so they all moved on to bigger and better things.  Now she put in 50 pounds, uses her Instagram filter for all her Facebook posts trying to relive the glory days of being hot, and married the town's leftover bachelor...but hey, it was the best she could get so it was a great match!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Irish said:

Do they also understand that recruiting has gone off the rails - and are they taking steps to fix this?  This type of roster management is not seen in any other top program - and if it continues we will not be among the top programs.  Schloss is good at getting early scoops on signees - I wish he would ask a few hard questions about our recruiting.  I don't know what is going on behind the scenes but I can't understand why we can't sell our program to top talent.  

Bubs is an awesome guy. The portal is new…I think everyone got a bit greedy last year when they hit the portal so hard. I’ve criticized the roster (mis) mgmt plenty but in no way do I want a new coach. I honestly believe the coaching staff thought they would make a run last year. Tons of players had off years, underclassmen got buried (which I still question), and the dzone/goaltending was just plain odd. But Bubs shouldn’t go anywhere…he needs to get back to our roots and start recruiting hard and developing hockey players. The free agency approach does not work. Build from within. I think he starts that now moving forward. Last years approach clearly backfired and it will most likely cost us next year too.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Big A HG said:

UND is like the hot girl everyone's talked about for 15 years, played hard to get despite having her pick of town, only for everyone to find out she's super crazy and so they all moved on to bigger and better things.  Now she put in 50 pounds, uses her Instagram filter for all her Facebook posts trying to relive the glory days of being hot, and married the town's leftover bachelor...but hey, it was the best she could get so it was a great match!

Again, how many teams will be better over the next 20 years?  Based on the doom and gloom I assume UND will be lucky to be in the top half?

3 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Again, how many teams will be better over the next 20 years?  Based on the doom and gloom I assume UND will be lucky to be in the top half?

Top half?
That would be optimistic from reading some of the posts on here.  ;) 

2 hours ago, Big A HG said:

When we're excited about this acquisition as fans of the University of North Dakota hockey program, that tells you all you need to know about the state of our program right now.

I agree with you and share your concerns about the program. But you can find good players in the portal. Some of whom may have slipped through the cracks when they were being recruited the first time.

1 minute ago, Walsh Hall said:

20 years is such an arbitrary number and is completely pointless.  I can't even process your question because there is nothing remotely thought-provoking about it.  UND could have three new coaches and a new conference by then for all we know.  Elite college programs are about "what have you done for me lately" and "what does our near-term future look like". That's it.  Kids coming in now are only there for four years max (five with a redshirt), so you're asking about the state of a program over the course five complete roster turnovers.

Brad's playoff success is no longer recent and based on how he's handled roster turnover, he hasn't managed his team well.  Throw in other things like lack of identity in our playing style lately, poor recruiting by UND standards, kids leaving, culture problems in the locker room this year, and the whole Nodak trademark fiasco that conveniently was swept under the rug, and there's a lot of issues with the program.  Fans are turning out less and less since conference titles are not exciting when everyone else starts ramping their playing level up in late winter and spring.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Johannes was the second highest available scorer at his announcement. And he's big and his PIMs say mean. Again, he's a one-year backfill rental.

Judd's rights being traded (PIT -> ANA) and then signed after he said he's returning probably caught them off guard. This is amazingly good under that scenario. 

Don't let your sensible facts get in the way of the negative narrative taking place in this forum.  Don't let the sky that's falling hit you in the head either.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree with you and share your concerns about the program. But you can find good players in the portal. Some of whom may have slipped through the cracks when they were being recruited the first time.

I know 56 pages is a lot to go through, so not going to fault you for not seeing me reference that before, but I am on the side of picking up the kids in the portal.  What I'm not on the side of is using it as an act of desperation to fill out a roster when we're NORTH DAKOTA.  We should have our own pipeline of talented recruits and use the portal to fill an unexpected gap or to pick up a kid who was a diamond in the rough who wants to play for a winner.  A kid who did nothing in the USHL, very little after in the NAHL after getting demoted there, nothing at AIC, and then has one decent season at Lindenwood, is not the type of player we should be acquiring.  In this case, we have to do it out of necessity, but that necessity is why this whole thing is a problem.  We shouldn't be in a position to have to make this Lindenwood kid a necessity.

