SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday night with Duluth-Spicer's Revenge???

Wilbur

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Hahaha......cherry picking. He was the NCHC defensive Dman of the year last season. Bad play last night. Struggled early on this season but has been the only reliable Dman night in and night out for weeks. To put him coming back in same bucket as a couple this year is honestly laughable.

No, but that is my point.  Bringing Senden and Hain back wasn’t a bad decision either when you look at what they do for the squad.  

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, burd said:

I know most teams have similar approaches to break-out, but it seems to me that the first pass, often the first two, for UND are always to stationary targets and easy to defend.  

Our attempts at break-outs last night were brutal.

With two minutes left Frisch made a poor play. Where was Kleven at that time to give him a better option? And Senden said post-game to Hennessy that he didn’t come back hard enough to cover up the middle. Lots of fail there. 

It was an issue because earlier in the game four white jerseys went below the defensive goal line and left Howard all alone. Shall we name those four? 

That last play wouldn’t be of any note if not for DeRidder making a couple “on zero” saves he had no business making. UMD should’ve had four or five on the board if not for 34. 

Point at 15, but it was a total team loss effort. 

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Does anyone truly want a defense of 4, 6, 24, with four freshmen, and a portal?  (I see 25 signing.) 

Folks should be hoping and praying 15, the 2022 NCHC Defensive Defenseman of the Year, comes back to teach the freshmen. 

I hope that all of 4, 6, & 24 return and none enter the portal as has been discussed here.

IMO, our success next season hinges on the decision of 15 & 17 and the coaches ability to pick up a quality goalie (either from portal or recruit).

1 hour ago, burd said:

I know most teams have similar approaches to break-out, but it seems to me that the first pass, often the first two, for UND are always to stationary targets and easy to defend.  

I was noticing that the "breakout" was often just flipping the puck high to center ice, and it seemed like it was Kleven every time. Must have been due to forwards out of position or well covered.

44 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Does anyone truly want a defense of 4, 6, 24, with four freshmen, and a portal?  (I see 25 signing.

Folks should be hoping and praying 15, the 2022 NCHC Defensive Defenseman of the Year, comes back to teach the freshmen. 

I agree. And I hope 15 comes back.

8 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So we shouldn't question decisions, tactics and strategies that simply have not worked? And a coaching staff that is clearly lost as to how to turn it around? Whatever makes you sleep better at night, I guess.

Never said that, but the negativity on the board is reaching epic proportions. There is little wonder that our opponents are enjoying this, given the behavior when we are winning. I’m just saying things are neither that good, nor that bad. BB isn’t on the ice, not responsible for their play, merely for their preparation. Everyone drooled at the incoming year after year, these are different players, not raised like us. They don’t respond to tradition, hard work nor ‘frank discussion’. The stars ARE the problem, not the solution. I see a lot of individual play, no more than that. Shuffle the deck, start over, from the ground up.

1 hour ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Never said that, but the negativity on the board is reaching epic proportions. There is little wonder that our opponents are enjoying this, given the behavior when we are winning. I’m just saying things are neither that good, nor that bad. BB isn’t on the ice, not responsible for their play, merely for their preparation. Everyone drooled at the incoming year after year, these are different players, not raised like us. They don’t respond to tradition, hard work nor ‘frank discussion’. The stars ARE the problem, not the solution. I see a lot of individual play, no more than that. Shuffle the deck, start over, from the ground up.

I’m guilty oh this, I guess that’s why we’re fanatics , we should wait a day or two until posting just to be fair to coaches and players. 

After reflecting on last night's loss to UMD, I found myself with 3 hypotheses about why we played so poorly, and why its a recurring pattern.

One guess (hypothesis) is poor chemistry in the locker room, leading to poor communication and the eventual finger pointing.

Second guess is "senioritis" for lack of a better term.

Third guess is that practices aren't played at game speed.  (Thinking back to the 97-99 teams which were legendary speed, both games and practices.)

I've got no information to explain why we have underperformed so many nights this year.  But I'm seeing patterns that I don't like ...

PS I agree with those hoping 15 returns, wears a C, and gets that success on his resume for eventual pro experience.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

IMO, our success next season hinges on the decision of 15 & 17 and the coaches ability to pick up a quality goalie (either from portal or recruit).

