SiouxSports.com Forum

Spuds need ... drivers?

The Sicatoka

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Famous Dave's and Carino's in Fargo both closed: staffing. 

Almost a year ago. They closed late Nov of last year. Not seeing any news about the takeout-only location attached to Granite City closing and their online ordering system is still up.

On 9/30/2022 at 1:56 PM, Oxbow6 said:

The owners of McKenzie River and Johnny Carinos (just to name a couple) in Bismarck would like a word with you.

The owner of Mckenzie river in Bismarck was the reason he had no staff. Unfortunate because I liked their food. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A buddy owns a propane company and is looking for a driver.  I asked him about it....he said one problem, rules were changed and in order to get a CDL you have to take a class which costs $4-$5K.  Imagine how many bus trips that takes to pay back.  So as the older generation quits driving bus, it is now more difficult (or ridiculously expensive anyway) to get the CDL in order to do so.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

A buddy owns a propane company and is looking for a driver.  I asked him about it....he said one problem, rules were changed and in order to get a CDL you have to take a class which costs $4-$5K.  Imagine how many bus trips that takes to pay back.  So as the older generation quits driving bus, it is now more difficult (or ridiculously expensive anyway) to get the CDL in order to do so.

That doesn't sound right. 
https://www.dot.nd.gov/divisions/driverslicense/cdlrequirements.htm#cost 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

It is correct.  Starting in Feb. of 22 all new commercial drivers are required to take ELDT (Entry Level Driver Training).  I believe now that some companies are getting their own staff trained so they can offer the training in-house.

So say you have a guy that's been driving tandem axle trucks since he was 9 or 10. Was float shifting at 12. Went on to a career where he wrote software to automate a manual transmission to be self-shifting based on driver push-button commands so he's driven Class 8s around a test track "a couple times". And he may have written software for school buses so he's driven those too. That guy has to do this whole new hokey-pokey* should he want a CDL? Asking for a friend. 

*https://www.ndmca.org/entry-level-driver-training-theory-class-a/ 

I'm telling ya, the elected officials and bureaucrats who come up with this stuff couldn't organize a three-car parade: They can't see the logical outcome of a decision path. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So say you have a guy that's been driving tandem axle trucks since he was 9 or 10. Was float shifting at 12. Went on to a career where he wrote software to automate a manual transmission to be self-shifting based on driver push-button commands so he's driven Class 8s around a test track "a couple times". And he may have written software for school buses so he's driven those too. That guy has to do this whole new hokey-pokey* should he want a CDL? Asking for a friend. 

I'm telling ya, the elected officials and bureaucrats who come up with this stuff couldn't organize a three-car parade: They can't see the logical outcome of a decision path. 

image.png.0eae7272ac028f73ace7d7ec22f0f496.png

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Just putting the blame where it belongs. Often those "bureacrats" have their hands tied by elected officials or political appointees who make decision on things they know nothing about. 

Of course the DMV, they're just @#$^&.

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yes. They have made it extremely difficult to fill the CDL driver shortage.

I am in transportation and logistics working for a larger LTL freight company, and we have so many openings for CDL drivers..

On top of all that, the CDL classes that are required are 8-5  M-F for about 3 weeks, and cost a bunch of money  (about $6,000) and you cannot miss much at all!

So, unless you already don’t have a job, and you DO have the money to go do the classes. You’re screwed. 

You can’t take 3-4 weeks off work, pay to go do the classes and hope you find a job after you finish. On top of all of that, most LTL or truckload companies won’t hire a driver with less than 1 full year of experience due to insurance reasons, AND, you have to at least be 21 which rules  out a lot of kids that would go get a CDL at 18 - but those same kids are going into diesel tech or welding programs instead( or whatever else) by the time they are 21, they have a career in a good trade or could be even be graduated with a 4 year degree (most of which are trash these days anyway, but still)

BSC has been trying to help out by getting their CDL program off the ground and doubling the training units they have, along with starting a diesel tech program, but the insurance companies and Washington have both created the shortage and exacerbated the problem with all the new regulations.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk  

BSC CDL program  

https://bismarckstate.edu/continuingeducation/business/Career-Pathways/Commercial-Driving-(CDL)/

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, FightingSU said:

On top of all that, the CDL classes that are required are 8-5  M-F for about 3 weeks, and cost a bunch of money  (about $6,000) and you cannot miss much at all!

Hmmm.  I know where to find a bunch of captive people who are already available for those class times and whose education is already fully subsidized…HIGH SCHOOL.

It seems that society looks to trade schools, colleges, and universities almost exclusively to meet workforce needs, but we definitely need to expand our thinking.  A quarter or module of HS devoted to CDL might actually draw students, and could open a pipeline that will address the problem.  Anybody know if these programs exist?

And speaking about captive learners, what about prisons?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Hmmm.  I know where to find a bunch of captive people who are already available for those class times and whose education is already fully subsidized…HIGH SCHOOL.

It seems that society looks to trade schools, colleges, and universities almost exclusively to meet workforce needs, but we definitely need to expand our thinking.  A quarter or module of HS devoted to CDL might actually draw students, and could open a pipeline that will address the problem.  Anybody know if these programs exist?

And speaking about captive learners, what about prisons?

Agreed. But you’d still have to get the age minimum From 21 changed.