SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

27 minutes ago, AJS said:

Love this. 

So far so good for UND next season. This is why I'm closely watching what happens with Albrecht / Portal Forward. If both happen, there's becoming a pattern that I really do think is damaging for the program long term. 

As I post this, Portz hits the portal. This is going to sound harsh, but I love this move. Kudos to Berry.

I’m more of a fan with developing our own players…but given the current environment we’re in we kind of need that Berg kid. Plus portz, albrecht, Ness, Montgomery etc…interchangeable 3rd/4th liners. Kids like Kunz, strinden, etc have to play and figure it out. Dividends will be paid during their upperclassmen years.

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

One of those F didn’t play a minute. 
My guess is they will be back to the 15F formula again. 

I keep reiterating this but I think with 5 in the group we will need to be at 16 forwards due to his uncertain health. If you roll with 15 to start the year with one already iffy, a couple injuries (like we have seen many times in the past) and your depth is gone and you're suiting up every warm body you have to fill out a lineup. Not ideal! 

1 minute ago, I Ranger said:

I keep reiterating this but I think with 5 in the group we will need to be at 16 forwards due to his uncertain health. If you roll with 15 to start the year with one already iffy, a couple injuries (like we have seen many times in the past) and your depth is gone and you're suiting up every warm body you have to fill out a lineup. Not ideal! 

This is the reason I'd look hard at running 15F but 9D this year. Options. 
If you get short Fs at some point you roll out the fantasy of some: Cooper Moore, left wing. 

2 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

I would take that over talent sitting in the stands. 15F 8D 3G. We'll see. I do think they go back to 15F this upcoming year though. 

1 minute ago, AJS said:

I know Berg seems to be the most likely scenario, but really hope they are looking at Larson (NMU) or Campbell (Clarkson) as well. 

If it is Berg, I wonder if they're figuring out how to make him from "West Fargo" again so he's an in-stater when tuition billing comes around to the team accounts. 

That matters. 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

This is the reason I'd look hard at running 15F but 9D this year. Options. 
If you get short Fs at some point you roll out the fantasy of some: Cooper Moore, left wing. 

I'm surprised with your 9D take. As someone who mentioned not wanting a safety blanket on defense, adding an extra defenseman would be much more of a safety blanket than getting the two Top LH guys you can out of the portal. 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

I've earlier supposed RH D Mason Klee as a 9th D.
He'd be a true "worst case" guy. He'd likely see no ice but it would be goodwill toward his brother (the recruit David). 

My ideal lineup the 8D would be the "worst case" guy. If this year is any indication, a guy like Strathmann could very well be watching while Klee plays. I really don't see any value of bringing in an extra guy above the norm. Recruit talent, play talent, develop talent. 

9 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'm surprised with your 9D take. As someone who mentioned not wanting a safety blanket on defense, adding an extra defenseman would be much more of a safety blanket than getting the two Top LH guys you can out of the portal. 

In my perfect world:
I get the top two RH D from the portal. 
Then it's one and one, L/R. 
Then it's what can I get ... and do I need a 9th in case. 

In case meaning the 15th forward hasn't played in over 12 months. 

Now I'll really throw you off: If it's a choice between 9D or 4G ... what are my options for Ds and Gs? It becomes a "who" conversation. 

Giving it a little more thought, it sort of is Berg or bust in the portal at Forward. I know Berg was the 2nd Line center at Omaha. Would he be an improvement over 8 or 27 next year? If he would, then that would completely change the dynamic up front. You would have 22 / Berg in a more traditional (talent wise) top two lines centers. Open competition between 8, 21, 27 for 3rd / 4th line Centers. Whoever is the odd man out moves to wing on the 3rd or 4th line. I know everyone is pretty high on the forward group next year, but this could take it to the next level. 

41 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I’m more of a fan with developing our own players…but given the current environment we’re in we kind of need that Berg kid. Plus portz, albrecht, Ness, Montgomery etc…interchangeable 3rd/4th liners. Kids like Kunz, strinden, etc have to play and figure it out. Dividends will be paid during their upperclassmen years.

Portz probably worked out best because he still had a few years left, as would Berg.  Since they need to get their class sizes back in a little better order, don't know how Larson could fit in without pushing someone in the pipeline down the road further.  

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

Giving it a little more thought, it sort of is Berg or bust in the portal at Forward. I know Berg was the 2nd Line center at Omaha. Would [Berg] be an improvement over 8 or 27 next year? If he would, then that would completely change the dynamic up front. You would have 22 / Berg in a more traditional (talent wise) top two lines centers. Open competition between 8, 21, 27 for 3rd / 4th line Centers. Whoever is the odd man out moves to wing on the 3rd or 4th line. I know everyone is pretty high on the forward group next year, but this could take it to the next level. 

Last season:

• Schmaltz had 0.35 pts/game; 56.1% FO
  • Jamernik had 0.36 pts/game; 52.2% FO
  • Berg had 0.65 pts/game; 52.8% FO
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, AJS said:

Giving it a little more thought, it sort of is Berg or bust in the portal at Forward. I know Berg was the 2nd Line center at Omaha. Would he be an improvement over 8 or 27 next year? If he would, then that would completely change the dynamic up front. You would have 22 / Berg in a more traditional (talent wise) top two lines centers. Open competition between 8, 21, 27 for 3rd / 4th line Centers. Whoever is the odd man out moves to wing on the 3rd or 4th line. I know everyone is pretty high on the forward group next year, but this could take it to the next level. 

I think UND needs to develop three scoring lines. Adding Berg would facilitate that. Plus, I think we're seeing a change in mindset, where playing on the third line isn't a demotion; it's just another scoring line.

• Like 1

Not sure we need to recruit for the 14/15 forward anymore. You can get those guys in the portal. Gives the staff more flexibility to grab a must have in the portal or if they nail it on the recruiting trail, they can bring in a big class of "blues".

If we're serious about leaving the top 6 / bottom 6 mindset for a more modern 9 / 3 configuration, yes, Berg would need be a high priority. 

Your scoring centers would be 8, Berg, 22 then 27.
Yes, LouieJam would become a shutdown center again, as he was best suited at that. 

Now you need to set wings on three lines: Perron, Emerson, Blake, Gaber, James, a "big" (21, 28 or 29). 

Then you mesh around 27. Probably the others of 21/28/29. That leaves 11, 13, and 5. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

I think I'd rather keep Portz over Albrecht (if it's one or the other). And I like Albrecht.

11 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

Portz is in the Portal…. Excuse me if this is already posted 

I should have said, "I think I'd have rather kept Portz over Albrecht...." 

7 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I really wonder what 5 brings to the table?

My supposition: 
- 15th F 
- local kid (cheap)

Remember: He was a late (August?) add when Weatherby flaked on us the week before fall classes in 2021. 

9 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I really wonder what 5 brings to the table?

There's a real value in having 1F 1D 1G who is for the lack of a better word ok being the "emergency player" or for 5, the 15th F. That's extremely valuable.