SiouxSports.com Forum

Spuds need ... drivers?

The Sicatoka

1 minute ago, Johnny Five said:

WTF...3 weeks and $6K.  Unbelievable.  

Yup. And another issue is the new programs almost exclusively teach on automatics… so when the new guys get out, some of the older/smaller trucking outfits don’t have automatics, and the bigger companies then end up having to let the new employees drive the new trucks and the old guys get stuck with the older trucks. 

Just now, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Or you could have tiered licensing, and apprentice gigs (smaller equipment?) from 18-21.

There is definitely some room for some improvement and changes all around. I can see the argument we don’t want a bunch of essentially high school seniors driving 53’ trailers and doubles down the highway. It’s just a mess. So a tiered system for maybe smaller trucks could be an idea. You don’t need a CDL for what’s called a straight truck. Where the thing is all one unit. You see these around town a lot. But you’d probably won’t get hired regardless without your CDL. 

• Upvote 1

So back to the issue which started this thread.  

If Robert steps up and wants to drive HS Spuds to their activities, he has to go through this class.  So he's 3  weeks and $6K in the hole.  I'm guessing the bussing companies or school are not going to front that cost either?  

Seems like quite the conundrum just to get the kids to a sporting event.  

Just a quick look around BisMan and they're hiring for school bus drivers nearly everywhere too.  

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

So back to the issue which started this thread.  

If Robert steps up and wants to drive HS Spuds to their activities, he has to go through this class.  So he's 3  weeks and $6K in the hole.  I'm guessing the bussing companies or school are not going to front that cost either?  

Seems like quite the conundrum just to get the kids to a sporting event.  

Just a quick look around BisMan and they're hiring for school bus drivers nearly everywhere too.  

Well, to be honest. I think a bus license  and a CDL are two different things. I think a bus license is a lot easier to get. I might be wrong. 

1 hour ago, FightingSU said:

Yeah. Class A, B. And I think a bus license is easier to get. But yeah. 

I have a neighbor with a CDL. He tells me the endorsement to transport school children is the hardest of all to earn. With a CDL you can drive a bus full of drunk adults around for a bachelor party Saturday night, but once the school kids board the exact same bus Monday morning you need an additional endorsement. He tells me it's actually easier to get a license to haul a 50' trailer of flammable liquid around town than it is to get a school bus endorsement.  

• Upvote 2