SiouxSports.com Forum

On to Oxford. Miami for a pair.

Wilbur

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

DeRidder...."It's easier when you play a couple games in a row and get that rhythm going. It's nice to have that."

He plays better with his family in the stands ... load up the U-Haul; they're coming back to Grand Forks Sunday. 

12 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Schmaltz got rocked. Hit was a bit late. Head went into the glass. Probably concussion.

It looking back at that hit, I was an interference penalty that went uncalled. After the game, on the radio, Berry wasn't pleased with the hit and said that he thought it was a contact to the head. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Miami was out to irritate and agitate. 

Know. Understand. Do not comply.  

Since UND has so many players, they can afford to spend a DQ or two. If I was the head coach, once the win wasn't in doubt, I'd send a fourth liner over the boards to atone for the hit on Schmaltz. The game against SCSU comes to mind. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I believe on TV they mentioned something like 3rd major of the year, or something to that tone, carries an automatic 1 game suspension with it. Announcers seemed pretty confident that Kleven will be sitting tomorrow.

They were wrong, the third game misconduct penalty and he has a game suspension. 

3 minutes ago, Goon said:

Since UND has so many players, they can afford to spend a DQ or two. If I was the head coach, once the win wasn't in doubt, I'd send a fourth liner over the boards to atone for the hit on Schmaltz. The game against SCSU comes to mind. 

I think Mike Commodore has a year of eligibility left.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, N of GF said:

It'd be better for everyone if Kleven moves on to the next level after this season. I hate to see him leave, but it's getting kinda nuts.

I can't believe my view on this is swinging back to this but ...

Try that kick crap at the next level on any of the Lightning and Pat Maroon will turn your face that color. 

Let Kleven defend himself. The officials aren't doing it and are making subjective calls by reputation.

" ... oh it's Kleven again ... " <- yeah, that got run twice in 30 seconds and he's not supposed to respond? 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, farce poobah said:

Banter aside, count me as frustrated that the referees didn't pick up on Miami's intent to irritate, agitate and injure.

I'm hoping they put a stop to that, quickly, tonight.  

Starman said it best last night. “Called it too tight in the first 5 minutes.” Sterns lost his whistle after a our perfectly executed power play. Then this is the second time this month a UND player gets checked into the net and no call. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Goon said:

They were wrong, the third game misconduct penalty and he has a game suspension. 

But the box score says he only took a cross checking major (no misco, no game dq). 

The rule book does not make the misco mandatory with the major in this case. 

Rule 63 - Cross-Checking 63.1 Cross-Checking - A player shall not cross-check an opponent. A crosscheck is a check delivered by extending the arms with both hands on the stick and making contact with the opponent.
PENALTY—Minor, major, game misconduct or disqualification at the discretion of the referee.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Starman said it best last night. “Called it too tight in the first 5 minutes.” Sterns lost his whistle after a our perfectly executed power play. Then this is the second time this month a UND player gets checked into the net and no call. 

That was ridiculous, that should have been a penalty on the Miami player. Starman called it finishing a check. 

17 minutes ago, Goon said:

There's a reason God invented fourth-line right wingers. ;) 

• Upvote 1

So you're telling me that Miami went from one minor penalty to a gong show last minute with an intent to injure penalty?

I know we've had one of those seasons but it's time that this team showed some heart and ran Miami out of its building tonight without needing DeRidder to save the day.

Curious who on this team could be sent over the boards as an enforcer, Jackson Kunz comes to mind based on size, but he is in GF.  Not that it matters as the refs would shut it down before as soon as any squaring off happened. I recall Mario dropping mitts, I think with the St Cloud Marvin that ran Chay Genoway into the boards.  Refs stopped that before them fellas could exhale.  

Not sure how I stand on fighting in hockey, like the enforcer stops cheap shots concept but the whole enforcers ending up with brain trauma gives me pause.

27 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Curious who on this team could be sent over the boards as an enforcer, Jackson Kunz comes to mind based on size, but he is in GF.  Not that it matters as the refs would shut it down before as soon as any squaring off happened. I recall Mario dropping mitts, I think with the St Cloud Marvin that ran Chay Genoway into the boards.  Refs stopped that before them fellas could exhale.  

Not sure how I stand on fighting in hockey, like the enforcer stops cheap shots concept but the whole enforcers ending up with brain trauma gives me pause.

I think Mario was the last guy to actually drop the gloves at UND. You used to see a fight maybe once a year . 

12 hours ago, dden3 said:

I said earlier that BB challenge on the Schmaltz was a bad call by him. In BBS defense, had Kleven made that hit, it would have been a 2 minute call and the review for a major would still be going on. 

They said he didn’t challenge it. The refs must have decided that, which left Berry the opportunity to challenge the kicking without getting a penalty with a wrong challenge.  One thing is crystal clear, they need to fix the challenge situation after this year. It is way too much, and coaches abuse it because sometimes they have nothing to lose.

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

They said he didn’t challenge it. The refs must have decided that, which left Berry the opportunity to challenge the kicking without getting a penalty with a wrong challenge.  One thing is crystal clear, they need to fix the challenge situation after this year. It is way too much, and coaches abuse it because sometimes they have nothing to lose.

Officials reviewed Hain getting hit in the head. Berry challenged the schumltz contact to the head. Upon review did not meet the requirements for a major goal stands und charged a time out. (Love the didn’t meet the requirements for a major. The new we missed it) berry then at the risk of a delay of game penalty challenged the kicking by Miami. (Which a squirt ref shouldn’t miss).