SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 ND High School Hockey

5 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I watched a player take out the knee of the oppositions best player and laughed about it on the bench. Player missed 3/4 of season.  Being it was at a preseason jamboree made it even more frustrating.

If I am in charge of the team with the offending player on it, the offending player is off the team the next day. I don't care who he is or how talented he is, he is gone.

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2022 at 8:23 AM, sioux rube said:

These are my buddies 2 sons who took nasty hits with knees up in Williston Saturday. Only one had a call for a 2 minute tripping. Both intent to injure and both have been reported. Both brothers hurt with one having a possible broken ankle and the other with possible torn ligaments in knee 

IMG_4645.MOV IMG_4644.MOV

OMG, no place in the game for that crap.  Plenty of opportunity to make a body check but took the chicken $&^@ way out.  Nobody could possibly even argue that those weren't blatant and intentional.  I'm not saying there was an absolute intent to injure, but those are about as obvious as you can make a kneeing penalty.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, SIOUXpucks said:

OMG, no place in the game for that crap.  Plenty of opportunity to make a body check but took the chicken $&^@ way out.  Nobody could possibly even argue that those weren't blatant and intentional.  I'm not saying there was an absolute intent to injure, but those are about as obvious as you can make a kneeing penalty.

The one at center ice got no penalty, the other a measly 2 minute tripping penalty 

24 minutes ago, waldo said:

Rube

I agree these should have been penalties and maybe the refs are bad but unless someone has a high def video of where the refs eyes are at the moment of impact, they might not have seen it. 

The puck was on both players sticks when they got hit. Not sure where their eyes would be other than the puck carrier 

52 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Both should of been majors with a game minimum 

Yes they are both absolutely plays that must result in  5&Game calls, and frankly we need to be erring on the side of caution on those.

Unfortunately WDA is much more wading through bullcrap plays like this vs skilled competition.

As for refs' yeah thats a tough one.

We MUST have refs and we have to hyper err on the side of supporting our refs...

HOWEVER this means we aren't holding the bad, BAD, VERY BAD, and dangerously incompetent refs accountable (and every town has one... or two) .... and that's a major problem.

Rube,

Not that I have as much experience coaching as you but I retired this year after 22 years of coaching, actually my son played summer hockey for you when Amber was also on the team. I started reffing 7 years ago because we were so short and here’s what happened about 5 years ago that really made me look at things different. I was doing a PW game, I’m on the goal line and the puck squirts out from a scrum in the crease. The puck goes into the other corner and three guys are going after it, as the goalie gets up he losses his stick and it slide’s towards me. I looked down for a split second so I wouldn’t trip on it and hear a loud impact with the boards. When I look up I see a kid on the ice and his coach goes nuts!  I asked my partner and he couldn’t see it because he was screened by other players. Coach is going nuts yelling that he could see I was looking straight at it. I finally told him what happened and he was still pisses but let it go. Since then when coaching and I disagree with a call I’ll ask the ref what he saw, right or wrong refs can’t see everything. 

48 minutes ago, waldo said:

Rube,

Not that I have as much experience coaching as you but I retired this year after 22 years of coaching, actually my son played summer hockey for you when Amber was also on the team. I started reffing 7 years ago because we were so short and here’s what happened about 5 years ago that really made me look at things different. I was doing a PW game, I’m on the goal line and the puck squirts out from a scrum in the crease. The puck goes into the other corner and three guys are going after it, as the goalie gets up he losses his stick and it slide’s towards me. I looked down for a split second so I wouldn’t trip on it and hear a loud impact with the boards. When I look up I see a kid on the ice and his coach goes nuts!  I asked my partner and he couldn’t see it because he was screened by other players. Coach is going nuts yelling that he could see I was looking straight at it. I finally told him what happened and he was still pisses but let it go. Since then when coaching and I disagree with a call I’ll ask the ref what he saw, right or wrong refs can’t see everything. 

Now I’m curious as to who you are. I understand that refs can have their eyes elsewhere but these 2 incidents there really wasn’t anything else going on 

Rube

I sent you a PM on SiouxSports. Here’s what I see in the first video

1. if you look at the far ref there is a player coming off right next to him that may have distracted his eyes for a split second. 
2. Far refs angle to the hit may have made it look different from there

3.  4 white guys on the ice in front of the bench, both refs might have looked there for too many men and looked away from the hit. 

4.  I’m assuming the near ref is near the blue line so blue #16 may have blocked his view. 

5. Maybe a parent banged on the glass or yelled something, maybe the ref caught an edge, maybe a player or coach from the bench said or did something, bottom line is none of us know what the refs actually saw.  

When I started reffing after 15 years of coaching, I figured how hard could it be after all I’ve got every call right from the bench for 15 years!!  I can honestly say every ref I’ve worked with is trying to do their best, but they are human and make mistakes. I have one question for you about the games your team played last week, if you watched videos of them, how many times would you say to yourself “I should have done this or I should have put #_ in instead of #_”?

Both hits deserve higher level review because of "distance". They were lining it up a zone away. That is, for lack of a better word, premeditation. 

I will also say, with the prevalence of cameras and video today, I'm glad I turned in my stripes long ago. 

55 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Both hits deserve higher level review because of "distance". They were lining it up a zone away. That is, for lack of a better word, premeditation. 

I will also say, with the prevalence of cameras and video today, I'm glad I turned in my stripes long ago. 

He did get a response from Fletcsh and he said there needs to be some sort of suspensions for both players. I’ll let you know what that is when it’s resolved 

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I hear ya.  Started in 97 working every level where I live and last season was the first season I didn't officiate anything.  I don't miss it all.

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Turned mine in back in 87’. With work and coaching it got to be to much 

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

While fair to ask the refs what they saw, blaming them without details indeed isn't fair.  The ownership of those plays is the players', and after that the coaches, for possibly tolerating it.  I would hope that a coach seeing that type of play would use it as a teaching moment at a minimum, and if there has been a pattern, I'd hope that the coach would discipline the players himself.  Sadly, not all coaches are wired with a moral compass and will actually encourage goonish play, which is really sad.  I don't want to unfairly judge the coach here, but if those plays were made by two different players, and neither was disciplined by the coach, I'd worry about a culture problem starting at the top.  

22 minutes ago, SIOUXpucks said:

While fair to ask the refs what they saw, blaming them without details indeed isn't fair.  The ownership of those plays is the players', and after that the coaches, for possibly tolerating it.  I would hope that a coach seeing that type of play would use it as a teaching moment at a minimum, and if there has been a pattern, I'd hope that the coach would discipline the players himself.  Sadly, not all coaches are wired with a moral compass and will actually encourage goonish play, which is really sad.  I don't want to unfairly judge the coach here, but if those plays were made by two different players, and neither was disciplined by the coach, I'd worry about a culture problem starting at the top.  

I had my peewee team up in Williston a couple weeks ago. Williston High was playing Notre Dame before our game. One of the same players that did one of the cheap hits to a Blue Jay player got a major for checking from behind. It was right in front of me and it was nasty. Coach of the Jays said once they got up 2-0 Williston starting gooning it up. That falls on the head coach 

• Upvote 1