SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You get four seasons of play/competition. 
You get five academic years to complete them. 

The 2020-21 year does not count towards either category (season of play or academic year).

Unless you stay at your original school to work on your degree and your school chooses or does not play at all that year....then apparently you do not get the 5th year. So I get it is one or the other, 5 years to play 4 years or 5 years to play 5 with a Covid season. To me it seems like it should be a redshirt year as it seems plenty of guys in football have used  6 years to play 5.

Jandric

Sidorski

2 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Both Jandric and Sidorski did not play during the 2020-21 season because of covid. So this year is their 5th year option. It sucks they don't get another year because their schools decided not to play. 

This is their fourth year of countable competition and that’s all you get.

The 2020-21 is not a countable year for anyone. 

Frisch has played -20, -21, -22, and -23 but -21 counts for no one so that’s why he has a remaining fourth year of competition. 

Albrecht did not play at all in -20 but was here. No competition. Seasons -21, -22, -23 he played but -21 counts for no one. Carson has only used two competitive seasons. He could play two more as Schlossman reports. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

This is their fourth year of countable competition and that’s all you get.

The 2020-21 is not a countable year for anyone. 

Yeah, not really arguing the semantics just pointing out that while 20-21 didn't count for anyone, most players played around 30 games that year while their school played 0.

Sidorski is a grad transfer I believe but Jandric was a transfer I believe....Just find it odd that somehow Lindsay Scott Jr. found his way onto a college football roster for 6 teams over 7 years.

Don’t get lost in words like grad or fifth year. There is no standard NCAA language teams use. In UND case it’s if they are done with an undergraduate degree or taking grad courses. 

Use hockeydb.com and count seasons of competition (discounting -21). 

10 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Yeah, not really arguing the semantics just pointing out that while 20-21 didn't count for anyone, most players played around 30 games that year while their school played 0.

… and some played ten and shut down. The NCAA just disappeared the year given all the disparate scenarios. It was the simplest solution. 

49 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Don’t get lost in words like grad or fifth year. There is no standard NCAA language teams use. In UND case it’s if they are done with an undergraduate degree or taking grad courses. 

Use hockeydb.com and count seasons of competition (discounting -21). 

In D1 hockey, how many games does a player have to appear in for that season to count as one of his four competitive seasons? (In FCS football, I believe a player can appear in four games before that year counts as one of his eligible seasons.)

For a season to count I believe it is max 30% of  games plus one and none in second half of season, I believe. Don’t quote me.

Johnson played 13 all in first half, but I don’t know what number to calculate 30% of: 34 regular season, actual team games, or max played by any team this year.

This is where I could use @Hammersmith help as they seem to know how to calculate if a season counts for a player. 

51 minutes ago, burd said:

Someone explain Wilbur.   He's been available to play since forever.   

2001-2002: Enrolled at Minot state, turned down club hockey opportunity.  Honestly wouldn't have played, had some older better looking Canadians.  

2002-2003: Used the portal to transfer to UND, Blais did not offer opportunity to play.  Was in Brannon Hall instead of Walsh Hall.....Accepted offer to play on the Beta fraternity hockey team (Masta Beta) 

2003-2004: Intramural hockey all star.  Intramural basketball squad put on notice for rough play...most notably hip checks.  

2004-2005:  Continued Intramural success.  Intramural office changes basketball end game rules in part due to a bunch of hockey idiots roughing up basketball players.  Hak doesn't offer anything in his first year at the helm. 

2005-2006:  The swan song.  Hak not impressed enough to put me on the team.....Won a coed softball intramural championship on a walk off homer in my last ever intramural event.  Got purple t-shirt. 

Wilbur is done.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

For a season to count I believe it is max 30% of  games plus one and none in second half of season, I believe. Don’t quote me.

Johnson played 13 all in first half, but I don’t know what number to calculate 30% of: 34 regular season, actual team games, or max played by any team this year.

This is where I could use @Hammersmith help as they seem to know how to calculate if a season counts for a player. 

I don't know your players. Are we talking injury or redshirt?

Actually, I don't think it matters.

Redshirt: There is no exemption for ice hockey like there is for football. In hockey, if you play one game, you lose the season.

Injury: 30% of the season +1 = 11 games. Even if UND advances to the NCHC finals, it's still 11 games. We would have to interpret the rules as loosely as possible to allow all potential NCHC and NCAA championship games to count. Then the maximum number of games in a season for UND would be 34+2+4=40. 40*0.3=12; 12+1=13. He would just barely make the cutoff.

My gut says the only chance for Johnson's season to qualify for a hardship waiver is for UND to have played all 34 allowed regular season games, then make it to both the NCHC finals and NCAA finals. The chart says "the institution's completed schedule" not the maximum possible for any institution.

Figure 12-1, pages 76-77 according to the document, 89-90 according to the pdf reader:

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/reports/getReport/90008

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hammersmith said:

Redshirt: There is no exemption for ice hockey like there is for football. In hockey, if you play one game, you lose the season.

That's almost predatory to sports not football. 

They haven't claimed an injury on Brent Johnson. I guess it's as you say, " ... you play one game, you lose the season." 

And your "30%" calculation is what I get (except I get a 42 game NatChamp season: 34+4+4). 

@Hammersmith, thank you for confirming what I believed to be. 

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

That's almost predatory to sports not football. 

They haven't claimed an injury on Brent Johnson. I guess it's as you say, " ... you play one game, you lose the season." 

And your "30%" calculation is what I get (except I get a 42 game NatChamp season: 34+4+4). 

@Hammersmith, thank you for confirming what I believed to be. 

I believe it's decided by each individual sport committee(which is made up of athletic directors that represent conferences that sponsor the sport). I don't think there's anything preventing the ice hockey committee from instituting a similar rule.

Field hockey, both soccers, all three volleyballs, both water polos, baseball, lacrosse, softball, and men's wrestling all have some form of allowing players to compete in a partial season without burning a season of competition. (in addition to football)