SiouxSports.com Forum

Baukol Still An Issue?

geaux_sioux

7 hours ago, nodak651 said:

You're prob right, but in jest, I gotta ask if the team was allowed to work out with him in the off season.

During covid restrictions guys had to get creative. Lunges holding a large dog across the back. Lifting sacks of sand or buckets of concrete. Stuff like that.

Baukol gave them hybrid workout cards though and told them to do their best to simulate if they didn’t have access to real weights.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

During covid restrictions guys had to get creative. Lunges holding a large dog across the back. Lifting sacks of sand or buckets of concrete. Stuff like that.

Baukol gave them hybrid workout cards though and told them to do their best to simulate if they didn’t have access to real weights.

Phase two MUST have these supplies in the new weight room!

I will never discredit a Strength Coach without a real reason too. However, I think part of it too is the change in how we recruit the OL. Under Knauf it was bringing in guys who already weighed 280-310 lbs and hoping it was good weight based on film. Whereas now, we tend to recruit the frame and potential, which adds even more pressure to the strength coach because it is his job to get the right weight added to that frame.

I understand that and give him credit for this year.  However years past I have watched other Dakota schools sign tall, lanky bodies and turn them into 300+ OL.  We didn’t have success doing that.  I watch them sign 9 man players from no where and develop them into valuable starters or contributors.  It’s more than coaching.

I don’t think I ever commented on it and gave him credit after game one because this team is starting to look different, and it’s guys that have been in the program 5 years, not just new recruits.  Culture seems to be changing which is great and that is in all aspects of the program.  

6 minutes ago, homer said:

I understand that and give him credit for this year.  However years past I have watched other Dakota schools sign tall, lanky bodies and turn them into 300+ OL.  We didn’t have success doing that.  I watch them sign 9 man players from no where and develop them into valuable starters or contributors.  It’s more than coaching.

I don’t think I ever commented on it and gave him credit after game one because this team is starting to look different, and it’s guys that have been in the program 5 years, not just new recruits.  Culture seems to be changing which is great and that is in all aspects of the program.  

I could be wrong here, but I think that is what FlinFlan was saying. We weren't necessarily recruiting tall lank frames and building them up. We were recruiting guys who already had decent weight, but it wasn't necessarily the right kind of weight. Ventrelli is a great example of recruiting the right kind of guy, and then turning him into what you need. Recruited at only 250 to play OL, now up to 295 with the right kind of weight. Obviously not everyone develops physically like this, but it is still pretty impressive.

I would think a lot of it has to do with the summer program.  From what i understand the ability for the school to have full summer lifting/conditioning program has been funded and that started the last 2 summers and the players have bought in and there is full participation.  Getting 3 months of lifting and conditioning and not losing momentum from the spring has to be a huge help!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I will never discredit a Strength Coach without a real reason too. However, I think part of it too is the change in how we recruit the OL. Under Knauf it was bringing in guys who already weighed 280-310 lbs and hoping it was good weight based on film. Whereas now, we tend to recruit the frame and potential, which adds even more pressure to the strength coach because it is his job to get the right weight added to that frame.

Mortel, before his unfortunate injury, was a great example of a kid putting on a ton of good weight.

On 3/2/2021 at 7:37 PM, geaux_sioux said:

Seems some of you may need to eat a few plates of crow. That’s all.

Team looks much different.  Maybe Coach Baukol just needs more time to develop his players than other strength coaches do.  The most recent off-season lasted 15 months, instead of 8 months.  Or maybe he had better players to work with, who knows.  Players look big and strong now and are performing at a high level.  Much more so than in recent seasons in my opinion.  Hopefully they can stay healthy too, the season is young......

But I would be happy to eat crow on this subject.....

51 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Team looks much different.  Maybe Coach Baukol just needs more time to develop his players than other strength coaches do.  The most recent off-season lasted 15 months, instead of 8 months.  Or maybe he had better players to work with, who knows.  Players look big and strong now and are performing at a high level.  Much more so than in recent seasons in my opinion.  Hopefully they can stay healthy too, the season is young......

But I would be happy to eat crow on this subject.....

Part of it probably had to with the coaching staffs philosophy, they wanted their o-lineman to slim down last year but they have them beefed up this year.