SiouxSports.com Forum

Spuds need ... drivers?

The Sicatoka

17 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

When are the self driving EV buses going to be available to solve this issue??

As soon as the 5 MVA transformers are built and installed at all the EV charge truck stops. 

"911, what's your emergency? ... Oh, yes Mr. Oxbow, we know you called 10 minutes ago and your house is on fire, but the new EV pumper truck needs another 3 hours on the charger before it can roll out to your location." 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

As soon as the 5 MVA transformers are built and installed at all the EV charge truck stops. 

"911, what's your emergency? ... Oh, yes Mr. Oxbow, we know you called 10 minutes ago and your house is on fire, but the new EV pumper truck needs another 3 hours on the charger before it can roll out to your location." 

Me responding....."Please hurry! The smoke billowing from my roof is causing an existential crisis with our climate".

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Watch…this will be the next Title 9 battleground:  equal access to drivers and equal cancellations due to transportation. 

Don’t  give them any ideas… this is sad. Nobody wants to work or do anything. Probably been nobody new getting a bus license in years. No body younger. Nobody to replace an aging demographic of drivers. 

2 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

... Probably been nobody new getting a bus license in years. No body younger. Nobody to replace an aging demographic of drivers. 

All correct, but there's another aspect. -> My septic system pumper (takes a CDL to drive the "honey wagon") pointed it out to me ...

A CDL includes random drug testing.
Medical or recreational (legal) marijuana fails you on the CDL drug test. 

Many folks don't get their CDL knowing their 'weekend habit' will fail them out in no time anyway. 

This is a hidden negative impact of legalization. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

All correct, but there's another aspect. -> My septic system pumper (takes a CDL to drive the "honey wagon") pointed it out to me ...

A CDL includes random drug testing.
Medical or recreational (legal) marijuana fails you on the CDL drug test. 

Many folks don't get their CDL knowing their 'weekend habit' will fail them out in no time anyway. 

This is a hidden negative impact of legalization. 

The scary thing is that their "solution" to this will be to simply stop testing and allow the drug use by CDL holders.

4 hours ago, streetsahead said:

Many districts can't get bus drivers for daily school routes let alone activities. It's very unfortunate and I don't see what the solution is.

Same way to fix the teacher shortage:

-Make it so drivers feel respected and not treated like crap when driving

-$$$$ 

• Upvote 4

In all seriousness, this does really suck and is terrible for all involved.  

Hope that something can get figured out soon so we can avoid activites being cancelled.  Its bad enough that there are barely enough officials to do games, don't need to compound the issue with transportation. 

14 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hmmm.... not to understate the seriousness of the problem, but if it really is as severe at the tweet sounds, wouldn't they have sent this out with say six months notice to recruit drivers?   Getting a Bus License seems like it takes more than "a few days".   

(Maybe they did and I just missed it.)

18 hours ago, FightingSU said:

Don’t  give them any ideas… this is sad. Nobody wants to work or do anything. Probably been nobody new getting a bus license in years. No body younger. Nobody to replace an aging demographic of drivers. 

Gotta call BS on the "Nobody wants to work" troup.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Hmmm.... not to understate the seriousness of the problem, but if it really is as severe at the tweet sounds, wouldn't they have sent this out with say six months notice to recruit drivers?   Getting a Bus License seems like it takes more than "a few days".   

(Maybe they did and I just missed it.)

Anywhere I travel (FAR, WF, BIS, GFK, into SD) I've seen "drivers wanted" signs as commonly as "help wanted".

• Upvote 2