SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2020-21

cberkas

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Does anyone believe they'll take a team with an under 0.500 record? 

No, with one exception: Denver.

Reportedly one of the NCAA's stated goals is to reduce air travel as much as possible for the regional tournaments. As host of the Loveland regional, putting Denver in the tourney would accomplish that goal while being defensible* on purely meritorious grounds. 

*HOW defensible is a matter of opinion, of course. 

Edited by Kevin G
typing error

6 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

No, with one exception: Denver.

Reportedly one of the NCAA's stated goals is to reduce air travel as much as possible for the regional tournaments. As host of the Loveland regional, putting Denver in the tourney would accomplish that goal while being defensible* on purely meritorious grounds. 

*HOW defensible is a matter of opinion, of course. 

Which is why Carle specifically said he believes they should be in over Omaha, i.e. the only other team under consideration within driving distance of Loveland. It's one or the other.

8 hours ago, cberkas said:

Nope

They've done it before when they had the chance. The year that changed the rule was Wisconsin getting in over Mankato in 2008. That year the Mavs had a better record overall, better record in the conference, better record head-to-head and Wisconsin had a losing record. I know it was a different time and place, but these committees have a history of making decisions that are not in the best interest of competitiveness and are in the interest of money (either making more or spending less). If they get the chance to take Denver over a Lake State or a Bemidji, I think they will do it without thinking twice.

• Upvote 1

Best as I can tell, between now and Selection Sunday here are games left to be played:

Mar 17:
HEA: BC / UML
HEA: UMass / Prov

Mar 18:
ECAC: Colg / St L

Mar 19: 
AHA: Niag / AIC 
AHA: Army /Canisius 
WCHA: NMU / MSUM
WCHA: Bemidji / Lake St.

Mar 20:
HEA Final 
WCHA Final 
ECAC Final (Colg/StL v Q'pac) 
AHA Final 

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/schedules/ 

The only TV games appear to be the HEA games (on NESN).