SiouxSports.com Forum

West Illinois VS UND Homecoming week

Nodak78

8 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It “works” for UND because it is their identity, it’s what they do via Freund. Now, is it the best way to develop the QB position and bolster the offense? I don’t think so - it’s absent around the country for a reason. I think it hurts leadership and development at QB position, but Freund is the QB coach, so I guess he knows best …

I still stand by the old adage: if you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterback. Obviously, if you have a good QB, you play him the entire time. Indirect proof neither Schuster or Vaughn is good enough to get the job done. 

We don't have two quarterbacks.  Vaughn just runs our version of the wildcat, with the added ability to throw a little more.  The comment about our system being indirect proof Schuster isn't good enough to get the job done is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on this forum, and that's saying something.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Vs SIU I saw a different QB come in and spark this team and than a starter make plays and make a game we were out of.  

Yesterday I saw two QBs do what they each do pretty well.  We have two different offenses that I don’t think the other could run efficiently.  There will likely come a time when one makes a mistake or two and people question or continue to question him but the last game and a three quarters it has worked.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

We don't have two quarterbacks.  Vaughn just runs our version of the wildcat, with the added ability to throw a little more.  The comment about our system being indirect proof Schuster isn't good enough to get the job done is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on this forum, and that's saying something.

Your explanation is the “wildcat”?

If you think what UND does is commonplace successful offense, you are mistaken. And it hasn’t been successful for UND. Total points scored, turnovers, procedural penalties, and awful red zone efficiency has plagued this offense in 2021

Some recognize that and have concerns with how the QB position factors into all that. As for ridiculous hyperbole in regards to posting history on this board, that would be you somehow implying the staff doesn’t see limitations with Schuster, but whatever gets your point across I guess. 

Bottom line, teams don’t run “wildcat” as much as UND does if they know their QB is very good. Why? Because everyone knows you don’t take a good QB off the field. 

Still obvious that, deep down, UND knows their current QB situation is not great but playing the split of Schuster and “wildcat” Vaughn is the best chance UND has to win right now. Obvious Schuster has several limitations.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

The team 75 miles to the south.....apparently doesn't have a QB.....since they had to bring Cam in. 

And this isn’t ridiculous posting material on the board? Some on here have lost their mind …

also, that team is 7-0, not 3-4. Why you would bring this up as a possible point is beyond me.

2 hours ago, homer said:

Vs SIU I saw a different QB come in and spark this team and than a starter make plays and make a game we were out of.  

Yesterday I saw two QBs do what they each do pretty well.  We have two different offenses that I don’t think the other could run efficiently.  There will likely come a time when one makes a mistake or two and people question or continue to question him but the last game and a three quarters it has worked.  

UND lost the game vs SIU. No moral victories. 

UND played well at home vs a poor WIU team yesterday. 

I hope the system improves and UND can upset Missouri State in Springfield on Saturday, or else playoff chances will be significantly hurt. 

12 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

And this isn’t ridiculous posting material on the board? Some on here have lost their mind …

also, that team is 7-0, not 3-4. Why you would bring this up as a possible point is beyond me.

So if we wouldn't have went on it on 4th down from our 20 and won that game, and if our kicker makes a kick the weekend before and we have a winning record, then you are saying nobody on this board should question our QB play then either huh?  Ok.  I do realize Tommy has some limitations, never said he didn't.  Just pointing out that QB U just south of us doesn't seem to have a perfect QB either, regardless of their record. You could say we had a better QB than them last year, not sure.....could maybe say it again this year but I haven't see their transfer kid play more than just against NDSU when he didn't throw the ball at all.  

• Upvote 3

You know who thinks Tommy is a great QB?

The MVFC coaches, media and SID's who voted him First Team All Conference at the beginning of the season.

I know they aren't as smart as the "experts" on this board, but they do have a different point of view to consider.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

So if we wouldn't have went on it on 4th down from our 20 and won that game, and if our kicker makes a kick the weekend before and we have a winning record, then you are saying nobody on this board should question our QB play then either huh?  Ok.  I do realize Tommy has some limitations, never said he didn't.  Just pointing out that QB U just south of us doesn't seem to have a perfect QB either, regardless of their record. You could say we had a better QB than them last year, not sure.....could maybe say it again this year but I haven't see their transfer kid play more than just against NDSU when he didn't throw the ball at all.  

If, but, …

too many hypotheticals for me to take this seriously 

und is what they are, 3-4. 

a sneak here and a missed field goal there didn’t lose und those games. Football games are 60 minutes of several plays, and the culmination of everything leads up to wins and losses. The sneak and missed field goals are just plays easily remembered by the masses. Make a few more plays in the fourth quarter or in the redzone and then fourth down and 1 on the 20 or a last second field goal attempt never even need to happen.

again , und is what their record says they are. Get over it and accept it. Now, look ahead: there are opportunities to improve and get better. 

