SiouxSports.com Forum

Duluth visits REA.

Wilbur

59 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I just thought it was funny you said "how down UND has been".  Sure, we've had some disappointing exits being eliminated by UMD in a 5th OT, losing to Notre Dame, and getting outplayed by a pandemic but I'd say they are anything but down years.  A down year was 2018-19, this year is looking like it'll be one(TBD) but not the last 3.

I'll trot this stat out again, average years between titles: DU 7.9, Michigan 8.2, UND 9.2, Wisco 9.5, Gophers 14.8, BC 14.8, UMD 19.3

For people expecting us to win it all every 4-5 years you're going to be disappointed more often than not. Our last title was 2016, so we'd have to get through the 2027 Frozen Four without winning a title to be "below average"(I'm not counting 2020 as an opportunity for obvious reasons).  

Stop with this thing called "perspective".... it's SO annoying ;)

1 hour ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Saw a clip on Twitter of Pionk's play on Cam years back. Still not a fan of Duluth, nor of their style of play.

Intent to injure.....100%.  The definition in the hockey world of running the goalie.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Changing the lines to get more defensive responsibility on each?

Changing that which is not working? 

What a concept!
Where ever did they get that notion?
Whodathunkit !?!?! 

And it's only the end of January - 

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

Plenty of time left in the season for the second half surge, amiright?

More importantly, will we see the NODAK jerseys again this season?

Not until you recognize Friday's Quinnipiac game as a win via the shootout.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Can someone fill me in on why we keep talking about the Nodak jersey? 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/north-dakota/armacost-says-und-hockey-coach-had-no-conflict-of-interest-concerning-daughters-ownership-of-nodak-llc

The conspiracy theory is that Berry is too worried about the NODAK LLC and it is affecting the teams performance on the ice.  ;) 

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Stop with this thing called "perspective".... it's SO annoying ;)

But even the people defending Berry said let's see what he does this year with a squad that was supposed to be very good.  Well, so far we are just hoping to make the tournament, much less an early exit again.  Yes, the same people that used to cry for a national championship instead of making the Frozen Four every year have now changed their tune a bit, but not having a sniff at the Frozen Four is substandard for this organization for that long, even with some of the extenuating circumstances.  

43 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

Having lunch thoughts while scrolling ss.  If I got to pick the lines for Friday .. shake it up but methodically 

9, 8, 10

22, 27, 17

18, 19, 21

20, 11, 26

es = 28

25, 7

2, 15

6, 3

scratched: 4,5,13,24,29

what do think? 

I'm not sure 6 should be playing over 4 or 24 if we want our defense to be better at the moment (not that 4 or 24 or great defensively but it's an upgrade from 6's capabilities). Unless they want 6 as an extra skater and throw him on the power play.

I am huge fan of breaking up 10-27-19. I wanted that even before the season started. I actually think 28would be good on that line since he is actually a capable defensive forward.

I'd rather see 10 be the extra skater and just use him on a PK or to throw on the 4th line a few shifts. Seems like he's lost the offense spark he started the season with because he's been on the power play and hasn't done much with that. But maybe a new line in general would get that rolling again for him.

Maybe 10 should sit out a night, keep 26 in as a good offensive player, and then bring 29 or 13 in and let one of those guys rough up some bulldogs to help maintain puck possession. 

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/north-dakota/armacost-says-und-hockey-coach-had-no-conflict-of-interest-concerning-daughters-ownership-of-nodak-llc

The conspiracy theory is that Berry is too worried about the NODAK LLC and it is affecting the teams performance on the ice.  ;) 

Ah! So, the repetition is because some believe that this is happening. I mean, I guess I can see that. I don't agree with it, but I can see why some would think that. 

39 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

I don't know about line combos per se, but I'd like to see 18, 20, 21, and 26 play every game from here on out. 

I'm curious who would be out, then? I don't disagree with anyone other than 18 as I think the kid needs to perform to stay in. 20 is a lock, 21 and 26 have shown me things that make me believe they should be in there, but again, who comes out? This isn't an easy choice. 

1 hour ago, tnt said:

But even the people defending Berry said let's see what he does this year with a squad that was supposed to be very good.  Well, so far we are just hoping to make the tournament, much less an early exit again.  Yes, the same people that used to cry for a national championship instead of making the Frozen Four every year have now changed their tune a bit, but not having a sniff at the Frozen Four is substandard for this organization for that long, even with some of the extenuating circumstances.  

Certainly don't disagree this year has been a let down, but the original conversation was about UND being down for several years. Are we really arguing we're down as a program on the heels of 3 straight conference titles? I just don't see it. I see a solid recruiting pipeline and a team who will compete for a title every season. I am annoyed that we are having everything go down this year, but, I just don't see the long-term worry. 

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Certainly don't disagree this year has been a let down, but the original conversation was about UND being down for several years. Are we really arguing we're down as a program on the heels of 3 straight conference titles? I just don't see it. I see a solid recruiting pipeline and a team who will compete for a title every season. I am annoyed that we are having everything go down this year, but, I just don't see the long-term worry. 

So you don't think we're the next Wisconsin, like our resident Chicken Little;)