SiouxSports.com Forum

Plenty Tix left vs Gophers!!

Nashvegas

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 9:40 PM, tnt said:

Vegas a week later could deter attendance for many UND fans.

It shouldn't (but it will) deter attendance for UND fans because as a fan base we say that we travel well to all the games. The reality is, we as a fan base are in love with the idea that we travel well but we only travel well when it's a destination game. 

2 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

It shouldn't (but it will) deter attendance for UND fans because as a fan base we say that we travel well to all the games. The reality is, we as a fan base are in love with the idea that we travel well but we only travel well when it's a destination game. 

I don't know, I see a lot of UND fans at all venues in our league and beyond, and I know they don't live in all of those places. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

UND has kind of created this problem itself by placing so much emphasis on these “destination” games.  At the end of the day, at almost $4 a gallon for gas and plane tickets thru the roof, not to mention food and beverage costs and expensive hotel stays, there is only so much disposable income to go around per fan.  I expect a lot of Twin Cities folks at this weekend’s games, but I won’t be one of them.  My “destination weekend” was last weekend in Grand Forks.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

UND has kind of created this problem itself by placing so much emphasis on these “destination” games.  At the end of the day, at almost $4 a gallon for gas and plane tickets thru the roof, not to mention food and beverage costs and expensive hotel stays, there is only so much disposable income to go around per fan.  I expect a lot of Twin Cities folks at this weekend’s games, but I won’t be one of them.  My “destination weekend” was last weekend in Grand Forks.  

I would much rather drive 4 and a half hours to GF to attend a game at the Ralph then drive 45 minutes to see a game at Mariucci.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I would much rather drive 4 and a half hours to GF to attend a game at the Ralph then drive 45 minutes to see a game at Mariucci.

I dunno, hockey isn’t as much fun without dodging some bullets on the ride to the game and having a 50/50 shot of being carjacked afterwards.  

52 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I dunno, hockey isn’t as much fun without dodging some bullets on the ride to the game and having a 50/50 shot of being carjacked afterwards.  

So ... the Twins and T'pups problems ... or are we not supposed to say the quiet part out loud. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Perfect place to watch.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Best place to be to watch Sioux Hockey! GF is always my destination. Love it!

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

UND didn't create the problem, the hockey program and the Ralph Engelstad Arena created the problem. What they haven't figured out is how to fill the REA every weekend. The Holy Cross weekend and the Quinnipiac still had a lot of empty seats in them. If we claim we have the best fan base, that arena should never have an empty seat in it. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

UND didn't create the problem, the hockey program and the Ralph Engelstad Arena created the problem. What they haven't figured out is how to fill the REA every weekend. The Holy Cross weekend and the Quinnipiac still had a lot of empty seats in them. If we claim we have the best fan base, that arena should never have an empty seat in it. 

Things aren't perfect right now to be sure, but how many years have we led the country in attendance.  And what problem exactly have they created?  Every other program in the country would love those problems.  The "problems" UND is having is emblematic of a shift in student interest and other people deciding where/how to spend their money.   It is trickling down to UND, but as a whole it hasn't yet become a dire situation like it was/is for the state of hockey's big program.  

13 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

UND didn't create the problem, the hockey program and the Ralph Engelstad Arena created the problem. 

I am pretty sure that the folks at Ralph Engelstad Arena would prefer a home weekend to a game being played in Las Vegas…maybe I’m wrong.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I am pretty sure that the folks at Ralph Engelstad Arena would prefer a home weekend to a game being played in Las Vegas…maybe I’m wrong.  

Well the Ralph Engelstad Arena/Jody Hodgson are the ones who put these destination games on with the support of the University.

49 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

The Hall of Fame game is exempt, so unless they do a one-off single game (like they just announced for 2024 against Providence), it isn't a full weekend game of games, just one.

And as previously mentioned, the REA is the one buying the HoF game and putting everything together (and they aren't doing that for free).
Will be interesting to see how many in the future they continue to get as they have to buy the rights to game. UND is willing to pay more than most, however there is some pushback that they should be spread out among the other teams a little bit more. 

53 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Well the Ralph Engelstad Arena/Jody Hodgson are the ones who put these destination games on with the support of the University.

The more I know…

I would still prefer a destination weekend to mean a Friday/Saturday series.  I enjoyed the IceBreaker in Duluth last fall for that very reason.  

The destination games are good for promoting the program, recruitment and the school recognition on a very visible nation wide level. And it’s the REA footing most of the bill. Attendance is down for a lot of things across the country. Movie theaters are still way down, games across all sports, events etc while we still break attendance records. Everyone wants to complain about something.