SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

Moore was the only surprising one for me and that may be a single isolated decision. If the culture was that bad I don’t think we’d see a guy like Gaber come back for more especially since he said he was 50/50. 

Either way, I hope for the sake of the program Bubs is in the hottest of hot seats next season. I don’t want him gone yet but I don’t like the direction this is headed either. 

• Upvote 2

Given their draft status, I have to think 6 and 4 are thinking of the possibility of a future pro career.

The fact they believe starting over is best on a new team, new coaches, competing with incoming recruits and returning players VS staying at a program with our pedigree/facilities where prime minutes are ripe for the taking and they've "paid their dues" for 2 seasons...is concerning.

We don't know anything and maybe there's other issues of course, but any way you slice it, it's not good.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm holding back to see what they're working on to replace the losses.

And I'm starting to wonder if notice was given that some systems are changing on the back end and guys could see they won't fit. 

I would doubt system changes, I would lean more towards with 5 Freshman next year, having an offensively dynamic, but defensive liability at times would be not ideal. Bringing in 3 two-way guys would seem to mesh better with inexperience. That makes sense to me. 

14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

#culture

WTF is happening.....

I'll say this again....... when roster moves were made last year BEFORE returning players were sat down and talked to the coaches  end a big WTF went thru the locker room. And from what I heard last summer letting Ferner walk with eligibility, was a big blow to the locker room and the young dmen. Had many guys questioning what was going on. He was very well respected by all. NHL caliber player, no way, but all teams need "that guy".  Calder getting strung along after season didn't sit well either with most.    Is there a trust issue with the HC and his staff? KG is a part of the daily d-core/goaltending coaching development, something is not right..... Does Berry solely control the roster decisions? I honestly am very curious as to WTF is happening as well...... this is not good.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Based on watching the defense this past season I can’t get too concerned about any of them going to the portal. The defense for the most part was brutal. The big question for me is the problem talent or coaching? Or both?

What is concerning to me is that the coaches either have a recruiting problem or cannot develop the recruits. This next season will be very interesting. 

Nailed it

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Based on watching the defense this past season I can’t get too concerned about any of them going to the portal. The defense for the most part was brutal. The big question for me is the problem talent or coaching? Or both?

What is concerning to me is that the coaches either have a recruiting problem or cannot develop the recruits. This next season will be very interesting. 

My thoughts too. None of Bast, Johnson, or Moore were good last year - so not like losing them is the end of the world.

However, the lack of development and either the lack of belief the staff had in them returning and improving, or the players lack of belief being a part of this program is in their best interest - that's alarming.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

“OUR DEFENSE WAS TERRIBLE ALL SEASON!”

[same posters a week later]

”WTF IS GOING ON?  ALL OF OUR DEFENSEMEN ARE LEAVING!”

If some of the posters on here were the head coach, the entire d-corps would have been told to leave by mid-season.  ;) :D  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

I'm strangely exhilarated right now. 

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

@Kevin G and me over here buying all the stock in next year's team. 

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Least BB will have a bunch of newbies to sell all the leftover NODAK swag to.

I am excited. I have no idea if it will all work out, but the coaching decisions over the past year didn't lead to success. This is different. And so, sure, I think I'll take a green NODAK jersey, preferably with "Strinden" or "James" on the back.

I've never seen anything like this - we now have 11 returning players that have been in more than 1 game with UND, and all of them are forwards.  That means UND will have more new players than returning players.  Never heard of such a thing.  That doesn't exactly lend itself to "culture" (or chemistry).

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Kevin G said:

I am excited. I have no idea if it will all work out, but the coaching decisions over the past year didn't lead to success. This is different. And so, sure, I think I'll take a green NODAK jersey, preferably with "Strinden" or "James" on the back.

Get a good year's wear out of it

1 minute ago, Oldguy said:

I've never seen anything like this - we now have 11 returning players that have been in more than 1 game with UND, and all of them are forwards.  That means UND will have more new players than returning players.  Never heard of such a thing.  That doesn't exactly lend itself to "culture" (or chemistry).

Wasn't there a year back in the early 2000's...I forget which season it was...where we had a few players graduate and then like 7-8 turn pro as well?  So we had like 12-14 (or something like that) new players that next fall?  I seem to recall that happening.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Wasn't there a year back in the early 2000's...I forget which season it was...where we had a few players graduate and then like 7-8 turn pro as well?  So we had like 12-14 (or something like that) new players that next fall?  I seem to recall that happening.

Also the 2015-16 team had eleven freshmen (and six sophomores).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1