SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

No matter where it goes Gaber should be celebrated for his development he has accomplished here and should be looking to take the next step to develop in the pro game for next season IMO.

What that looks like will depend a ton on what he wants obviously, but also on how this season finishes and how much of the pro seasons are left after...... 

• Upvote 2

He seemed to come out of nowhere as a freshman, but you could tell right away he had a shot like we hadn't seen much of at UND in recent years.   He plays hard and has learned a lot, IMO, about being a team leader.   Hope he stays healthy the rest of the year, for his sake and for fans of UND hockey.

• Upvote 2

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/after-strong-first-half-und-coach-brad-berry-looks-ahead

"I know everybody is getting caught up in the overtime losses, especially the most recent ones here," Berry said. "It doesn't take away what we've done here so far. Having only two regulation losses in the first half against formidable competition is very positive for us. We have to keep building on it."

"There are a lot of positives. We've had a really good first half. Go to break. Be with your families. Then come back, knowing you have three months ahead of you to make a push to do something special here."

UND struggled against Colorado College's defensive structure last weekend.

Improving against teams that play the same style — Alaska also is a strong defensive team — will be one challenge for the second half.

CHN article on Persson:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2023/12/19_Mutual-Benefit.php

He also boasted multiple individual accolades during his time in Oxford. Persson ended up with the fourth-most saves in program history (2,451), earned NCHC All-Second Team and All-Rookie honors after the 2020-21 season, and set the program single-season saves record, making 1,027 stops in 2021-22 (fourth-most in the NCAA).

However, with his final year of eligibility on the horizon, Persson decided he wanted the chance to win something big.

“It was an easy decision. … The winning and losing wasn’t where I wanted to be, and I felt like I needed a change of environment. It was really cool when [North Dakota] contacted me. You don’t really know a lot heading into the [transfer] portal, but they reached out, and I’m really happy they did.”

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Persson had two seasons of eligibility left when he transferred to UND?  His senior year and his COVID year.

47 minutes ago, brianvf said:

CHN article on Persson:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2023/12/19_Mutual-Benefit.php

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Persson had two seasons of eligibility left when he transferred to UND?  His senior year and his COVID year.

Yeah, that article is wrong. He has two seasons if he wants it.

• Upvote 1

Midseason bracket projection from CHN:

The below is based upon the current Pairwise, but also some projection with how the rest of the season will play. This is one take on those events, and what a bracket might look like in that case.

Sioux Falls, S.D., Regional

2. North Dakota (NCHC Champ) vs. 15. RIT (Atlantic Champ)
7. Maine vs. 10. Western Michigan

The race between RIT and AIC is going to be an exciting one down the stretch and RIT could potentially earn an at-large bid if they are unable to win Atlantic Hockey. I was worried about a North Dakota team that had to replace its entire defense, but that does not seem to have slowed the Hawks down one bit. Ludvig Persson has also been solid in net after transferring from Miami.

This projects Maine slipping from its current 1 seed status, given that these Hockey East teams near the top of the Pairwise now will all have to play each other a bunch of times down the stretch. Still a solid 2 here, and it will be happy just to finally get back in the tournament.

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Apparently Austin is the front runner for the next destination game, at their rink way out in the suburbs. Hopefully not at the same time as ACL Festival.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-making-progress-toward-next-destination-hockey-game

In 2026 for the HoF game.  They've been in communication with Michigan State as a possible opponent.
These destination games have been stinkers the last couple times.  Hopefully if this all gets scheduled, they can break through with a win this time.