Frankly, I'd only have one "Covid year" guy on the roster next year if at all possible: 15. For the defense. Like I said, 15, 4, 6, 24, and four freshmen. 

If one of the freshman forwards isn't ready you might convince me to bring back 28. But that's it. If it could be done with no Covid or portal skaters, I'd do it.

Goalie? Quite the conundrum. I could see going one portal for sure, if Hedquist isn't ready, second portal, even if Hellsten and Johnson both stay. Yes, potentially four goalies. 

19 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Never said that, but the negativity on the board is reaching epic proportions. 

Epic proportions?  You must be new around here.  This place was on FIRE around the time North Dakota was getting bounced in the Frozen Four semi-finals circa 2005-2008.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Epic proportions?  You must be new around here.  This place was on FIRE around the time North Dakota was getting bounced on the Frozen Four semi-finals circa 2005-2008.  

Oh to get a sniff of another F4 before they put you and me into a shared room at Shady Oaks Retirement Home.

10 hours ago, farce poobah said:

After reflecting on last night's loss to UMD, I found myself with 3 hypotheses about why we played so poorly, and why its a recurring pattern.

One guess (hypothesis) is poor chemistry in the locker room, leading to poor communication and the eventual finger pointing.

Third guess is that practices aren't played at game speed.  (Thinking back to the 97-99 teams which were legendary speed, both games and practices.)

I've got no information to explain why we have underperformed so many nights this year.  But I'm seeing patterns that I don't like ...

PS I agree with those hoping 15 returns, wears a C, and gets that success on his resume for eventual pro experience.

I'll pick "D: All of the above"

• Upvote 2

On 1/22/2023 at 9:35 AM, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

I had a dream last night that I was arrested and my punishment was having a guy with time control powers take me back to the Ralph and watch that Frisch turnover that lead to the 2nd goal over and over again. 

I just want the season to end already, it's becoming a literal nightmare for me.

I've never been less interested in UND hockey over the past 20 years. If we had a bad record but were playing tough, it would be a bit different. This team plays sloppy hockey with no chemistry night in and night out. The defensive zone turnover the other night was like something out of beer league hockey.

I hate to sound like a fair weather fan, but it is tough hockey to watch. Plenty of talent, but no chemistry. Hoping they can take a step forward next season, but it has to be in all phases. Goaltending has been bad, but the D hasn't helped either. Offense needs to score more. College teams can change quickly and I'm hoping for that for next season.

I also don't want to put it all on Berry, but we have had more down seasons with him that we should have to deal with (some good ones too). Go back to Hak; he had some down seasons, but always found a way to get into the tourney and once there would make some noise. Even when he had teams that had lesser talent, he had them firing on all cylinders by the end of the season. Shame we had to lose him to the NHL, especially when you go back to the conversations of him turning down the Flyers a few times before ultimately taking the deal.

10 hours ago, farce poobah said:

We don't play games at game speed. 

We are wholly predictable on breakouts from the defensive zone. How many times Saturday did a D take the puck behind the net ... and wait. Wait for the forwards ... during which time UMD got a full line change and the center ice (call it what it is) trap set up. That didn't happen last year because in that same time last year the one man breakout named Jake Sanderson would already be entering the attack zone. 

And you're missing one other factor: Leadership. 

• Upvote 1

Things I just didn't like Saturday:

Kleven ended the first period four seconds early (and the whole arena gasped). That's what you call an omen. 

Blake is trying to be a one-man band. Does his stick not pass ... or shoot for that matter. 

Our sticks are not heavy on the puck. A cool breeze garners a take-away.

Our passes are short, soft, and late/behind. 

Shoot the puck. Everyone, just shoot the puck. Right now it is OT and any shot is a good shot. 

This team lacks fundamentals: four below your own goal line? There are squirts laughing at that. 

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Epic proportions?  You must be new around here.  This place was on FIRE around the time North Dakota was getting bounced on the Frozen Four semi-finals circa 2005-2008.  

Glad I missed that! Geez-Louise, not sure I could have weathered that storm! Not sure I even played around on the Insultnet back then. I just want everyone to put down their Monster Energy drink and relax! You know western Minnesota is kinda laid back, don’t get too worked up ‘round here. Too busy fishing the ‘hard water’…