SiouxSports.com Forum

The 2020 Annual Hoggsbreath Brunch

MafiaMan

The annual SiouxSports.com brunch at The Hoggsbreath in Little Canada, MN, will be held on Saturday, March 21st, starting at 11 am.  I look forward to the return of North Dakota to the NCHC Frozen Faceoff and a good crowd of fans in the seats at The Hogg on that Saturday morning.  The event typically concludes around 1 pm — plenty of time to get back downtown for the 3rd place game.

I’ll have the usual assortment of door prizes and goodies and this year, we will pay tribute to a good man and a good friend who we lost this past year, Tim Kessler, known to us as “sprig.”  

The Hoggsbreath is straight north out of St Paul on 35E, then take Highway 36 west to the first exit, Rice Street.  Go north on Rice Street about a mile and it’s on your right-hand side.  It’s literally 10 minutes away from the X and unlike the jam packed overpriced bars you’ll find downtown, you’ll actually be able to enjoy a good priced meal and time with some familiar faces on the message board.

Roll call starts now as I do like to give Jossie and Tom a heads-up on how many people will be coming.  The high water mark was 2013 - we had roughly 75 people in attendance that year and it was awesome.

Any questions, please let me know.  Thank you and I look forward to seeing everyone there!  

P.S.  For those of you who had my cell number, my car was involved in a smash n grab about 10 days ago, forcing me to give up my phone number.  If I have not alerted you of the new number yet and you would like it, send me a PM.

• Upvote 3

I will not be able to attend this year as the wife and I are taking a break from attending the tournament due to having a new baby (Naturally, with my luck, this will be the year UND DOESN’T lay an egg and will win it all). 

That said, I hope everyone who attends has a good time and has several good laughs and stories at the brunch!

-Dan

The Frozen Faceoff is just FOUR WEEKS AWAY!  It's time to start the roll call!  Get out of downtown St Paul and the madness and come to Little Canada, 10 minutes away, and OWN the bar for a few hours.  The Hoggsbreath is kid-friendly and has a great menu selection - from breakfast to burgers and more.  Yes, alcohol is served, for those of you who enjoy Saturday morning mimosas (cough, cough, @ringneck28 and @yzerman19 , cough, cough) along with other beverages.  

We'll have introductions of visitors for those who are new, some raffle items, and some items available for purchase that you will likely not find anywhere else.  Come and meet some of the faces behind the board monikers.  We'll also continue the tradition of "Sioux Fan Storytime," where you can enjoy some fan favorite moments of yesterday.  Some of my personal favorite quips were of @Wilbur constantly having to correct his dad over "Holy Cross" vs "Sacred Heart" as Wilbur Sr. confused the two and when a couple of GPL'ers showed up a few years ago and @Shawn-O broke out the "you guys seem pretty cool...it's a shame the other 18,000 have to ruin it for you" line, which just about made me spit my Mountain Dew all over the place.  And, yes, @Goon will get to hear his favorite on more time - how I am personally responsible for losing the 1998 regional game against Michigan at Yost Ice Arena.  I didn't have the heart to tell Peter Armbrust and Brad DeFauw when I saw them in January that it really wasn't the their fault, it was mine. 

I'm told that @sprig 's family will be making an appearance this year and am excited to see them and share some laughs - and maybe a tear or two - with them.  You won't want to miss this one.   

MafiaMan +2 to 4 

NICE!  I see a couple of new monikers on the early-bird list.

Tom and Jossie update the sign outside of the bar every year, too, so you’ll know you’re at the right place.  We also do a group photo underneath it at the end of the festivities.  Hoping for a good crowd this year!

13 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

NICE!  I see a couple of new monikers on the early-bird list.

Tom and Jossie update the sign outside of the bar every year, too, so you’ll know you’re at the right place.  We also do a group photo underneath it at the end of the festivities.  Hoping for a good crowd this year!

Can't wait!!!

On 2/21/2020 at 8:54 AM, Ice Arena Man said:

Count on me being there at the Hoggsbreath. Looking forward to it!

Ice Arena Man + 1

Hopefully by now Goon will know the way and not get lost.

I use Waze, it's never lets me down. It's easier to get there from St. Paul than Minneapolis. 

On 2/26/2020 at 9:48 AM, MafiaMan said:

This is the legit battle you face with the Hogg.  I had to get my group of buddies out of bed and all dressed while they complained, but they had a tremendous time at the Hogg.

Wish I could be there this year.  If you are in the cities it's a can't miss event. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2020 at 8:28 AM, Wilbur said:

This is the legit battle you face with the Hogg.  I had to get my group of buddies out of bed and all dressed while they complained, but they had a tremendous time at the Hogg.

Wish I could be there this year.  If you are in the cities it's a can't miss event. 

Thanks for the plug, @Wilbur .  Your check is in the mail.

Let’s see some new names on the list this year.  Guests of Honor this year include the family of @sprig — you won’t want to miss this.

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2020 at 8:28 AM, MafiaMan said:

The Frozen Faceoff is just FOUR WEEKS AWAY!  It's time to start the roll call!  Get out of downtown St Paul and the madness and come to Little Canada, 10 minutes away, and OWN the bar for a few hours.  The Hoggsbreath is kid-friendly and has a great menu selection - from breakfast to burgers and more.  Yes, alcohol is served, for those of you who enjoy Saturday morning mimosas (cough, cough, @ringneck28 and @yzerman19 , cough, cough) along with other beverages.  

We'll have introductions of visitors for those who are new, some raffle items, and some items available for purchase that you will likely not find anywhere else.  Come and meet some of the faces behind the board monikers.  We'll also continue the tradition of "Sioux Fan Storytime," where you can enjoy some fan favorite moments of yesterday.  Some of my personal favorite quips were of @Wilbur constantly having to correct his dad over "Holy Cross" vs "Sacred Heart" as Wilbur Sr. confused the two and when a couple of GPL'ers showed up a few years ago and @Shawn-O broke out the "you guys seem pretty cool...it's a shame the other 18,000 have to ruin it for you" line, which just about made me spit my Mountain Dew all over the place.  And, yes, @Goon will get to hear his favorite on more time - how I am personally responsible for losing the 1998 regional game against Michigan at Yost Ice Arena.  I didn't have the heart to tell Peter Armbrust and Brad DeFauw when I saw them in January that it really wasn't the their fault, it was mine. 

I'm told that @sprig 's family will be making an appearance this year and am excited to see them and share some laughs - and maybe a tear or two - with them.  You won't want to miss this one.   

MafiaMan +2 to 4 

I would like to say I wish I could be there this year, but I am going to be in Kauai for my honeymoon.  I'll definitely be having a Mia Tai or some other tropical drink as I watch the games.  I'm hoping that I can watch it on TV not on my phone.  I'm going to be getting the idea into my wife's mind about attending next year though.  She is a Sioux fan so it probably won't be to much work to get that going.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

I would like to say I wish I could be there this year, but I am going to be in Kauai for my honeymoon.  I'll definitely be having a Mia Tai or some other tropical drink as I watch the games.  I'm hoping that I can watch it on TV not on my phone.  I'm going to be getting the idea into my wife's mind about attending next year though.  She is a Sioux fan so it probably won't be to much work to get that going.  

Congratulations, @ringneck28!  May I suggest a wedding weekend Sunday morning mimosa and, shoot, what was that other thing again?  

2 hours ago, ringneck28 said:

Where are your priorities??!?