SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Season

SWSiouxMN

It was very important that UND did not stub their toes this weekend and they passed both tests.   Nice to see Davis have a good scoring game against Omaha.  Good balance from the starters.  8-18 from 3 was nice to see (best shooting they have had percentage wise in a while).

Last two home games coming up next week.  Have to take care of business at home and hit the final 3 road games at 10-5.  With ORU/UMKC getting SDSU and USD to end the season, important to stay even with them for the battle of the 3rd seed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ND-fan said:

Western Illinois just missed beating KC it would have put us into third place tie with them. Looks like to have third place we will need to beat them at KC.

They have a 4 game homestand with ORU, a makeup game against UST, and then UND, NDSU.  They certainly have the path to that 3rd seed if they take care of business at home.   

I have been thinking how with NCAA giving extra year of eligibility for all players has changed make up the summit conference for women's basketball. I look at the two powers of the conference South Dakota and SDSU there teams would be different for sure and there records i think would be quite different. The first is Coyotes they would have lost the big three and the team would have been quite different loosing all that talent and experience. My guess would be they would still be good team but much like alot of teams in the Summit and there record would not be what is now. Second the Jacks would still be power this year but not quite as deep as they are now. The early going would have been difficult for them without Irwen filling and giving depth for a injured Selland. This alone would have changed their record for the season and early part of the Summit conference. The second part to the equation would be that core to this deep Jackrabbit team would be graduating this spring not looking at another year with total group. Then we come to next three in conference KC, UND, ORU, and NDSU these teams decided either bring back a fifth year player or bring in 5 year player to give them needed player where they were lacking depth mostly they looked for this in the post position. They may have done that with transfer or jucco player but these players have made impacts. But getting back to extra players because of eligibility the conference play i believe has been stronger this year but has made it possible for the South Dakota keep their dominance over the rest of the conference. The question then comes how does this effect the conference going forward and how do team manage their roster going forward. I think for the other eight in the conference what they have done will have little effect because adding one player for a year seems to me can be overcome and have little effect going out future year. The Coyotes on other hand is going to put a gap in their roster at some point unless they choose to go transfer route or Jucco route to fill gaps in their squad or they will be playing younger squad in the future. Jacks look to have managed to keep fairly balanced rotation even keeping these players on and this has been done by using redshirt season. This you have to credit Johnson by keeping players even when they have been redshirted and not transferring while waiting chance to play especially at midmajor.  I think the next couple of seasons are going to be fun to watch and experience because i think were not going to see the gap there has been between the top two and rest of the conference. I also believe if our recruits live up to their potential and rest girls continue develop as planned UND should have good opportunity to be playing in the post season in next few years.

7 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So Leet is done after this season (used up her COVID year).

Anybody know the plans for Orth, Daninger, and Wallace? Will they use their extra years?

Jack made a comment during the Denver game that he's heard rumors that Orth will be back next year. Haven't heard much on the other two.

I believe as it stands now they have fourteen scholarships filled now for next year and that's assuming that Sieben, Erica Lane remain walk on for next year. I also thought we had some offers to other recruits but i assume that can change if need be. If any of seniors do want to continue it would be as walk on with exception of this remaining scholarship. I would like to see both Orth and Daninger  comeback this would give time for the new recruits establish themselves next year and give us added depth and experience.  We have a such a gap with the sophomore class where we only have Dj Davis in sophomore class but i assume they are going to try to retain some of the junior class in 2023-2024 year then we would have balanced out the years again with 4 in class each year. They will have alot to consider in next year on roster formations.

13 minutes ago, UNDfanforalongtime said:

Remember they have to play both South Dakota schools yet. 

They do.

However, that would put them with 6 losses if they dropped both of them, so UND would still need to win to get the head to head tiebreaker to ensure themselves of the 3 seed.  

The KC/ORU matchup is going to be interesting this weekend.  Not sure who I want to win because either result will help UND towards a top 4 seed. 

Can't look ahead to that however, need to take care of business against UST and WIU at home.  Get to 10-5, then hit the road.