Does anyone else find it frustrating that there are only TWO freshman forwards they feel are ready to come in? Why is that an issue? Because it looks like they are going to add 3 from the portal. Also sounds like they will end up going 4 Freshman / 4 Portal on defense. 1 Freshman / 1 Portal in Goal. I really like the pipeline they have, but clearly they don't have enough. The University spends more money on their program than any other school in the country. They should not have to rely on the portal like this. Here's to hoping this off-season is just one giant reset from last year's disaster.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Kevin G said:

Where are the d-men needed to fill out the roster?

Patience, patience.

Waiting for the top scoring defenseman from UW-Stout to hit the portal....if he's top scoring at a s*** school, the sensible facts are that he's still amazing!

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I thought this kid was much stronger on his skates than Juddy.  He's a great pick up.

3 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

We should have our own pipeline of talented recruits and use the portal to fill an unexpected gap or to pick up a kid who was a diamond in the rough who wants to play for a winner. 

I think the vast majority of us agree with this assessment. I imagine Coach Berry agrees too. The question is, Why are we in the place of needing the portal so badly?

4 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

A kid who did nothing in the USHL, very little after in the NAHL after getting demoted there, nothing at AIC, and then has one decent season at Lindenwood, is not the type of player we should be acquiring. 

Sure am glad you didn't get a vote on recruiting Tucker Poolman <- the late-bloomer's late bloomer. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Where are the d-men needed to fill out the roster?

Patience, patience.

That should be the conversation, not Johannes the rental to replace Judd.

So do it along with me ... because I have to the longer we don't hear about D ... 

In through the nose, out through the mouth, breathe in, exhale, serenity now, serenity now, ... in, exhale out, ... 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

Does anyone else find it frustrating that there are only TWO freshman forwards they feel are ready to come in? Why is that an issue? Because it looks like they are going to add 3 from the portal. Also sounds like they will end up going 4 Freshman / 4 Portal on defense. 1 Freshman / 1 Portal in Goal. I really like the pipeline they have, but clearly they don't have enough. The University spends more money on their program than any other school in the country. They should not have to rely on the portal like this.  

Either we are recruiting the wrong kids (some of whom were well regarded when they committed), or they are not developing at the right pace. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Sure am glad you didn't get a vote on recruiting Tucker Poolman <- the late-bloomer's late bloomer. 

Tucker Poolman was a fifth round pick, drafted while still in the USHL.  He was a late bloomer in the sense that he became a regular in the NHL versus a kid that was more likely to end up on a two-way AHL deal.  I'd take a kid like Tucker 100/100 unless we had a roster full of kids who projected higher than he did already.  Fifth year seniors from Lindenwood and Alaska do not equal Tucker Poolman.  Oh, and Hak was still head coach when Poolman was recruited...ya know, the age where we could bring in elite levels of talent nearly every year, not just one or two good pieces some years.

3 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

I think the vast majority of us agree with this assessment. I imagine Coach Berry agrees too. The question is, Why are we in the place of needing the portal so badly?

Exactly - third year in a row for a portal goalie doesn't exactly scream top recruiting.  Also player development (or lack of same) - how many players this year had no improvement or actually went backwards in the off season?  The clock is ticking for change - high end talent is flocking to Denver, Minny, and Michigan like trained pigs and here we are.  

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, AJS said:

Does anyone else find it frustrating that there are only TWO freshman forwards they feel are ready to come in? Why is that an issue? Because it looks like they are going to add 3 from the portal. Also sounds like they will end up going 4 Freshman / 4 Portal on defense. 1 Freshman / 1 Portal in Goal. I really like the pipeline they have, but clearly they don't have enough. The University spends more money on their program than any other school in the country. They should not have to rely on the portal like this. Here's to hoping this off-season is just one giant reset from last year's disaster.

We have four Fs that'll be 19+ on Oct 1: Croal, Emerson, Panzer, Singleton. Two aren't ready, one's an enigma, the remaining is inbound. 

Of the other five pipeline Fs, Perron is ahead of schedule; the rest are on schedule. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

We have four Fs that'll be 19+ on Oct 1: Croal, Emerson, Panzer, Singleton. Two aren't ready, one's an enigma, the remaining is inbound. 

Of the other five pipeline Fs, Perron is ahead of schedule; the rest are on schedule. 

You seem to be missing the point. Like UND having 0 Freshman defenseman that were ready to come last year. Recruit more players. 

• Upvote 1