SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

55 minutes ago, AJS said:

Jackson Blake currently tied for 5th in the country in scoring with 34 points. Especially with the team's success. Are we talking a legitimate Hobey hattrick type of year? 

Gotta remember the East Coast Bias though.
They won't want two Western players in the hattrick.

My guess would be Rizzo/Insert BU player/Insert BC player for the hattrick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Wasn't it Kyle Conner who didn't win the Hobey though he lead in most categories?

15 minutes ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

Wasn't it Kyle Conner who didn't win the Hobey though he lead in most categories?

Yeah. That was when the committee decided to start giving out an award based on a career instead of the current season. In Connor’s case they gave it to Jimmy Vesey- he was a returning Hobey hat trick finalist but didn’t have anywhere close to the offensive production of Kyle Connor. 

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yeah. That was when the committee decided to start giving out an award based on a career instead of the current season. In Connor’s case they gave it to Jimmy Vesey- he was a returning Hobey hat trick finalist but didn’t have anywhere close to the offensive production of Kyle Connor. 

One of the requirements is achievements in Academia and showing great character on and off the ice. Vesey was a Harvard boy after all.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Which is why the Hobey has become an afterthought to me. Players would trade the Hobey for a Natty in a heartbeat. I am happy about Hrkac and Duncan winning it, but I have seen too much chicanery over the years to ever get excited about it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

One of the requirements is achievements in Academia and showing great character on and off the ice. Vesey was a Harvard boy after all.

I hadn't seen anything like the east coast media spooge-fest for Vesey since Jason Krog. 

3 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

The problem with that is if the Hobey is supposed to go to the best player in college hockey the academic and off ice stuff should not be weighed more than on ice achievements. Seems like it was in Vesey’s case. 71 points vs 46 points? C’mon now. 

4 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

The problem with that is if the Hobey is supposed to go to the best player in college hockey the academic and off ice stuff should not be weighed more than on ice achievements. Seems like it was in Vesey’s case. 71 points vs 46 points? C’mon now. 

#butHahvid

34 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

So, we started the year with 8 new defenders, and a "new" guy, Dillon Simpson, hired to coach the D.  

Couple months together, they're playing very cohesively, with each other and with the forwards and goalie.

If there is an Assistant Coach of the Year Award, I have a nominee in mind.

Good point.  And you have to think he will also be a big help in recruiting.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

So, we started the year with 8 new defenders, and a "new" guy, Dillon Simpson, hired to coach the D.  

Couple months together, they're playing very cohesively, with each other and with the forwards and goalie.

If there is an Assistant Coach of the Year Award, I have a nominee in mind.

"New guy"-Dillon Simpson otherwise known as The Equalizer!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

My bad, I spoke before looking at the statistics. Gabe Perreault could also be in there

Although he will probably go top 3 in the draft 

On 12/13/2023 at 4:28 PM, RedFrog said:

I've primarily been a lurker over the last 15+ years and am a true die-hard Sioux Hockey fan.  I am passionate and get really frustrated when we don't play to our potential and have outcomes like this past weekend.  I couldn't stand to read or talk anything about this past weekend until today.  We still got 2 out of 6 points and I am now over my tantrum and I am truly thrilled with what this team showed the first half of the season. 

I now have a feeling of excited anticipation for what the team will bring in the second half as the push for the Penrose heats up and we start checking off boxes.

I need to follow up on the above ... it is weekends like this past weekend that have me checking the boards every couple of hours and looking for any article that I can read about the season.  So far, the excited anticipation is turning into pure excitement. 

I'll remain cautiously optimistic, but the checking of boxes is getting closer ... how long before we can lockup home ice for first round of the playoffs?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, farce poobah said:

The defense and goaltending have exceeded my expectations. UND is currently tied for eighth in the nation at 2.4 Goals Allowed/Game. And it seems like they're getting better.

Offensively, the defensemen have scored just seven goals so far this season. Seven of the 100 goals UND has scored. 

Two seasons ago, defensemen scored about 26% of UND's goals. Last season, 20% of UND's goals. This season, 7%. But it doesn't seem like it's holding the team back.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

The defense and goaltending have exceeded my expectations. UND is currently tied for eighth in the nation at 2.4 Goals Allowed/Game. And it seems like they're getting better.

Offensively, the defensemen have scored just seven goals so far this season. Seven of the 100 goals UND has scored. 

Two seasons ago, defensemen scored about 26% of UND's goals. Last season, 20% of UND's goals. This season, 7%. But it doesn't seem like it's holding the team back.

Sometimes when defenseman score a large % of the goals it tends to indicate a lack of scoring punch up front. For example, the year wolanin led the team in scoring.

• Upvote 3

I'm hoping we keep the pace and end up as the #1 seed in Sioux Falls. Assuming that happens, does anybody remember the protocol for when the #1 seed plays the first day? Is it the #1 seed's choice? Do they base it on attendance? I know the earlier game is better for extra rest, but with a day off on Friday, I'm not sure how much that factors in.

25 minutes ago, fargosioux said:

I'm hoping we keep the pace and end up as the #1 seed in Sioux Falls. Assuming that happens, does anybody remember the protocol for when the #1 seed plays the first day? Is it the #1 seed's choice? Do they base it on attendance? I know the earlier game is better for extra rest, but with a day off on Friday, I'm not sure how much that factors in.

Being a #1 seed in SF has some potential issues, albeit both unlikely. We need Omaha to not have a #4 seed (since they are the host), and fellow host UMass to not have a #4 seed if the other 3 #1 seeds are HE schools (as is the case right now). There's a decent chance all 4 #4 seeds are autobids this year; at least 2 are guaranteed.

Omaha is likely to be on the road in the first round, so they have a tough road to the #4 seed autobid. They have still never made it to the Frozen Faceoff.

3 hours ago, fargosioux said:

Pretty sure it’s mostly based on TV. So ESPN’s preference will be a factor. That’s why there was a push to get the off day because high seeds who should have been given the early game were given the late game for TV reasons, and then giving more rest to the lower seeds. I don’t think there’s any way to predict game times. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/once-known-for-being-a-menace-und-is-now-one-of-the-ncaas-most-disciplined-teams

This year's team is on the verge of finishing as the least penalized UND team in program history.  :0

They're averaging just 6.62 penalty minutes per game, which ranks second nationally. They're only percentage points behind Sacred Heart (6.59).

UND's least penalized seasons

2023-24 — 6.62 penalty minutes/game*
1947-48 — 6.81
1954-55 — 6.93
1948-49 — 7
1953-54 — 7.15
1952-53 — 7.3
1950-51 — 8.5
*As of Feb. 1, 2024

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1