SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

1 hour ago, ND_Texan said:

If the playoffs started today we’d breeze through rounds 1 and 2 and into the FF. #3 in the PW ain’t too shabby. Just sayin’. 

Idk what you mean by we’d breeze through rounds one and two. Maybe round one but the NCAAs is no easy tourney

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

We have an abundance of fans(a few on here, but not many thankfully) who believe that the sole purpose of other college hockey programs is so we have someone to play.

Bingo, we’re all (fingers crossed), coming from a good place. Snarky is genetic with me

1 hour ago, ND_Texan said:

If the playoffs started today we’d breeze through rounds 1 and 2 and into the FF. #3 in the PW ain’t too shabby. Just sayin’. 

No one is going to have a piece of cake in the first round this year. I don’t remember the last time the bubble teams had such solid potential to make a frozen four as they do this season. For example: Just this last weekend the  #17 pairwise team jumped up to #11 by sweeping the #2/3 team in the pairwise. There are always upsets, but predicting the first round winners in the NCAAs this year is going to be tougher than normal. 

• Upvote 1

First; no more ‘checkbox’ marking, natty babble or other fan/critic b.s.

Second; funnel your fan ‘karma energy’ to the TEAM so they win the first shift tomorrow night.

Third; rinse and repeat step 2

P.S.  Cease demanding line personnel change(s), ad infinitum.  Coaches coach, players play, fans are happy or sad - these are the finite roles in this drama.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, krustyklown said:

Second; funnel your fan ‘karma energy’ to the TEAM so they win the first shift tomorrow night.

P.S.  Cease demanding line personnel change(s), ad infinitum.  Coaches coach, players play, fans are happy or sad - these are the finite roles in this drama.

I can get on board with all of that.

49 minutes ago, burd said:

Agree big time.   It’s a great game, and championships are fun, but for those if us who experience it as fans, it is most definitely part of the small stuff of life.   It appears, at least, that those who place so much importance on the banner count are usually unhappy with their experience and are missing out on something good.   We’re watching a game we love, not feeding the poor here.

One can enjoy the experience and have certain expectations simultaneously. This season is way more fun than last season.

48 minutes ago, krustyklown said:

Think about this: we lost a player last season to the portal because he couldn't handle the pressure of playing at UND. Too much pressure. 

2 hours ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

Idk what you mean by we’d breeze through rounds one and two. Maybe round one but the NCAAs is no easy tourney

Yeah the current brackets have us playing Cornell in the 1st round.
This season, Cornell has swept UMD, beaten BU, beaten QU, and have only lost 4 games all season.

I don't think that'd be an easy first round game at all.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Which specific one? There are a few that left that might apply to.

Cooper Moore said that I've heard it from a couple of different people, but Schloss had it in his Twitter feed last spring. 

11 hours ago, brianvf said:

Yeah the current brackets have us playing Cornell in the 1st round.
This season, Cornell has swept UMD, beaten BU, beaten QU, and have only lost 4 games all season.

I don't think that'd be an easy first round game at all.

There are no easy games in the postseason. All the teams are good, that's why they are in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Man, you bring this up ALL THE TIME and it's just not founded in truth. Who else believes this?

I don't bring it up because I believe it. I think it's hogwash. I bring it up ALL THE TIME because @scpa0305 keeps insisting that the B1G and the big media market schools out east are going to rule the College Hockey world and that UND and other similar programs will have to settle for "backfilling with over-agers" (that's a direct quote from sometime last season, I am not making it up). Go tell @scpa0305 that he is wrong, because I think he is too. I keep bringing it up because that erroneous notion needs to be challenged whenever and wherever it is propagated.

Anyway, you make good points. I am enjoying this season, especially after the past few seasons, which were not as much fun to watch. @krustyklown is right, I will not bring up the topic of championships as long as UND is alive in the postseason.

48 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Man, you bring this up ALL THE TIME and it's just not founded in truth. Who else believes this? What proof do you have about this? UND continues to win games, continues to get into the tournament, continues to recruit great players, continues to put players in the pros. Yes, I understand it's about winning championships, but a team has to have those regular season wins to get to the tournament. 

It's annoying that DU and UMD have won those titles. No doubt. Those two programs have found a way to have a four-game winning streak a couple times. That's quite literally what it takes to win a title and a team has to no only be very, very good to win those titles, but they also have to be very, very fortunate. That's the nature of the game and the nature of a one-game tournament format. Our standing as a program doesn't, nor should it, be diminished because we haven't been as fortunate in the tournament in recent years. Being a good to great team nearly every year has us in a position to remain where we are. Once you're in the tourney, it takes a lot to win it. UND didn't get it done in 20-21. Does a loss in 5OT mean that team couldn't have won the title? How about the 19-20 team that was lost to COVID? Both of those teams had what it takes to win. It's complete nonsense to think that because they didn't go on a four-game winning streak to end those seasons that our program is somehow diminished.

Continue to get in tournament? Didn’t we miss it last year 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't bring it up because I believe it. I think it's hogwash. I bring it up ALL THE TIME because @scpa0305 keeps insisting that the B1G and the big media market schools out east are going to rule the College Hockey world and that UND and other similar programs will have to settle for "backfilling with over-agers" (that's a direct quote from sometime last season, I am not making it up). Go tell @scpa0305 that he is wrong, because I think he is too. I keep bringing it up because that erroneous notion needs to be challenged whenever and wherever it is propagated.

Anyway, you make good points. I am enjoying this season, especially after the past few seasons, which were not as much fun to watch. @krustyklown is right, I will not bring up the topic of championships as long as UND is alive in the postseason.

Overall, I do apologize for making this all about you because it's certainly not. I think what @scpa0305 has always discussed, from my understanding, is that UND will lose out on the market share with how college hockey is going. I can't disagree with that. When I hear "backfilling with over-agers" I kind of think that's a lot what we did this year with Britt, Pehrson, Pyke, Johannes, etc. (not shots at them.... they are all very, very good hockey players). UND still has the ability to recruit and that hasn't changed. 

I think the bolded part is what bothers me the most. This team didn't get dropped from the NCAA tournament by losing two games to CC last week. We're so incredibly over reactive as a fanbase. I understand "fan" is short for fanatic, but my goodness :D

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

When I hear "backfilling with over-agers" I kind of think that's a lot what we did this year with Britt, Pehrson, Pyke, Johannes, etc. (not shots at them.... they are all very, very good hockey players).

Those were Transfer Portal additions. When I hear "backfilling with over-agers", I think of settling for kids who have aged out of junior hockey and are still available because they aren't considered top recruits. That would mean fewer postseason trips and even fewer Frozen Four appearances. That is what we cannot afford to have happen.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Those were Transfer Portal additions. When I hear "backfilling with over-agers", I think of settling for kids who have aged out of junior hockey and are still available because they aren't considered top recruits. That would mean fewer postseason trips and even fewer Frozen Four appearances. That is what we cannot afford to have happen.

I understand the trepidation that it could cause if that's how you hear it. 

• Upvote 1