SiouxSports.com Forum

HAWKS VS red cows (FRIDAY)

iluvdebbies

8 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

A successful program can do both things: develop freshman talent and use the portal (not often but strategically).

Right, that’s why I said a combination.  I liken the transfer portal to the trade deadline in the NHL, you have the core of your team, but fill in the gaps and add to your depth.  If you aren’t using the trade deadline, you are most likely not going to be a contender.  The trade deadline also shows how important guys that play important roles and are hard to play against are. That is the type of guy Tampa Bay has brought in for their Stanley Cup runs.  Give me a guy like Sidorski anytime.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tnt said:

Right, that’s why I said a combination.  I liken the transfer portal to the trade deadline in the NHL, you have the core of your team, but fill in the gaps and add to your depth.  If you aren’t using the trade deadline, you are most likely not going to be a contender.  The trade deadline also shows how important guys that play important roles and are hard to play against are. That is the type of guy Tampa Bay has brought in for their Stanley Cup runs.  Give me a guy like Sidorski anytime.

Agreed.  Most of the top teams will be using a combo of recruits + portal moving forward, IMO.
We've had good luck with the portal too...guys like Sidorski, Jandric, Driscoll, Michaud, Jones, etc all ended up being great players for us.

13 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Agreed.  Most of the top teams will be using a combo of recruits + portal moving forward, IMO.
We've had good luck with the portal too...guys like Sidorski, Jandric, Driscoll, Michaud, Jones, etc all ended up being great players for us.

Guarantee Quinnipiac wouldn’t be where they are without the portal.  Guys like Connor Ford are always in short supply, so take advantage as long as the guy fits in with the way you want to play and is good in the team setting.  Calder seemed off to me in that regard, but then again I have no insight to that except from the periphery. 

Bottom line is that we need to upgrade our talent.  Goalie, defense, passing, 5 on 5 scoring are all sub-par.  We need to become a place again where top talent wants to come to hone their skills into NHL ready players.  We seem to have lost that.  We seem to fall down on the development part - have you ever seen a team regress so far as this one?  Coaches need to do a serious post-mortem on this season.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I don't think the carry over fifty yearers played into the Rizzo miss...   so what players would have come from our pipeline instead of keeping hain/senden/farmer/sidorski/deridder?   Spicer, obviously,  but hardly a gigantic plus by himself. 

He’s a true frosh…let’s let it play out 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Didn’t we pull the plug? I could have sworn we asked him to play another year of juniors 

From what I remember, he was supposed to be in this year’s junior class, I think he was even announced. And then sometime in the summer I think someone on here said something about him playing another year of juniors. And not long after the decommit happened. 

He never did play another year of junior hockey though… 

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Screenshot_20230305_020426.thumb.jpg.eb0066831b57c0edc53d2846d0da265a.jpg

Okay, he put it out there.  He's got this team doing special things this season.  Winning four games the next two weekends has to happen first. 

Oof.  I might have gone with, “we’re playing well right now and giving 110%” rather than coyly playing Joe Namath before Super Bowl III, but that’s just me…

9 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Oof.  I might have gone with, “we’re playing well right now and giving 110%” rather than coyly playing Joe Namath before Super Bowl III, but that’s just me…

Right.....you just got to .500 to finish the conference regular season.  Pump the brakes a little.