53 minutes ago, shep said:

The MVFC coaches, media and SID's who voted him First Team All Conference at the beginning of the season.

I know they aren't as smart as the "experts" on this board, but they do have a different point of view to consider.

Think he’ll be anything conference this season? Regression happens.  Needs to do better. Accept it. Still time fortunately. 

last comment I make on UND’s QB situation at this time: I am NOT anti-Schuster. I want him to do well so und succeeds. He does some things well, like limit turnovers and put the ball in the right place at the right time. With unds offensive ineptitude at times, however, I just have identified things he could do better, that’s all. Here’s to hoping he has a great game versus Missouri State and UND pulls the much needed upset. 

1 hour ago, shep said:

All based on the first 4 games last spring. This team is close to being a championship caliber team, It needs a QB who can make a difference and make the plays to win a close game.  So far, its not Tommy.  He had huge stats on Saturday, but w/o Otis long screen play, its the same 5 yards per attempt.  IMO that will NOT get it done against a good defense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

All based on the first 4 games last spring. This team is close to being a championship caliber team, It needs a QB who can make a difference and make the plays to win a close game.  So far, its not Tommy.  He had huge stats on Saturday, but w/o Otis long screen play, its the same 5 yards per attempt.  IMO that will NOT get it done against a good defense.

Have Bubba recruit better then. QV isn't the answer no matter how many texts and emails he has hanging over you.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

At least QV is automatic at getting the 4th and 1.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Have Bubba recruit better than. QV isn't the answer no matter how many texts and emails he has hanging over you.

Not sure what that means.   I have never said QV is the answer, but its obviously not Tommy either.  We need a QB who can run and pass to lead us to the promise land.  It is what it will take to get UND over the top.  Throwing 30 5 yard passes and sprinkling in a few tricks will rarely beat the good teams.

It was the threat of QV running up the middle which opened up the outside running game.

• Upvote 1

I think what many people are overlooking here is that games are won and lost up front.  On Saturday, our offensive line got us 200+ yards rushing, limited penalties, and kept the QBs on their feet (albeit against a bottom tier MVFC team).  When that happens...this offense looks pretty dang good!  We still struggled in the red zone though...and that's because we couldn't generate enough push to knock WIU off the ball when everyone knew what was coming.  We often have to resort to "smoke and mirrors" to get it done inside the 20.  That is the single greatest limiting factor I see in our offense right now, and it's not totally unexpected with youth and inexperience moving into starting roles.  That should continue to improve as they season.

Tommy can fake a handoff and throw the ball 40 yards downfield...which is about all we ever ask of a QB in going deep.  He made a throw to Richter on Saturday that was right where it needed to be (and Richter made a great adjustment to it).  But with Maag not really being able to factor into the offense, our ability to stretch the field is SEVERELY limited right now.  We need to address that in a big way through recruiting/development if we want to take the next step.  The throw Tommy probably can't make is the 20 yard frozen rope into a window or a deep out route.  I'm not going to knock him too badly for it...outside of a couple of generational QB's at the farm school...there are a lot of FCS level QB's that can't make that throw.

This team will go as far as it's offensive line takes them in my opinion.  We looked damned good this spring when we were rushing for 275+ every game.  If we can get back to consistent 225+ yards per game on the ground, we will be just fine!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Think he’ll be anything conference this season? Regression happens.  Needs to do better. Accept it. Still time fortunately. 

last comment I make on UND’s QB situation at this time: I am NOT anti-Schuster. I want him to do well so und succeeds. He does some things well, like limit turnovers and put the ball in the right place at the right time. With unds offensive ineptitude at times, however, I just have identified things he could do better, that’s all. Here’s to hoping he has a great game versus Missouri State and UND pulls the much needed upset. 

W ILL, was the first MVFC game this season where Tommy was the best QB and in that game QV took 15-20 snaps.

15 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I think our use of quarterbacks lately has been effective.

yes and no. There has been some very questionable stuff as well. I like throwing the Vaughn wrinkle in there, but it almost seemed like we overused Q in the redzone. Tommy is supposed to be the accurate passer, let him find a guy. If he gets out of the pocket he can almost always get a few yards on the run.

3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

You thought Q Patterson looked like a better QB for NDSU?

Absolutely.  He ran for 110 yards and didn't throw any picks.  Tommy INT was one of the worst throws I have seen from any QB this season.  W/O the "trick play", Tommy was 17-29 for 146 yards(5 yards per attempt).

• Downvote 1