SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

2 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

His lead is down to ~15K in AZ and is around 10K i think in GA. 

It'll end up being pretty thin margins just like Trump's win in 2016.

Not disputing that.  The poster said that PA was the ballgame.  It isn’t.  Biden won a convincing electoral college victory.

The excellent turnout on both sides for this election effectively show us where we are in this country.  It is a ~52/48 slight D lean country, with the Rs having advantages in the House (gerrymandering), Senate (two seats per state) and Presidency (electoral college).  Dems have to win by 3-5% or more to counteract these factors.  They did, barely, for the Presidency and House.  The lean is more pronounced in the Senate, where some estimates say that the Ds need a +7 national win to grab the majority.  All elections are effectively turnout elections with few voters crossing over.  

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

What is your response to my thought that the Midwest is simply finally having the virus run its course here versus the coastal states when it happened earlier? That explanation is far more likely that ND and SD we’re doing everything right with the pandemic in May/June when the coastal states were spiking. So either ND did everything right early and New York did everything wrong and then they somehow flip flopped that. Or, my first explanation is better. Which do you think it is?

Looks pretty geographic to me.  Fortunately, NY and maybe some others don't want the vaccine so perhaps the Feds should make sure we get them first. 

3 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Not disputing that.  The poster said that PA was the ballgame.  It isn’t.  Biden won a convincing electoral college victory.

The excellent turnout on both sides for this election effectively show us where we are in this country.  It is a ~52/48 slight D lean country, with the Rs having advantages in the House (gerrymandering), Senate (two seats per state) and Presidency (electoral college).  Dems have to win by 3-5% or more to counteract these factors.  They did, barely, for the Presidency and House.  The lean is more pronounced in the Senate, where some estimates say that the Ds need a +7 national win to grab the majority.  All elections are effectively turnout elections with few voters crossing over.  

Stay tuned.

4 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

What is your response to my thought that the Midwest is simply finally having the virus run its course here versus the coastal states when it happened earlier? That explanation is far more likely that ND and SD we’re doing everything right with the pandemic in May/June when the coastal states were spiking. So either ND did everything right early and New York did everything wrong and then they somehow flip flopped that. Or, my first explanation is better. Which do you think it is?

I think ND was playing a dangerous game all along, and it finally got them.  I don’t think it “burns through” a population though, especially with estimates of only 5% contracting the virus. Might be due to seasonal effects of people moving inside.

The timing doesn’t address the problem of why the case and death rates are so high, though.  Why is ND/SD’s data worse than FL/AZ was in summer?

3 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

I think ND was playing a dangerous game all along, and it finally got them.  I don’t think it “burns through” a population though, especially with estimates of only 5% contracting the virus. Might be due to seasonal effects of people moving inside.

The timing doesn’t address the problem of why the case and death rates are so high, though.  Why is ND/SD’s data worse than FL/AZ was in summer?

To answer that wouldn’t you have to do a comparative analysis of the states in question, with the variables being age and level of health prior to infection. A large percentage of the elderly population in both AZ and FL don’t live there in the summer. That has to be factored in.

Coronavirus absolutely "moves through the population areas" at different times and rates. 

There were people bragging about how Manitoba "did it right" and had zero or very little covid. 

Fast forward to today and they now have headlines that read:

"We're at a critical point." 

Their cases are spiking.

6 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

If it's the same virus then it has nothing to do with geography.   Not sure how to explain it, you were pretty close earlier.  

Look at the charts of every state.  Remarkably similar.  Why are all the midwest states getting hit at once?

1 minute ago, wxman91 said:

Don’t need to test as much if you aren’t in the middle of a huge outbreak.  Would you like to compare more concrete death and hospitalization data?

My prediction is that this post doesn’t age well.  I can see it and I don’t live there.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

If it's the same virus then it has nothing to do with geography.   Not sure how to explain it, you were pretty close earlier.  

Look at the charts of every state.  Remarkably similar.  Why are all the midwest states getting hit at once?

Especially when each of those states have had vastly different responses. The fact that Minnesota is spiking at the same time as the Dakotas bolsters this argument. Minnesota had locked down just as hard as any of the east coast states and yet here we are with the highest numbers we’ve seen in Minnesota. I think it’s foolish to think that anyone has “done it right” or “done it wrong” each state has taken its licks in due time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, homer said:

My prediction is that this post doesn’t age well.  I can see it and I don’t live there.  

The implication that has been raised here before and now is that ND looks bad because of increased testing.  And that is absolutely not the case.  The positivity rate, hospitalization numbers and death count all align to being the worst in the nation.  So, why is ND the worst state for COVID since the original peak in March?  What is it that makes ND “special”?

2 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

The implication that has been raised here before and now is that ND looks bad because of increased testing.  And that is absolutely not the case.  The positivity rate, hospitalization numbers and death count all align to being the worst in the nation.  So, why is ND the worst state for COVID since the original peak in March?  What is it that makes ND “special”?

How many are symptomatic?  Are other states catching the asymptomatic cases?  The more you test, the more asymptomatic cases you will catch.

• Upvote 1

Just now, dmksioux said:

How many are symptomatic?  Are other states catching the asymptomatic cases?  The more you test, the more asymptomatic cases you will catch.

Hospitalizations and deaths don’t matter for asymptomatic counts.  

23 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

So, why is ND the worst state for COVID since the original peak in March?

This is only based on Confirmed Covid cases.

Less testing equals less Confirmed Covid cases.

North Dakota leads the nation in testing per capita.

ND does not lead the nation in positivity rate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

North Dakota certainly has not been fairing well but it’s not the worst death percentage in the country.  Not sure about hospitalizations.  Positive percentage isn’t good with all the testing going on but there are states that are far worse but are testing much less.  Still predicting your post won’t age well in a month.  Certainly hope I’m wrong.  

What they forgot to mention about the Pfizer vaccine:

Pfizer's vaccine requires a storage temperatureof minus 94 degrees Fahrenheit. By comparison, Moderna has said its vaccine must be stored at minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit.

Minus 94.

How many facilities in ND can store something at that temperature?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/covid-vaccine-pfizer-drug-is-more-than-90percent-effective-in-preventing-infection.html