SiouxSports.com Forum

"Stogies and Scotch" - Pick the 2021 Field

The Sicatoka

Why is bussing deemed to be so much safer than flying?  Or is it really being used by the NC$$ as an excuse to reduce costs?  Is there really a quantifiable difference in risk that can justify ruining bracket integrity?  I’m sure they’ll also use “attendance” as a reason to ruin bracket integrity as well, which is the ultimate hypocrisy - more people is more risk, right?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, farce poobah said:

1983 still hurts.   2nd place North Dakota gets left out - and Ralph Romano of UMD is on the committee and like magic 4th place UMD gets in.  Argh.   I can hope its better this time around, but I expect there to be hard feelings.

1983 tourney was in Grand Forks, right?  

• Upvote 1

I can’t see a scenario where they take 4 teams from the WCHA, so Northern absolutely holds the fate of Bemidji in their hands.  It’s Mankato, LSSU and either BSU or Northern.

I also can’t imagine them taking 2 from Atlantic hockey, so that tourney is really win or be done.  AiC or Canisius.

they also aren’t going to take 5 teams from hockey East, so if Lowell pulls it off, I think that torpedos Providence. BC, UMass, BU and either Providence or Lowell.

the ECAC is interesting. Quinnipiac is in.  So if St Lawrence wins, they will likely send 2 teams. It’s either Quinnipiac or Quinnipiac and St Lawrence.

big 10 should be set with Minny, WI, and MI.

NCHC has UND, SCSU and UMD.  Omaha is firmly on the bubble.  

LSSU, Omaha, Bemidji and Providence are firmly rooting for Quinnipiac and UMass

30 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I can’t see a scenario where they take 4 teams from the WCHA, so Northern absolutely holds the fate of Bemidji in their hands.  It’s Mankato, LSSU and either BSU or Northern.

I also can’t imagine them taking 2 from Atlantic hockey, so that tourney is really win or be done.  AiC or Canisius.

they also aren’t going to take 5 teams from hockey East, so if Lowell pulls it off, I think that torpedos Providence. BC, UMass, BU and either Providence or Lowell.

the ECAC is interesting. Quinnipiac is in.  So if St Lawrence wins, they will likely send 2 teams. It’s either Quinnipiac or Quinnipiac and St Lawrence.

big 10 should be set with Minny, WI, and MI.

NCHC has UND, SCSU and UMD.  Omaha is firmly on the bubble.  

LSSU, Omaha, Bemidji and Providence are firmly rooting for Quinnipiac and UMass

Do you think DU has an outside chance of getting in? 

Just now, Godsmack said:

Do you think DU has an outside chance of getting in? 

I don’t if it is a merit based selection.  If they get in, they will bounce teams with winning records who finished higher in both the conference tourney and the regular season.  

just like I don’t think they take 5 from Hocjey East, I don’t think they take 5 from the NCHC

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I don’t if it is a merit based selection.  If they get in, they will bounce teams with winning records who finished higher in both the conference tourney and the regular season.  

just like I don’t think they take 5 from Hocjey East, I don’t think they take 5 from the NCHC

DU’s argument of why them instead of Omaha is that they had a better head to head record but to me, Omaha had a much better overall record, they took care of their overall conference business better than DU did and to me, that should count for more than their head to head. Head to head should only come into play if it’s a tie breaker situation.

StLarry / Qpac
UML / UMass
Canicius / AIC
NMU / LSS 

One autobid is stolen (NMU/LSS); up to three more might be (spoiler: I see Qpac, AIC, UMass in no matter what). 

In the "four stolen" scenario there is no more bubble. 

6 hours ago, DamStrait said:

Why is bussing deemed to be so much safer than flying?  Or is it really being used by the NC$$ as an excuse to reduce costs?  Is there really a quantifiable difference in risk that can justify ruining bracket integrity?  I’m sure they’ll also use “attendance” as a reason to ruin bracket integrity as well, which is the ultimate hypocrisy - more people is more risk, right?

The whole reduce travel argument is dumb. The NCAA had every basketball team travel to Indianapolis, the woman's hockey tournament had teams travel to the higher seed then to one location. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

If St. Lawrence wins today, does the ECAC get them and Quinnipiac into the tournament?

ECAC should be 1 bid no matter what their record is. Only 4 teams and one had to end their season early.

But they'll have Quinnipiac in because of their record

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Will the selection committee maintain 1 overall seed vs 16 seed integrity? If so, it’d have to be either NMU or St. Lawrence at this point?

I just want the committee to look at the ECAC and only let St. Lawrence in 

1 minute ago, cberkas said:

The committee doesn’t want too many more west teams in relative to the number of east teams. They’ll figure out a way to mess this selection process up.  

1 minute ago, cberkas said:

I have feeling we are all going to be rolling our eyes that QU receives an at-large bid tomorrow. 2 teams out of a 4 team conference making the tournament is just absurd.

• Upvote 3