SiouxSports.com Forum

Pod style game 9-A nooner with Duluth.

Wilbur

So far I've got us in 2nd place starting game threads.  A bit disappointed, but who had Frisch getting hurt and Kleven going to the WJC?  Anyways, my insiders at undsports.com tell me this is the last time we play Duluth during the regular season, so it'd be nice to get three points and say see ya in March.

If we turn the puck over the amount we did against SCSU its good afternoon real quick.  High off the glass/chip and chase to neutral just isn't a sexy play anymore.  Sad, but true.  As we learned against SCSU a miss play/turnover on the wall can end up in our net in roughly 2 passes or 3 seconds of time.

I see Scheel playing well, and the boys putting in a grind it out effort.  I see more OT though.  2-2 OT tie, and @Dave Berger can tell us who wins in the extra session.    

How many times must I say it: STAY OUT OF THE BOX!!!!

[sorry for shouting]

We don't really have a smash mouth team like we have in the past, so there is really no point in taking so many penalties.  Especially the stupid O-zone and behind the play ones.  Just say no.

• Like 1

Based on that horrible boarding call against Rieger last game, there is not much point in playing “smashmouth “ hockey anymore in this league. Refs wouldn’t have given that a second look 10 years ago during the Hakstol years. Really shouldn’t have attracted a second look even in today’s game.  Greene, Smaby, McWilliam and a host of others wouldn’t have a place in today’s NCHC. 

31 minutes ago, dden3 said:

Based on that horrible boarding call against Rieger last game, there is not much point in playing “smashmouth “ hockey anymore in this league. Refs wouldn’t have given that a second look 10 years ago during the Hakstol years. Really shouldn’t have attracted a second look even in today’s game.  Greene, Smaby, McWilliam and a host of others wouldn’t have a place in today’s NCHC. 

Its not worth it to make a big hit anymore.  If any part of your shoulder gets near their head its a major, and especially so if the guy decides to hold his head and stay down on the ice.  You can't tell me there aren't kids that head out on the ice with the intention of drawing majors if they are hit on the wall.  Turn late, head into boards, get up slow.  Half the d men actually grab guys as they are checking them into the end wall and holding them up so they don't flail into the wall and boom there is your major penalty.   

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Its not worth it to make a big hit anymore.  If any part of your shoulder gets near their head its a major, and especially so if the guy decides to hold his head and stay down on the ice.  You can't tell me there aren't kids that head out on the ice with the intention of drawing majors if they are hit on the wall.  Turn late, head into boards, get up slow.  Half the d men actually grab guys as they are checking them into the end wall and holding them up so they don't flail into the wall and boom there is your major penalty.   

Which makes you wonder if Kleven can adjust to the need to back off hits simply because officials can’t distinguish on borderline plays and always error on the side of a penalty.

4 hours ago, tnt said:

Which makes you wonder if Kleven can adjust to the need to back off hits simply because officials can’t distinguish on borderline plays and always error on the side of a penalty.

If a kid has his head down now its off limits.  You can do everything right, and it's head contact. 

• Upvote 1