SiouxSports.com Forum

HAWKS VS red cows (FRIDAY)

iluvdebbies

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

The problem is those two need a lock down center like Jammer to play with them.  They don't have that and they are a 4th line IMHO. 

In that role--as a shutdown 4th line--Senden, Hain, and Jammer would be terrific, IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, iluvdebbies said:

If they play against the other teams top line, they will be playing more than 4th line minutes 

You're right. I guess I meant that in a more limited role, that line could be an effective line. 

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

I struggle with Moore because last year he was a pleasant surprise, and with a large turnover on defense next year, we could use him to regain his form, unless of course this year is his true form.  Personally I think the whole team needs a reset in the off-season and it starts with the work ethic over the summer. Sometimes Moore has just looked apathetic on the ice, oblivious to any consequence of his lack of judgement, and that includes bad penalties.

Agreed on the reset.. Remember last fall? Judd won the Ironman? Reflect on that! I would be more optimistic if we cleaned house and went back to developing young talent. Total rebuild, we have a crappy front half of the season next year- so be it. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

Agreed on the reset.. Remember last fall? Judd won the Ironman? Reflect on that! I would be more optimistic if we cleaned house and went back to developing young talent. Total rebuild, we have a crappy front half of the season next year- so be it. 

This. IMO, we have to be willing to take some lumps as we develop talent. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

Guess I don’t see a total rebuild as necessary.  St. Cloud was disappointing last year, but they brought in Anhorn and Basse and kept around some veterans and although they have fallen off since Anhorn’s injury they are top ten pairwise.

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

Guess I don’t see a total rebuild as necessary.  St. Cloud was disappointing last year, but they brought in Anhorn and Basse and kept around some veterans and although they have fallen off since Anhorn’s injury they are top ten pairwise.

Goaltending and defense might take some time to round into shape, but UND should have a terrific group of forwards to build around.

45 minutes ago, tnt said:

We need to move on from the five and six year players and get our incoming recruits to campus. Time to start developing our own talent again.

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

We need to move on from the five and six year players and get our incoming recruits to campus. Time to start developing our own talent again.

I agree for the most part. 
If anyone comes back, I think it needs to be only for impact players.
For example...getting Frisch back would be an enormous plus for our backend next season.  And, I think we're a better team next season if Caulfield returns too.

Rather than pickup two portal goalies, I'd like to see Hedquist come to campus and one portal goalie...have those two rotate until one moves into the #1 spot.

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/dylan-james-shows-nhl-elite-speed-in-two-goal-game-against-omaha

"I felt fast today," James said. "Hopefully that will stay the same tomorrow. More confidence at the end of the season. You're playing to win. We just need to keep climbing the ranks here."

James has been at his best in recent games.

He generated three Grade-A scoring chances against Colorado College last Saturday, but was unable to finish on them.

"He's playing with confidence," UND coach Brad Berry said. "We all know he has NHL elite speed, right? At the end of the day, as a freshman coming in here, sometimes, it's a little overwhelming just getting acclimated to the game, knowing how much time you have when you have the puck on your tape. Sometimes, the game overwhelms a young guy a little bit, because it's so tight-checking in our league.

"But now he knows when to chip a puck. He knows when to hang onto a puck. Man, he's a threat off the rush going around defenders. Now he's starting to play with confidence."

• Jackson Blake has a shot to win the NCHC's scoring title. He enters the final night of the regular season with 29 conference points. He's tied with St. Cloud State's Jami Krannila, one point behind Denver's Massimo Rizzo.
  • For the second-straight game, UND's faceoff numbers turned around big-time at the end of the game. At one point, Omaha led in draws 20-10. But UND finished the game going 25-12 in the dot over the final 34 minutes.
  • UND heavily relied upon its top four defensemen. Tyler Kleven, Chris Jandric, Ethan Frisch and Ryan Sidorski were all over 22 minutes. Farmer was at 13:23. Cooper Moore was at 13:14.

49 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The last time we had an off season, we did a combination, getting Westin Michaud and then bringing in Pinto. If we go totally young, you would be the first calling for change when the growing pains last longer than envisioned.  Remember the growing pains Minnesota had with their young defensive group when we put one on them years ago at Thanksgiving. 

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

The last time we had an off season, we did a combination, getting Westin Michaud and then bringing in Pinto. If we go totally young, you would be the first calling for change when the growing pains last longer than envisioned.  Remember the growing pains Minnesota had with their young defensive group when we put one on them years ago at Thanksgiving. 

No, I would not be the first to be calling for changes. A young team struggling is normal, a team with a bunch of veteran players struggling is a lot harder to accept.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

No, I would not be the first to be calling for changes. A young team struggling is normal, a team with a bunch of veteran players struggling is a lot harder to accept.

If you don’t use the portal some, like Denver has, you are going to have holes in your lineup from year to year, and you won’t be making the tourney every year, which you have stated time and again should be the expectation.  Portals don’t always work out, but then again freshmen sometime take two years or so to make an impact.  Would rather fill a hole here and there with someone who has already made an impact at the college level.

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

If you don’t use the portal some, like Denver has, you are going to have holes in your lineup from year to year, and you won’t be making the tourney every year, which you have stated time and again should be the expectation.  Portals don’t always work out, but then again freshmen sometime take two years or so to make an impact.  Would rather fill a hole here and there with someone who has already made an impact at the college level.

A successful program can do both things: develop freshman talent and use the portal (not often but strategically).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, tnt said:

The portal is still relatively new. Most players transferring had to sit out a year before the covid thing happened. 

Just now, Blackheart said:

We’re we trying to convince him to play another year of juniors?

No, not according to the best info I've found. The coaches fully expected him to arrive on campus in the summer/fall of 2021. Even had equipment with his name on it.

1 minute ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Rizzo or Spicer? Rizzo was already on the incoming freshman list and had hockey gear with his name and number. He was all set to come to campus. 

Why did he break up with us?;)