SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

28 minutes ago, brianvf said:

?

Other coaches are experiencing the same thing, so I doubt they’re thinking twice. 

Losing drafted players to the pros is one thing, losing them to the portal is another. My guess is the coaches at BU, minnie, QU and MI are not experiencing the same thing. They will lose players early to the pros, and reload. We are losing players early but are rebuilding. I hope the D that come in next season mature quick.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Losing drafted players to the pros is one thing, losing them to the portal is another. My guess is the coaches at BU, minnie, QU and MI are not experiencing the same thing. They will lose players early to the pros, and reload. We are losing players early but are rebuilding. I hope the D that come in next season mature quick.

All we need now is for the list of the decommits to start rolling in.  Maybe they should look at replacing KG. 

4 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

We'll see what transpires at those four schools once the season ends, but I'd bet that all four will lose players to the portal this season.  Combined with UM and UMN losing a crapload to the pros as well.

Many other college hockey teams that frequent the NCAA tourney are losing quite a few to the portal this offseason as well.
UMass has lost 8 players to the portal.  Northeastern has lost 9 players.  BC has lost 7 players.  Etc.

• Upvote 2

My question is with a totally revamped D core does BB continue to BB and roll out 13 27 28 like he did 10 27 19 most of this past season to go for the 0-0 shootout win or protect the 0-1 deficit? 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Here's my thought(not that anyone cares): This is alarming because it's unprecedented but the moves make sense.  Our defense was one of the worst in the country last year, the =/- stats looked like the first page of a leaderboard at The Masters. I'm ok with all of these transfers IF Berry has a plan and has secured commitments from guys transferring in.  If we're being honest with ourselves Moore was a GD liability on the back end all season, he turned the puck over so much I thought he played for the other team half the time. 

The offense is only going to be better with one more year of a stronger, faster Gaber, Blake, James(who made a huge step last season), Strinden, the list goes on.  Add in a top 6 forward transfer, Perron(who by all accounts sounds like Blake 2.0) & Emerson and we should have zero problems scoring goals.  Grab some d that can take care of the puck and eat up minutes and a goalie that can maintain a very low bar of .910+ save % and we will be an NCAA team fighting for a Penrose. 

Just one optimistic fan's opinion.

I care about your opinion :).

When I first heard of Moore's transfer, my immediate concern flipped to the idea of getting a netminder. My thought would it would be a tough sell to a guy like Persson with one year left to show pro scouts his resume that he'll need to do it behind NO returning defensemen. That would mean we'd need a portal D or two first, almost, before locking down a tendy. I was then reminded by a friend that our top two targets (Persson as a confirmed target and Haider as a presumed one) both have two years left with the COVID year.

Considering that, I'm a little bit less nervous about Moore. Not much. But a little. And a look to the future, after this season, we get Boisvert and McInnis in. Our defense, with a good season of development, goes from a massive negative to a potential elite group. 

Here's to hoping. 

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

My question is with a totally revamped D core does BB continue to BB and roll out 13 27 28 like he did 10 27 19 most of this past season to go for the 0-0 shootout win or protect the 0-1 deficit? 

As long as there are fireworks after the shootout “wins,” the atmosphere at REA will be just fine. 

5 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

As long as there are fireworks after the shootout “wins,” the atmosphere at REA will be just fine. 

I'll bet you hate ice cream cones and county fairs too. 

And kittens too, now that I think of it.  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Goon said:

Why his power play was tops in the nation. 

And our goalie play among the worst - and portal goalie for the third year.  That being said, it's hard to tell what is going on internally.  I'm hoping that what we're seeing is Berry and Co. realizing there was a problem and trying to correct it.  We'll know more when we see our portal pick ups.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, burd said:

I'll bet you hate ice cream cones and county fairs too. 

And kittens too, now that I think of it.  

He's lactose intolerant. No ice cream.  No cheese curds.

1 hour ago, Username Taken said:

What if he wasn’t guaranteed any of that so he decided to look for those opportunities elsewhere? Pure speculation on my part, but what if something like that was the case. Very interested to hear what the story is. 

We have how many incoming freshman on D? If he thinks they will out play him in practice for a spot in the lineup that's crazy. 

How this works out will depend on who's on the roster next fall, which we should have an idea of soon. 

It is reminiscent of 2001-2, which saw only three freshmen defensemen, but they were leaned on pretty heavily.  Schneider, Fuher, and Jones would be part of a core group that would contend for titles.  But not that year - it was a struggle.  Comparing that year to this, obviously there will be more new faces on defense now.  But another difference is the forwards that year were also young and just getting going, while this year's seem ready to go.