SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

I'll pivot a little on 13. IF your 13th (11), 14th (13) and 15th (5) Forwards are those three, then I have no issues at all with him coming back. I just do not want to see what happened this year happen again and that's a possibility or I would even say likely if he's on the team. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Not only do I think Blake and Gaber should be split up, but I also think Berg (a shooter), should be on a different line than Gaber (also a shooter). So I’d switch things around in that aspect. Haven’t decided what I prefer for lines yet. Gaber also does that thing where he holds onto the puck too long and eventually turns it over and it really pisses me off. I hope he stops doing that  :)

no more snickerdoodles for you!  harrumph!!!

Albrecht is returning. It's happening, so I'll refrain from being too negative. I just don't get it. Now, if you look up two posts, I still believe that. Hopefully he's used more as a depth guy and not a 4th line fixture. I'll be really disappointed if someone like Emerson is in and out of the lineup, because Albrecht is a lock. 

Edit: I really hate this 5th year stuff. I always said, I'll never be able to comprehend Berry bringing back these guys (see Hain / Senden), where someone else could easily step into that roll. It's just crazy to me. Hurts others development. Feels like you're also potentially taking an experience from someone else. Albrecht is how old? So ridiculous. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

Albrecht is returning. It's happening, so I'll refrain from being too negative. I just don't get it. Now, if you look up two posts, I still believe that. Hopefully he's used more as a depth guy and not a 4th line fixture. I'll be really disappointed if someone like Emerson is in and out of the lineup, because Albrecht is a lock. 

Edit: I really hate this 5th year stuff. I always said, I'll never be able to comprehend Berry bringing back these guys (see Hain / Senden), where someone else could easily step into that roll. It's just crazy to me. Hurts others development. Feels like you're also potentially taking an experience from someone else. Albrecht is how old? So ridiculous. 

I really don’t have an issue with Albrecht coming back. It’s going to be hard enough trying to find Judd’s replacement out of the portal with all our returning forwards. Reality is if the guys ahead of him play to their potential than he’s a depth guy. It’s not like he’s been playing big minutes for 4 years like Hain and Senden. He’s been a depth guy his entire career. 

Of course the fact we don’t have any other college ready forwards in the pipeline is a completely different story. Because that’s really why Albrecht is allowed to come back. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, AJS said:

I don’t get it…any depth F they were going to add has the potential to do this…any good portal add has an even greater chance to do this. Why not keep a player around that’s actually been here this whole time? I never could figure out the albrecht noise. Guy didn’t play a season….why not bring him back in a depth role? Emerson will be a freshman that hasn’t been drafted (yet)….he’s gotta earn it.

6 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Eh not real strong feelings on Albrecht being back as long as he is strictly a depth/4th line guy which seems pretty likely

My thoughts as well. His presence must not stunt the development of younger guys with higher ceilings.

I like his energy and hustle. 

Expected Roster as of 4/6/23 -

Going by a somewhat typical 26-man roster (15 F / 8 D / 3 G):

Forwards (14)
Fr - Emerson / Perron
So - Blake / James / McLaughlin / Strinden / Montgomery (RS)
Jr - Schmaltz / Kunz / Berg
Sr - Gaber / Jamernik / Ness
Gr - Albrecht

Defense (6)
Fr - Benoit / Komzak / Wiebe / Livanavage / Strathmann
Gr - Pyke

Goalies (3)
Fr - Hedquist
So - Johnson
Sr - Persson

Portal and/or Recruit
F - Need one
D - Need two

I'd guess that we'll hear more news about portal additions soon. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/daily-skate-carson-albrecht-to-return-for-fifth-season

Winger Carson Albrecht has decided to return to UND for his fifth year and work toward a master's degree.

"I love hockey so much, I want to play until I can't play anymore," Albrecht said. "It just came down to school. I'm going to call a spade a spade. I'm probably not going to play in the NHL. That's out of the question. So, for me, it was whether I wanted to get my master's degree or enter the workforce."

Albrecht, who graduated with a degree in criminal justice and forensic science, will continue his schooling while spending another season with the Fighting Hawks.

"A few weeks ago when everyone was leaving, I don't know what I thought," Albrecht said. "But now with the pieces coming together, I think we have a chance to be a really good team."

I like the Albrecht move. 
It’s better to keep him as a depth player rather than add a similar depth player from the portal. Probably sits better with the team as well since he’s a well liked teammate. 
The team can still add a skilled forward from the portal to round out the forward group.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

He's crazy strong and he's smart and he knows his role.
He's a guy who can hit and I wouldn't want to be hit by. <-- That and yet a 0 penalty for 0 PIM line. 

And in complete reality, he's used just two (of four) playing year and three (of five) eligible years.
He could play 2023-24 and 2024-25!  

2019-20: did not participate (1 EY, 0 PY)
2020-21: does not count at all for anyone
2021-22: played (2 EY, 1 PY)
2022-23: played (3 EY, 2 PY)
2023-24: 4 EY, 3 PY
2024-25: 5 EY, 4 PY

I guess Albrecht coming back for a fifth year is not as bad as it could be, but it says a lot about the state of recruiting at UND. No one to get displaced with only two freshmen forwards coming in. There are players on the team that sat in the stands this season that could have used more ice time but with two 5th year players on the team they didn't get it. Maybe he will turn into Sanderson 2.0.

Albrecht, who graduated with a degree in criminal justice and forensic science, ... 

Aren't those two separate Bachelor's programs at UND?
Did they combine to a single degree or did he knock out two degrees in four years? 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I like Albrecht coming back. He essentially redshirted his first season. Never have to worry about him not giving 100% and he finishes checks and does not take penalties. He can play 3rd and 4th line when needed and it he somehow developed better hands he would score more because he gets himself into scoring positions quite a a bit through hustle and instincts. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Maybe he will turn into Sanderson 2.0.

I'm hoping for more of an Archibald moment. People forget Archie was a goal machine his final season. (41 GP, 37 goals, ... 197 PIM  :)  ) 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

So he knocked out two Bachelor's degrees in four years and is starting a Master's. <- Not a bad role model. 

I think it’s still just one bachelor’s. I think you only get two if one is a Bachelor’s of Arts and the other is a Bachelor’s of Science. I have a B.S and a B.A and that was how I understood it but I could be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I like Albrecht coming back. He essentially redshirted his first season. Never have to worry about him not giving 100% and he finishes checks and does not take penalties. He can play 3rd and 4th line when needed and it he somehow developed better hands he would score more because he gets himself into scoring positions quite a a bit through hustle and instincts. 

Check out his last year in Melfort: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/335673/carson-albrecht

We forget that. 

3 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think it’s still just one bachelor’s. I think you only get two if one is a Bachelor’s of Arts and the other is a Bachelor’s of Science. I have a B.S and a B.A and that was how I understood it but I could be wrong. 

I'm looking at two UND Bachelor of Science degrees from (then School now) College of Engineering and Mines on my wall. Both done in same five year time window (along with cooperative education rotations). <- Yes, that was an unapologetic self-pat on back. You expected nothing less. ;)