SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 - The Hoggsbreath Brunch Returns?

MafiaMan

3 hours ago, ToDaClub said:

Don't know if this has been posted, but this is the Alumni get together for Friday

UND NCHC Pregame Party
March 18, 2022 | 4 p.m.
Patrick McGovern’s Pub & Restaurant
225 7th St W, St Paul, MN 55102
Puck drop at 7:37 p.m.

Yeah, this is the one I saw.

Alright, let’s do it.  11:30 am on Saturday at the Hoggsbreath in Little Canada.  It’s typically pretty quiet around that time so we’ll have the place to ourselves mostly. 

Good food, good eats, good storytelling.  

Can I get a head count so I can give the owners an idea of how many are attending?

Right now, it’s officially 1:  me. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Alright, let’s do it.  11:30 am on Saturday at the Hoggsbreath in Little Canada.  It’s typically pretty quiet around that time so we’ll have the place to ourselves mostly. 

Good food, good eats, good storytelling.  

Can I get a head count so I can give the owners an idea of how many are attending?

Right now, it’s officially 1:  me. 

Unfortunately out 

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Come on people, where is everyone? This used to be a big event. We need to rekindle the spirit of the WCHA era.

I'd love to be able to make it again to this event.

Maybe next year...it's a bit longer travel from AZ compared to when I lived in GF in my younger days.  :D

14 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Come on people, where is everyone? This used to be a big event. We need to rekindle the spirit of the WCHA era.

Agree 100%.  In decent years, we had 25 or so people attend.  In 2013, upwards of 75 people showed up.  C’mon out and meet some of the folks you know only as nicknames on this message board.  

There will also be a special presentation to the family of @sprig that will be worth the trip in itself.  Plus, @Goon and @Wilbur will no doubt ask me to retell the “Sioux Storytime” classic, “How MafiaMan Cost Us the 1998 NCAA Championship.”  The event will conclude with a group photo underneath the Hoggsbreath sign, which will be personally customized for us by the owners, Tom and Jossie DuRay.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Agree 100%.  In decent years, we had 25 or so people attend.  In 2013, upwards of 75 people showed up.  C’mon out and meet some of the folks you know only as nicknames on this message board.  

There will also be a special presentation to the family of @sprig that will be worth the trip in itself.  Plus, @Goon and @Wilbur will no doubt ask me to retell the “Sioux Storytime” classic, “How MafiaMan Cost Us the 1997 NCAA Championship.”  The event will conclude with a group photo underneath the Hoggsbreath sign, which will be personally customized for us by the owners, Tom and Jossie DuRay.  

You mean 1998 NCAA title, don't you?

On 3/16/2022 at 7:25 PM, MafiaMan said:

I can now confirm that our late good friend @sprig‘s son and wife will be there along with Mrs. @sprig.  She knows that Tim had many friends on this board and is looking forward to seeing some of them on Saturday!

My favorite sprig memory:

I had never met sprig before.  I believe it was the 1st or 2nd year that the Frozen Faceoff was at the Target Center.  We had seats in the first row of the second level.
Before the first game, we were sitting in our seats when a gentleman walked up to our seats and said "are you brianvf from the siouxsports message board?"  :D Ha, that was a little surprising, he said he had recognized me from a pic posted earlier from a previous gathering.  Turns out his seats were the same level, just one section over.
So he ended up coming over before each game that year and we talked Sioux hockey.  Such a friendly, personable guy that loved to talk UND hockey.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Even though I have never attended this and will not be in the cities this weekend - I hope this tradition continues and grows

I was thinking the exact same thing. Let’s keep this alive  I’ve seen pics and looks fun. Great time of year. 

6 hours ago, FightingSU said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Let’s keep this alive  I’ve seen pics and looks fun. Great time of year. 

It’s still gonna happen - I’m not expecting a huge crowd this year, but I have been surprised before!

11:30 am Saturday!

Front and back side view - each block is about 8” x 8” and 4” from front to back.  

I have a local friend in western WI who puts these together.  If you’re interested in one for yourself or as a gift for someone, you know where to find me.

55BFA762-97D1-41CB-9400-EDA420A6D856.jpeg

4A547660-B072-4B43-AA09-9D6A3F046FE4.jpeg

It was such a treat to be able to meet Tim's wife.  She was truly touched by all the kind words from everyone.  I got to talk to her and found myself getting a little teary-eyed.  Sprig was always first class when I talked to him.  Always.  A guy you'll never forget.